• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    My fiancé and I will be on our honeymoon next November and we are trying to pick a place. We are set on going to an all inclusive resort but there are so many that we don't know where to go and neither of us have ever been to one. We think we would like to go somewhere in Mexico, probably Cancun, or the Virgin Islands but were open to other suggestions. Just looking for opinions or tips on selecting a place for our honeymoon

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Neither cruises, nor all-inclusive resorts are really my cup of tea, but having said my wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed the two Sandals resorts we have stayed at; Saint Lucia and Antigua.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My fiancé and I will be on our honeymoon next November and we are trying to pick a place. We are set on going to an all inclusive resort but there are so many that we don't know where to go and neither of us have ever been to one. We think we would like to go somewhere in Mexico, probably Cancun, or the Virgin Islands but were open to other suggestions. Just looking for opinions or tips on selecting a place for our honeymoon

Haven't been to Cancun but Ixtapa was nice. The place we stayed was the InterContinental Presidente Resort. It was all inclusive and fairly reasonable. They had a really nice bar, several pools, nice beach, snack bars (by the pool they brought burgers, nachos, drinks and across from the bar in the lobby area they had a pizza bar). The restaurant was pretty decent. Breakfast bar was good. Senor Frogs across the street. The hotel has a list of activities they'll help you get signed up for (some expensive, some not). Went fishing a couple miles off the coast...it was a good time even though the boat wasn't really meant for it. Not really much in the way of ruins in that area. If you're into that, I've got friends that went to Cancun and Cozumel Island. They weren't the party type so other than the ruins they didn't like Cancun.

If you haven't looked at the Bahamas, Nassau was a good time. The historical tours were awesome. The zoo was pretty cool, small but not really like what we have here so different was good. Blue Lagoon Island could have been one of the greatest places in the world if it weren't for all the other people that went on the trip for the dolphin encounter. Couldn't tell you about an all inclusive there because we didn't stay in one. There are too many good, local places to eat and it was really easy to find something to do, catch a taxi that you didn't need anything set up by the hotel. Made it kind of cool because you weren't really on a set schedule for anything unless you planned it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Grand Solaris... in Cancun and all-inclusive, private beach, swim up bar.... awesome! That was my first all-inclusive, so being from the backwoods, I put it to the test. About 2 hours after I got off the plane, I had probably eaten 10,000 calories and was pretty damn close to alcohol poisoning. Needless to say, I was convinced.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    We did a Sandles all inclusive in Playa del Carmen, which is about 30 minutes south of Cancun. We loved it. Quiet and safe on the property, but you could go into town or up to Cancun to have some fun. Would highly recommend it. Probably going back in 2.5 years to celebrate our 10 year anniversary.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    We honey mooned in punta cana at IFA Villas Resort. We stayed in a villa and it was really affordable. Back in 2007 we spent $1800 for both of us round trip all Inclusive for 10 days. We checked a few years ago about going back and it was almost double the cost!!

It was fun but In don't think I would do it again...the food at these places is "ok" and there is only so much alcohol you can drink without feeling like garbage....

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    We just got back from our honey moon this last week, we don't do beaches though, too boring, we spent a week out in Colorado in the Rockies and at Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak. It was amazing, also picked up multiple boxes of .22lr ammo hehe.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    My wife and I have been to the Dominican Republic a 3-4 times now at different resorts (all-inclusives). Like the previous post (mentioning Punta Cana), food was hit or miss. The last one we went to was awesome. Surprisingly really good food and service. Believe the name was the Paradisis Palma Real. We paid a little bit more then I wanted but since it was our last vacation before our child arrived, it was worth it.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Trying to line up a trip in early June to an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica. Can't roll like the doc or I'd go there, but I'm looking around. Kinda partial to the resort we went to for a dinner one evening on our honeymoon nearly 15 years ago, but it's not a couples resort and they only have wifi in the lobby.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Just got back and had a wonderful time. This place was a little further down the coast But a 4 -5 star resort. Great pools, Great beach, Great Food/Liquor and an Excellent accommodation. The Palace is the 5 Star and we were at the Colonial Tropical (4 star), all on the same property. You have access to all, the Palace gives you Premium Liquor and an Ocean View. The courtyard View is excellent and not really that different. We spent, 2200 (2) for 9 days - taxes, air, transportation - everything included.

Barceló Maya Tropical Hotel All Inclusive resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico | Barcelo.com

http://www.mexicobeachexperts.com/maps/barcelo-maya-beach-map.pdf

Made our reservations thru these folks and they are Good to go Vacations, Resorts, and All-Inclusive Packages | CheapCaribbean.com)

They have reps at the airport to make sure that you get your transportation and reps at the resort to help with any problems and to schedule your return to the airport. I can't say enough nice things about these folks. Last trip we stayed at the Sandos closer to Playa del Carmen, great place but the Barceló is a step up.

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa - Hotel in Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Friends have gone to the Dominican, not near as nice as the Mexican Riviera.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Good on you for starting your researching NOW! As you've found out - there are NUMEROUS places to go.

Another plus for you: November is off season. That means cheaper staying.

My wife and I honeymooned in the Dominican Republic here: Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa (Dominican Republic) - Resort (All-Inclusive) Reviews - TripAdvisor

Punta Cana Princess ? Punta Cana ? PuntaCanaPrincess.com®

We had the honeymoon suite. It was "ok". it was both of our first times at any kind of resort like this. And it was July. July in the Caribbean. It was HOT. And Humid. Very hot and humid. Again - another reason to be thankful you're going in November!

Anyhow: Our resort was OK. Food was OK. Included attractions were "OK". We did go snorkeling one day - that was pretty cool. Mostly slept and ate. Neither of us are/were big drinkers, so even having the upgraded "platinum package" with included top shelf alcohol - wasn't a huge deal for us.

Why I chose the DR for our honeymoon: Budget. We were able to get more days/nights in the DR than at just about anywhere else in the Caribbean or Mexico. I scoured tons of sites for Cancun and south to the Rivera Maya. I searched tons for Jamaica and Bahamas. I knew right away that the USVI, BVI, St. Lucia, Antigua, etc were going to be WAY out of our price range. Other than Mexico, the DR is one of only a few "independent countries" in the Caribbean. Their economic system is based on themselves. So many other resort places are still British / Dutch colonies and, as such, have their economies based upon the "home country".

tl;dr = The Dominican Republic tends to be a cheaper all-inclusive vacation than just about anywhere else in the Caribbean.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Never done all inclusive before and have a question about the places that do massages/spa treatments and such...do they typically charge extra for those services or is use of that stuff built in? I could care less about golf that's unlimited, but would want to do some water activities, go to the spa, and whatever else would be cool. Would like to find a place with a zip line type of thing as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Never done all inclusive before and have a question about the places that do massages/spa treatments and such...do they typically charge extra for those services or is use of that stuff built in? I could care less about golf that's unlimited, but would want to do some water activities, go to the spa, and whatever else would be cool. Would like to find a place with a zip line type of thing as well.

The answer to whether or not they're included or ala carte is: Yes.

It all depends on the resort and the package you pay for.

Also: TripAdvisor.com is your friend. I wish I had known about it before our honeymoon, honestly. I'd probably not have booked at our resort (I really wonder what the kickback was from our travel agent. Yes, they still existed way back in 2008) Based on current reviews, "our" place has gone down hill.

OP: Do some Google Earthing / mapping to get town/city/place names. Then hit Tripadvisor and search, for example, "Punta Cana". Then take advantage of their rating system to look up ALL the hotels in contained within that area. (IE, the resort mentioned in my first post is #32. Once you look up all the resorts, you can A) start reading reviews, and B) start hitting other websites for in general price quotes. Use 3-4 travel sites and do price comparisons. Yes, it's a lot of work.

Also: Buy trip insurance. If you're spending $2000+ on a trip, which is VERY easy to do, then another few hundred on trip insurance from a reputable source is cheap peace of mind.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

Yes, those service are extra. I don't golf either and spent my time beach and pool. The Barceló gives you certificates based on your stay for dollars off various services. I'm Not a massage guy so can't comment on cost. I will say that those extras are cheaper off the resort but I can't answer since I did not partake. I think that there were 50 and 80 minute massages of various types and less than in America but cheaper in town

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    subscribed to this because I like the idea of just paying one thing and it all being taken care of for me. Also wife and I never really had the money for a honeymoon so all of these look like places I want to go. I looked at the jamaica link that hoosier doc provided and I wanted to do all the activities but I am with forgop in what is more cost to the all inclusive? << I see this was answered above lol

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Extra Activities:

Some kinds of things are included. Some are not.

You MAY be able to find better/cheaper services outside the resort than through the resort.

If you want to vacation in a snorkeling hotbed, chances are you can find an outfit nearby that'll get you a better trip at a better value than through the resort manager's brother's former boss who "won" the contract to solicit resort patrons in the lobby.

Something else to consider: Probably at all these resorts, the official policy will be "please, no tipping". Probably only the highest price tier is this really and truly the case. Bring a stack of dollar bills. I think I tipped a buck every two drinks (they were small cups). I do not remember if I tipped room service or not. VERY poor countries like the DR, even a few US dollars will surely go a long way. All tipping will be your own call, though.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Spa services are extra and you need to tip them too. I have only ever had a massage and it was in Jamaica. Heavenly. Couples massage in a tree canopy hut thing.

Top Bottom