• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    The lighted nocks ary greatly in quality. My special pink Lumenok that I was so excited about........extremely hard to insert and when I did, used the arrow and it never activated. I won't be buying another. (when I tested it before I even shot it was hard to shut off also)
    My son has a Nocturnal arrow, easy to turn off but he has not tried it in the field yet.
    As to P&Y........aka Pope and Young, or even Boone and Crockett measuring systems.......not all of us are interested in being a member of those "clubs". Every deer is a trophy to me personally.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I would think at 65 lbs you would be good taking a deer out to 40 yards. I shoot 62 lbs on mine and at 27 yards my arrow blew through a doe and made a nice hole in her exiting shoulder blade and was sticking a few inches into the ground. When I practice out to 50 yards from a stand the arrow arcs a little but It still zooming.

With that said I prob won't ever attempt anything over 40 if that.

As far as lighted nocs...I second the nocturnals. I bought one and it was reliable in testing on/off. I just couldn't get it to group well so I scrapped it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    As to P&Y........aka Pope and Young, or even Boone and Crockett measuring systems.......not all of us are interested in being a member of those "clubs". Every deer is a trophy to me personally.

wouldn't know, never taken a buck before.

Thought I'd mention in case someone didn't know.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Ah ... an archery section. Guns are cool and all, but when it comes to hunting, bows are where it is at! :D

Deer set up, Elite GT500

IMG_0150.jpg

Turkey set up, Elite Z28

2011TurkeyBow03.jpg

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Nice Rigs DEC.

I'll hopefully have my new bow by the end of the year. I wanted it for this season, but there's always something that comes up.

I've never shot an Elite bow before. They look good, and I haven't heard anything bad about em.

dcary7

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have a pink camo Razor's Edge, shooting about 43# currently. Drawlength is 25". Pink Victory Arrows with Muzzy 4 blade Broadheads. I use a Cobra release. My plan for next season is new string with smaller peep, and a Mantis Arrow rest, I don't like the hostage that came with it.
    My oldest(15) has a regular camo Razor's Edge, shooting about 39# with Carbon Express Blue Streak arrows. Readhead release.
    And my youngest, who turned 12 Saturday decided no crossbows and insisted on a Razor's Edge also. He can only draw back 30# now, so not legal hunting yet. He wore his Warrior II bow out so I am confident he will be hunting by late season in Dec.
    I should buy stock in Bowtech lol.
    My wishlist is a Recurve, probably a Grizzly by Bear. I am more a quality shot versus speed person.

My daughter shoots a Diamond Edge with a Apache Drop away rest. We built a string out of BCY 452X and what a difference that made in the bow! That is a great bow she is shooting 54lb and running ICS bowhunters 500 spine 100 gr tip at 250fps. The 2 color string changes the look of the bow big time.
    Good luck and shoot straight

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have a tons of respect for you guys using long bows and recurves, anybody ever thought about flint knapping or home made arrows?

I know guys that do nap'd BHs.I make my own arrows...except for the shafts. The crest is a crest my dad has used for 30+ years so it's something I like to keep. :)

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    Personally I think the lighted nocks are awesome, but only if they are working which is not that often. Mine constantly are unreliable and probably not really worth it unless you don't care about the money, I also think they are way overpriced.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have seen a few guys psoting about getting into archery. I wonder if we have a experienced shooter or an actual archery shop member who could start a post detailing what goes on with a new bow setup. Aside from getting the rest center shot/timing spot on It might be helpful to see things like tiller etc described..

For those who want to set their own up and others who want to get an idea what they pay 60 bucks to a shop for to do the setup.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    I have seen a few guys psoting about getting into archery. I wonder if we have a experienced shooter or an actual archery shop member who could start a post detailing what goes on with a new bow setup. Aside from getting the rest center shot/timing spot on It might be helpful to see things like tiller etc described..

For those who want to set their own up and others who want to get an idea what they pay 60 bucks to a shop for to do the setup.
    something like that would be good if we had AN ARCHERY FORUM!!!!:D BTW welcome to my "we need an archery forum" campaign. Please post archery related questions and comments to this sticky so the mods can see the need for the forum, I know it is almost impossible to follow anything in this sticky, so hopefully we will have a more suitable place to post here soon.:rockwoot:

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    I think that's also an excellent idea. Discussing some of the actual components and things to look for in your equipment to keep people informed, supporting their local proshops for the CORRECT reasons, and enjoying this sport would be very beneficial.

I can talk about this regarding the Oneida style of bow and the bows we are building, but a "wheel bow" is foreign to me and I would love to educate myself more about them.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    I have designed and built a compound bow (or 4). Still need to get the videos up (which would go great in their own FORUM!). Got a few minor details we're working out, shoots great! Posted a picture several pages back. Never really dabbled in the trad bows yet, but always thought it would be fun.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    just keep this thread alive and active. I took awhile to get a Knives forum, but we did after a while. Can't let it die down after deer season either.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom