• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO 700 is asking top dollar.
    I know some shops put a high price on their used stuff, and get it (or have room to deal) but those are shops.
    Individual pricing is much lower.
    Sure some folks do OK selling, but most do not.
    Market always been that way.

Unless it is decked with everything you want and of the exact model, don't pay what they want.

I'm sure there are some Z7's on racks, last yrs models or demos, that have warranty, for decent.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm just going to hold off, put together a bow next season and use a borrowed xbow this year to replace my stolen Hoyt.

No point in making matters worse trying to hurry into something I'll regret later.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm just going to hold off, put together a bow next season and use a borrowed xbow this year to replace my stolen Hoyt.

No point in making matters worse trying to hurry into something I'll regret later.

Yup.

Replace what you had, when you can.

In the meantime, borrow a rig... or maybe buy a cheaper older model that you'll convert to bowfishing next yr.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I used to work at a pretty big place, and lots of guys there deer hunted.
    Was not uncommon for guys to have all their gear stolen.............while at work, on a Friday (packed and ready for a hunting trip/weekend).
    Thieves look for stickers and plates that clue folks to contents.
    Just thinking back to that, plus this thread..............makes my blood boil.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On a positive note.................I'm about to blow a gasket waiting for my freakin' Spitfire Magnum to arrive!
    Let a BW HF1225 slide by on an auction site................good thing, as I got home to another kid's medical bill (ouch).

Smacked my hand at work, big knot and purple spot right away............on the finger with the torn A2 pulley tendon. I was not a happy camper.
    But it seems to be only slightly sore today.

Did NOT go out and try to shoot the BW. Might tomorrow, no more than 6 shots. Hopefully get back into shooting next week. Try to be dialed in by the 20th.
    Gets good after that ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Screw the bad hand (got worse last night).
    I'm going to try and shoot the BW in a few......

Update:

3 shots, baseball sized group at 20 yards. First two were 3 oclock, last 6 oclock. All on edge of the bull.
    Not bad for having laid off a month.

Stopped to see what the hand did, 5 mins and pressure building. Not painful but annoying.

Sucks, but I know I can smoke and deer at 20 even crippled up.

Last edited:

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I bought this 20+ years ago for $30. Shot it a handful of times, then lost interest as I didn't have transportation to an archery range. Now, after talking with my brother and a good friend, I'm getting the bug to try bowhunting. Should I spend the money to fix this up, or would it be better to buy a used one to shoot? What is a good price for a used bow?

Hard to read, but draw weight is 40-50 lbs

Last edited:

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I bought this 20+ years ago for $30. Shot it a handful of times, then lost interest as I didn't have transportation to an archery range. Now, after talking with my brother and a good friend, I'm getting the bug to try bowhunting. Should I spend the money to fix this up, or would it be better to buy a used one to shoot? What is a good price for a used bow?
    Have you shot much before? If not, I would say take it in to a local archery shop and ask them to measure your draw length and see if it matches what's on the bow. If not, you'll be fighting the bow too much and never build good form. Only if it does would I even consider keeping it. Make sure the limbs are in good shape (no cracks or dings, etc.). You'd probably want to get new strings fitted as well (old strings/cables WILL snap on you, not a pleasant experience) if you decide to shoot it more.

Having said all that, if you're new to the archery world I would suggest looking at some newer options. Lots of bows nowadays are much more forgiving and easier to shoot. This is a good shop in Leo just north of you - Sportsman's Cove | Archery and Gun Shop | Leo, IN - and I would hope they'd treat you well. They usually have a few used bows, and the Mission line from Mathews is very affordable for a new bow these days. Used bow prices will vary dramatically depending on the bow and how old, and I'd say you'll be in the $300-400 range at least for a new, quality fully outfitted bow and arrows. You could also try Gander Mountain, but I'm not sure what kind of service you'd get.

Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions. Always glad to help somebody out if I can.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If it's in good working order and fits, why not use it? (pic shows that string needs replaced immediately).
    I'd flip that quiver and or bracket around so the arrows don't make you look like a unicorn in the woods.........some might take a shot at such an odd beast in an attempt at having something worthy of mounting next to their Sasquatch (never understood such quiver orientation).

Old bows may have proprietary cabling terminations, so if there's any issue (steel ones last a good while usually- the problems normally found at or in the termination)....putting a new string on can be cheap, but if it needs cables consider it a goner (if not of sentimental value).

Have seen some folks with older cheaper bows put more money into them than they are worth. Don't be that guy!

Typically, older rigs like that are bought for bowfishing, guys beat the heck out of them a season and just get another.

That all said...............I bet that old Proline shoots faster than the bow I'm running this yr ;)

Last edited:

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Ater I posted, I drove around a bit, Gander Mountain, whose selection is not nearly as good as it used to be, then to Hook and Arrow on the south side of Fort Wayne, who told me it would be about $100 to fit that bow with a new string, arrow rest, and sight. He also estimated my draw length to be about 29". He didn't have much inventory due to people getting ready for bow season. Then I went to Sportsmans Cove. The salesperson there told me the same thing pretty much, asked bout my budget, and whether I wanted to buy new or used. He pulled a used bow out and had me draw it back to confirm that 29" is my draw length. I looked at that one ($200) and some new ones. I went to the pawn shop and found two that I was interested in, however, how do you know if those had been dry fired or not?? One was a Fred Bear, ($150) and the other was a Martin. The Martin had wo price tags on it, one was $300-something, and the other was $219. I noticed that one of the cables was off the cam, so I decided to let that one pass. Was it the reason for the lower price? Or was it done to hold the quick release to the bow? (It was pinched under the cable)

One thing I was told was that if I break a cable or a cam on my Proline, I'm SOL since it is so old.

The quiver does flip around, I just stuck it on there so it wouldn't get lost.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Speaking of killing old bows.............got my Groves Spitfire Magnum today and cleaned the crud off it..............sure as sh*t where the cutout is going down through the grip there's a crack. I've seen several of that type have similar damage.

Dunno if I have an expensive wall hanger or not. Will try to whick superglue down into the crack and see if it'll pull in enough to save it.

Yeah, I'm a pretty p*ssed off dude right now, and I gotta have a kid on the bus by 5:30 am too.

Proly won't be the shiny ray of sunshine at work tomorrow.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Probably 50 shots and the Groves repair has held.
    Shot my Blackwidow too, was nice n quiet but then got noisy. Quiver foam finally degraded.
    Need a source for bulk to just make my own. Tried looping garage door rubber adhesive foam on itself, works but just in't rigid enough.
    Bow is quiet again, but I'd like something better next go around.
    The stock foam for the Bear/ Delta quiver is not as good as it should be IMHO.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    UvpCXyo.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    http://i.imgur.com/FG2LhfU.jpg

Crack repair from cutout to outer right edge of velcro on shelf

http://i.imgur.com/T2AK1aW.jpg

Shot the 47# Groves Spitfire Magnum, my 60# Blackwidow HS 58, a 55# Blackwido SA2, a 57# custom longbow (name escapes me at the moment)..................hate to say it but.................man I love that big heavy tank of a beater HS 58.

If I had one with FF rated limbs at 50-52 # I wouldn't need anything else.

Last edited:

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    This just showed up on my doorstep yesterday. Athens Afflixtion, made in Indiana. I had to put about $60 in it on a sight, still need a case and some arrows.

Top Bottom