• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • desnifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    USA
    I'm dealing with a similar issue. Still waiting to diagnose the issue with my shoulder but had to cancel 2 local matches because I can't hold the rifle at high ready.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I am right-handed, but in 2020 I tore my right biceps and needed 2 surgeries. For several months I could only use my left hand for everything. That's the hard way to become abmbidextrous. When I went back to shooting, I used my left hand for a while. I have been shooting gunfigher style (SA revolver in each hand) in cowboy action for over 20 years. I have several COFs in my pistol league where we shoot weak-hand only, also. I more that occasionally train left-handed, I shoot that way quite often.

Right now I am back to shooting right handed when shooting with two hands. For Bullseye shooting (one-handed) I still do better left-handed. I have shot sectional bullseye matches last year and this year with my left hand and I placed about where I normally would shooting with my right.

You did not mention what you shoot, but the high-brass comment above makes me think shotgun. I almost never shoot a long-gun left-handed, but a close friend of mine would always shoot long-guns left-handed because he was left eye dominant. It did not seen like a major transition fo him. You may want to try that. And maybe not dso much of the high-brass stuff.

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    Guess I'm not the only old fork around here LOL

What I don't understand is a doctor tells you it's probably torn but insurance makes you do therapy first? He said Medicare may not even pay for an MRI before therapy :wallbash:

Last edited:

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis

What I don't understand is a doctor tells you it's probably torn but insurance makes you do therapy first? He said Medicare may not even pay for an MRI before therapy :wallbash:
    unfortunately phys therapy does more damage. you only know what damage is done after the mri.

aca....yay!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Same thing happened to my wife. The really bad part was that the covid shutdowns started happening right before she finished the therapy so she couldn't get in to get the MRI.
    unfortunately phys therapy does more damage. you only know what damage is done after the mri.

aca....yay!
    According to my wife's Dr and the therapist it shouldn't do any more damage, but...

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Same thing happened to my wife. The really bad part was that the covid shutdowns started happening right before she finished the therapy so she couldn't get in to get the MRI.

According to my wife's Dr and the therapist it shouldn't do any more damage, but...
    if the therapist is assesing the damage then you might not make it worse.

my injuries came from years of tournament fighting. my dr would not sign off on any treatment until after an mri. how else would they know what to target.

once the surgeries were done i didn't need outside therapy.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    if the therapist is assesing the damage then you might not make it worse.

my injuries came from years of tournament fighting. my dr would not sign off on any treatment until after an mri. how else would they know what to target.

once the surgeries were done i didn't need outside therapy.
    Dr and therapist both assessed, both figured it was torn but without the MRI they couldn't do surgery because as you said they wouldn't know what to target. And they couldn't do the MRI until after the therapy. Wife had to go back in for some PT after the surgery but a large part of that was the wait. The surgeon wasn't sure if he could get enough stretch to put everything back together due to the delay.

Her's came from walking up steps. She was leaning on the wall and heard a pop. :n00b:

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Dr and therapist both assessed, both figured it was torn but without the MRI they couldn't do surgery because as you said they wouldn't know what to target. And they couldn't do the MRI until after the therapy. Wife had to go back in for some PT after the surgery but a large part of that was the wait. The surgeon wasn't sure if he could get enough stretch to put everything back together due to the delay.

Her's came from walking up steps. She was leaning on the wall and heard a pop. :n00b:
    oooh...

now i understand what you were saying. it would save a lot the guess work to do the mri first. most of my damage was from resetting the dislocations myself before going to the er. but they always did the mri first.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...she is BUFF :cheers:

Dr Ennis is certainly not hard on the eyes, but her and a good handful of other YouTube Dr's, therapists and trainers have really enlightened me on what it takes to not sit around and wait for something to hurt me.

I do at least a portion of Dr Ennis' routines every day. Fends off shoulders, hips, neck and back issues along with lots of others.

As you gain in years, it comes down to move it or lose it.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I deal with this MRI stuff all the time. Each year it seems to get more and more ridiculous. One option that I suggest to my patients is a place called Affordable MRI. They charge a flat rate, most of the time it’s $199. Everyone has high deductible insurance these days for the most part, but if your willing to pay cash, you can expedite the process at a place like this. They have a location in Indy and may still have one in Muncie.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    :ugh:

Need to learn to shoot left-handed with right-handed guns. I'm sure 1250 high brass would beat my shoulder to ground beef
    I went through the same thing back in 2018. I bought a left hand holster for my CZ P10C and practiced until I was confident enough to carry. It will feel odd for a while but you're going to get comfortable shooting weak side.

Top Bottom