• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Greenville IN
    I'm looking for a Semi-auto in 17 HMR. Anyone have any experience with this make? I have an Excel rifle but not too happy with it. I'm trying to decide between Volquartsen or Alexander. Any input would be appreciated.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    They are the only company that makes them. Most manufacturers refused to make them because they are dangerous. Ammo makers have always advised against 17hmr semi autos.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Rumor

They are the only company that makes them. Most manufacturers refused to make them because they are dangerous. Ammo makers have always advised against 17hmr semi autos.

That's sort of true. Ruger came so close to making a 10/17 HMR that they actually included it in the standard 10/22 owner's manual. They never produced the gun but there are a lot of 10/22 magnums which have been successfully converted to .17 HMR. I have one that I switch between WMR & HMR and it shoots both very well. Our good friends at Remington are responsible for the great HMR semi-auto scare. Their disclaimer after they produced the dismal Model 597 in .17 HMR blamed the cartridge rather than their inability to tame the beast, so to speak. It simply amazes me that many private individuals have been able to come up with HMR conversions which run without fail...........IF THE OWNER DOES PROPER MAINTENANCE! The primary issue which must be addressed relates to the shape of the round and the 10/22's blow back operation. If you don't keep the chamber clean, you run the risk of a round not fully chambered but which still can be fired. A round firing out-of-battery can blow the gun up. Been there, seen that, luckily nobody injured. I pull a Boresnake through mine every 50 rds, religiously. In it's HMR configuration, with a Clark barrel, it is as accurate as any gun I own, centerfire or rimfire, at 100 yards. Lately, I've been shooting it as a WMR because it's the only .22 magnum I have. It has a Green Mountain barrel and is also very accurate.

Volquartsen Custom makes a .17 HMR semi-auto. It runs about $1K. They are also working on developing a semi-auto for the new .17 WSM. :yesway:
    Check 'em out. https://www.volquartsen.com/

Top Bottom