• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Picked up a pound tonight. Was told that it will interchange with Hodgdon Clays. Anyone try Clay Dot for 45 acp. Was looking in my Lyman manual, said to start Clays at 3.6 grains for 225 lrn up to 4.3 grains. Want to give it a go, been seeing alot of it lately. Comments, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. As always...:ingo: THANKS INGO.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Went through the same search for information when I was loading for Clay's. Very confusing and dangerous due to the names being so close to same. From what I can pick up a name with 'Clay' in it is a huge marketing plus from when Clay's first came out.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Hogdon make Universal Clays and International Clays and Clays. (for now soon to be replaced with reformulated powders whatever that means).
    Clay Dot has been used by many pistol shooters as a weight for weight replacement for Clays.
    Shoots as clean and soft as Clays.
    Several threads on here if you do a search.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Picked up a pound tonight. Was told that it will interchange with Hodgdon Clays. Anyone try Clay Dot for 45 acp. Was looking in my Lyman manual, said to start Clays at 3.6 grains for 225 lrn up to 4.3 grains. Want to give it a go, been seeing alot of it lately. Comments, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. As always...:ingo: THANKS INGO.

Get hold of Andrew, at Profire, he will KNOW !!!!!

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Hogdon make Universal Clays and International Clays and Clays. (for now soon to be replaced with reformulated powders whatever that means).
    Clay Dot has been used by many pistol shooters as a weight for weight replacement for Clays.
    Shoots as clean and soft as Clays.
    Several threads on here if you do a search.

This is what I was told...just looking for more opinions. Will do a search. Thank you

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    O
    They are different there is International Clays, Clay Dot and Clay's. They are not same at all not even like Tightgroup and Tightwad but more like H-38 and H-380. H-380 is a large rifle powder, yes they other powders are for shotguns but not pistol cartridges.

Hogdon makes the Clay's your looking for. http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/110/110272.jpg

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

I knew they were different. And yes some powders can be a little tricky with names. Don't figure the manufacturer is trying to be deceitful. I do appreciate the info and concern. Thanks again...

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The Alliant Clay Dot was one that I was not familiar with so did some internet searching and did not find any info for pistols. Thus, I learned something.

Just don't like the really close names when the bad guys will sell and say anything to get rid of some product. Just like the time at a gun show this gum-head tried to sell me a pound H-380 for my pistol, oh yeah it the same thing as 231.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Just don't like the really close names when the bad guys will sell and say anything to get rid of some product. Just like the time at a gun show this gum-head tried to sell me a pound H-380 for my pistol, oh yeah it the same thing as 231.

The guy that sold this to me was not the kind of guy that would try to pull one over on another person. Jeff McDonald is a very upstanding person, as is his dad. I can not for the life of me remember his dads name right now, I trust him. He informed me that I can use Clay Dot in 45acp. I have been looking on the net and I have found several places that mention that Clay Dot is indeed comparable to Clays. When I say Clays, I mean Clays. Not sure which one, my 4th Lyman cast manual simply says Clays. My guess is its not Universal or International. I will see if I can find some more information and provide a couple links to what I was able to find.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The guy that sold this to me was not the kind of guy that would try to pull one over on another person. Jeff McDonald is a very upstanding person, as is his dad. I can not for the life of me remember his dads name right now, I trust him. He informed me that I can use Clay Dot in 45acp. I have been looking on the net and I have found several places that mention that Clay Dot is indeed comparable to Clays. When I say Clays, I mean Clays. Not sure which one, my 4th Lyman cast manual simply says Clays. My guess is its not Universal or International. I will see if I can find some more information and provide a couple links to what I was able to find.

Didn't know how you bought the powder, Armlist or gun show. There are people I trust and use INGO for information. The load I used for Clays 4.2gr with 185gr jhp. 3.9gr would not cycle the XD so 4.1 and 4.2 was a little more accurate. Since switched to 200gr cast and not tried Clays with that.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Loaded up 5 rounds with Clay Dot and 5 rounds with 700X today. The Clay Dot was 3.8 grains topped with a 230 grain lrn. The 700X was 4 grains, topped with a 230 grain lrn. I was at the starting load with 700 and .2 of a grain over starting load with Clay Dot. 700 was a little snappy for a starting load and was suprised by the recoil. The Clay Dot was smooth, soft, and just felt good. I am going to load up some more with Clay Dot, but going to bump the charge up another .2 grains. Will more than likely just use the 700 in some 38 special loads to use it up. Just figured I would let you all know what I came up with. Thanks again INGO

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I'd try +.1gr then go to +.2gr that stuff as very small window for a reason and watch for pressure signs. Great powder but very small min/max load window.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    It's 2AM and I don't have it in front of me. But, I've used Clays (not Universal or International) and Clay Dot in 45 small primed and large primed. The were always within .1 grain of each other to get same velocity, accuracy and function from semi autos (1911s, Glocks and XDs). It's definitely good to go for 45acp.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I have been loading Clay Dot in place of Clays for about 1000 rounds now. It measures the same and even Chrono's within 50 fps the same. I am running 4.1 grains in a 230 gr plated RN extreme bullet at 170 power factor. Works great and no issues in 45 acp.

9mm I tried one time but had a little concern with compressing the load so I stopped trying. One day I may actually look into that again.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I have been loading Clay Dot in place of Clays for about 1000 rounds now. It measures the same and even Chrono's within 50 fps the same. I am running 4.1 grains in a 230 gr plated RN extreme bullet at 170 power factor. Works great and no issues in 45 acp.

9mm I tried one time but had a little concern with compressing the load so I stopped trying. One day I may actually look into that again.

Trading 2 pounds of HP38 and a pound of Auto Comp for 3 pounds of Clay Dot. I loaded up some and tried it, love it. Just don't have the extra spending money to pick up 3 more pounds. But yea, seems to be real good stuff.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's 2AM and I don't have it in front of me. But, I've used Clays (not Universal or International) and Clay Dot in 45 small primed and large primed. The were always within .1 grain of each other to get same velocity, accuracy and function from semi autos (1911s, Glocks and XDs). It's definitely good to go for 45acp.

I have been loading Clay Dot in place of Clays for about 1000 rounds now.

Out of curiosity, does it burn as clean as Clays ?

What is current pricing and availability like on Clay Dot?

Curious also about the pricing. Are the 1 lb cans a full pound or are they like Clays and only 14 oz ?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom