• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I just got a large quantity of Alliant Power Pistol and AR-Comp. These powders seem to be rated quite good, which is why I didn't hesitate to invest in it. But the Alliant website only lists recipes with CCI primers, and rather than bullet weight, lists only specific bullets. I assume this is for liability/performance reasons, but I can't find more general information. Up until this point I've just used the general information from my die set, but am I at the point where I need to buy a serious reloading book? Aren't any of those books available online for free? I am not a competition shooter so I am not trying to get premium performance, just less expensive target ammo.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    In my experience, using the same size and power of primer(example small pistol cci for small pistol winchester or small pistol magnum cci for small pistol magnum tula) has always worked well in handgun applications.

Substituting one brand for another in some rifle applications has caused accuracy issues.

The only time I follow the factory recommended primer/powder combination to the letter is with very slow burning powders in large magnum rifle cases, due to the difficulty in setting off these powders some manufacturs will recommend only one brand that they know works well.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I found this link that looks good. But it doesn't have lead. A lot of people have said to email Alliant for load data, but I really don't want to trust some numbers off of someone's head. So is this info in every reloading book? I keep hearing everyone referring to their Lyman's manual, and is this because they explain ways to work up a load from testing, or because the manuals have meticulous load data for practically every powder/primer/bullet combo? I assumed the latter, and suppose I should just go find a Lyman book--or buy the eBook.

www.handloads.org/loaddata/default....=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=Alliant

rollingblock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Morristown, IN
    Before buying a particular book, try looking at loaddata.com. It costs $20 a year, and has data from different powder and bullet manufacturers. Its not a complete resource for absolutely every caliber, but is a very comprehensive source of information

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you shelled out the cash for a "large quantity" of powders, why would you balk at paying the $20-$30 it might cost for a good reloading manual? That's a classic example of penny wise and pound foolish, if ya ask me.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If you shelled out the cash for a "large quantity" of powders, why would you balk at paying the $20-$30 it might cost for a good reloading manual? That's a classic example of penny wise and pound foolish, if ya ask me.

I don't mind paying $20, but I can load without the book, not without the powder. ;)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Alliant and CCI are owned by the same corporation, that is why they only recommend CCI primers. Ignore the primer brand, just use the same type as suggested above. Don't start out 5% over book max load like the guy that was near me at the range today. Use published data and always error toward the weaker end of the spec until you are comfortable with loading the cartridge/bullet/powder combo. Keep researching, their are very few combinations that somebody has not developed a load that works safe and reliable.
    Good Luck

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I don't mind paying $20, but I can load without the book, not without the powder. ;)

Yeah, you can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a butcher's a**...but wouldn't you rather take his word for it? :D

Let's think about this, Ted: Why would powder and bullet companies go to all the trouble to print load data, hmm? (Are you listening?) Sure, you can just grab some load recipe off the internet, load up a few hundred round and go shoot. "Have a blast!" says the reloading fairy! Next thing you know your S&W 29 is in 30 pieces and your left eyeball is in a jar of formaldehyde. I've seen it a million times!

For the sake of your gun and your not-yet-disfigured face, wouldn't you rather just follow published load data from a reputable source? ;)

ETA -- Sorry, I just watched Tommy Boy for the 17th time...

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The books all are different on what a max load is but the pages off the cloud! No way to verify if they are even accurately weighing their stuff. Do Not use Lee die data, that crap is in code or use dippers! Surprised they haven't been sued for that info.

There are several manufactures of powder and bullets, usually with their bullets. If you want to use the Net then that's where I would go but prefer books. Where did you get the Power Pistol been looking, no find.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The books all are different on what a max load is but the pages off the cloud! No way to verify if they are even accurately weighing their stuff. Do Not use Lee die data, that crap is in code or use dippers! Surprised they haven't been sued for that info.

There are several manufactures of powder and bullets, usually with their bullets. If you want to use the Net then that's where I would go but prefer books. Where did you get the Power Pistol been looking, no find.

I got the powder at INDIANA GUN CLUB in Fishers. They seemed to have plenty in stock.

I'm more comfortable with a book than info off the internet for sure. This information is just something that is ideal for distribution in an App or e-book, and I'm surprised there isn't an easier way to get it--free or otherwise--than buying a physical book.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    For single caliber loaders..

I got the powder at INDIANA GUN CLUB in Fishers. They seemed to have plenty in stock.

I'm more comfortable with a book than info off the internet for sure. This information is just something that is ideal for distribution in an App or e-book, and I'm surprised there isn't an easier way to get it--free or otherwise--than buying a physical book.

Get yourself one of these:Loadbooks USA 9mm Luger Reloading Manual

And one of these:Loadbooks USA 223 Remington Reloading Manual

And you will be all set--For NOW...Bill.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Get yourself one of these:Loadbooks USA 9mm Luger Reloading Manual

And one of these:Loadbooks USA 223 Remington Reloading Manual

And you will be all set--For NOW...Bill.

Hey, aren't those the booklets that they sell at Gander Mountain? I've thought about getting just the specific caliber info, but I always thought the manuals had other necessary information that would be nice too.

I definitely want load data in all sizes for 9mm, and including lead. I bought some 9mm stuff from a fellow INGO'er that included thousands of LRN's in 147gr and 115gr. And obviously, I need info that includes Alliant Power Pistol, which the above seems to contain. I just wander if it contains the LRN load data.

360676.jpg

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Hey, aren't those the booklets that they sell at Gander Mountain? I've thought about getting just the specific caliber info, but I always thought the manuals had other necessary information that would be nice too.

I definitely want load data in all sizes for 9mm, and including lead. I bought some 9mm stuff from a fellow INGO'er that included thousands of LRN's in 147gr and 115gr. And obviously, I need info that includes Alliant Power Pistol, which the above seems to contain. I just wander if it contains the LRN load data.

360676.jpg

Yes, it does..I'll bring one for you to look at..Bill.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Just an FYI , if you use Hodgdon, IMR or Winchester powders they are all under the Hodgdon ownership now and Hodgdon has a large data base of free reloading info on their website.

I would still buy a Lyman manual to double check load data though.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I actually think you're past the point where you should get a manual.....or two.
    I like Lyman, (especially if you're shooting lead), and Speer.
    Sierra and Hornady are also good.
    Lee has a good "How To" section, but their data is pretty lame.

Loaddata.com is a great resource, but it's not a substitute for a good manual.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom