• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have been reading on some other forums folks highly touting this powder for 9mm, 357, and 40 S&W loading. Curious what any folks on here think of it or have used it. Thanks for any feedback.

PS. Am loading all three calibers.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I have been reading on some other forums folks highly touting this powder for 9mm, 357, and 40 S&W loading. Curious what any folks on here think of it or have used it. Thanks for any feedback.

PS. Am loading all three calibers.

Great for 9MM + .40 S&W..Good also if that is .357 Sig that you mean..There are better powders for .357 Magnum..Bill.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have used and like power pistol. So far it seems like it shoots good in everything and that might be why it's hard to find. Here is what I've done with it.
    357 mag better velocity and control than Longshot. 125gr JHP everyone so far seems to like shooting that load. It's does pretty good in 45acp also. Surprising how soft it shoots with good velocities.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Power Pistol is THE powder for 40S&W, is excellent for 9mm, a little fast for 357 Magnum loads.

I also use it in 380ACP and 44/40 loads, so I buy it 4lbs at a time, when I can. As far as pistol powders go, I use way more Power Pistol than any other, due to its versatility.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It has been a long time since I used it. I remember it performing fine. I also remember because it is flake shaped, smaller volume loads had quite a bit of variance in charge weights from a powder thrower.

Correction in my next post.

Last edited:

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Speer #13 manual shows 8.1 gr Power Pistol with 230 gr FMJ @ 916 fps in 45ACP . Stout load. Shoots well. I like to load it to 850 fps. Still stout but easier on my pistol.

It is a fine ball powder and meters well.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I need to apologize, I was thinking "American Select" when I mentioned metering on the Power Pistol.

Here are pictures:

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b543/bdsTHR/W231BEPP_zps200e2dd9.jpg

Power Pistol did perform well, that statement was correct.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I need to apologize, I was thinking "American Select" when I mentioned metering on the Power Pistol.

Here are pictures:

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b543/bdsTHR/W231BEPP_zps200e2dd9.jpg

Power Pistol did perform well, that statement was correct.

Thanks for the clarification. I tend to double check weights more than most which is why I use the RCBS ChargeMaster more than my powder measure. Slower for sure and maybe I should learn to trust the measure more. Guess I am more of a "trust but verify" kind of guy.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Thanks for the clarification. I tend to double check weights more than most which is why I use the RCBS ChargeMaster more than my powder measure. Slower for sure and maybe I should learn to trust the measure more. Guess I am more of a "trust but verify" kind of guy.

Double check my RCBS scale with a MTM digital scale. The MTM maybe off a 1/10 grain sometimes but if close to what set the beam scale to them I'm good to go.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have used Power Pistol in my 9mm loads pushing 124gr Hornady XTP bullets. I loaded 5.1gr and saw ~1050fps.

My poweder measure isn't a fan of the fine granules/flakes so I always set it a few tenth under, verify on a digital scale, and then trickle to weight on my beam scale.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have used Power Pistol in my 9mm loads pushing 124gr Hornady XTP bullets. I loaded 5.1gr and saw ~1050fps.

My poweder measure isn't a fan of the fine granules/flakes so I always set it a few tenth under, verify on a digital scale, and then trickle to weight on my beam scale.

Please don't misunderstand my intent here because I am genuinely interested in saving you time and putting your mind at ease.

When it comes to how much powder should be in a given cartridge, it is the volume that matters...we use a scale to verify it. If you set a volumetric measure to drop 5.2 grains of Power Pistol, and by your scale it drops between 5.1 and 5.3 every time, you can rest assured that the volume is close enough to perfect that the resulting rounds will be safe and effective. Some charges may be slightly more dense, while others have a little more air, within a given volume, but as far as internal ballistics are concerned, they will be very similar in their burn characteristics.

I load 124 grain bullets over 5.4 grains of Power Pistol with a Lee Classic Turret press and a Powder Measure Pro. I check the first drop, and every 20 drops or so, but have never once had to trickle up a charge. For anything other than absolute MAX loads, you simply don't need that kind of precision. Weigh every tenth charge, to confirm, but never forget that it is absolutely the volume dropped that matters...and volumetric powder drop devices, by and large, are remarkalby​ consistent! ;)

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I know it is close enough and safe, I was choosing to take the time to be consistent. It is not necessary to trickle into a desired weight.

What kind of velocity are you getting with 5.4g and what is your barrel length?

Top Bottom