• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    So I am just getting into handloading pistol calibers, and I bought a pound of unique, since it seems to cover ALL the bases. (calibers)

My question is, if it's versatile enough to load nearly every caliber and weight of handgun bullets, it has to have a weak side. An Achilles heel, if you will.

What is the downside?

I bought it, to load up 1000, 225gr cast .45 bullets that were gifted to me. I am now planning to load some .40, and some .38spl and .357.

Is there a downside for some calibers, over others, when using unique? Is it great for .45, but I should run something else for .40? .38/.357? (Or vice, versa)

Input is appreciated. thanks!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    It's better in the 38/357 than 45acp, don't know about the 40s&w. Unique meters different than most powders or in other words not as well. Have heard that it meters well with the all plastic Lee powder measure.

For 15.00 or so I might get one myself. Was with a buddy of mine and we was loading so 4064, notorious stick powder and the Lee measure did very well.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I used to use Unique alot when I first started to reload. It worked well for .38 special in 160grn SWC and 148 WC. It also works well in .40 175 LSWC but it is kind of dirty. I prefer Clays for .38 its clean and low charge weight or when I can get it 231/H.P 38. .40 S&W I pretty much use AA #2 or #5 because it meters well out of my Lee auto-disk and load way more .40 than anything. For me the pros are simple: You can load alot of different calibers with it and its been easier to find. The cons are as I mentioned before kinda dirty and doesnt meter well out of auto-disk along with any other flake powder. I have and always will use it but for some applications other powders work better for me.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I use it in 9mm, and now am working up some 38 loads with it too. I have never had consistency issues with metering through my Dillon powder measure. I have a hornaday manual dump powder measure as well, and it seems to be slightly more variable in that (maybe a spread of +/-0.3 gr vs 0.1-0.2 on the Dillon). It is dirty, but universal.

-Brian

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    Unique is one of my favorite powders, however, it does have a few downsides. Most have already been mentioned-a little dirty (but better than it used to be), meters a little inconsistent. You will find that you won't be able to get top velocities in .357 mag, but it does pretty well with cast bullets in that caliber. It's not perfect but if I had to pick only one powder for handgun, Unique would be it.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I reload 9mm with Unique and have not had an issue besides dirtier than some. I have not used anything besides that, though I do have some Red Dot that I have not tried yet.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Thanks for the input folks! For now, all it's going towards will be plinking ammo, so I'm not too concerned with velocity. I think I'll run it out, and maybe try something else, maybe stick with it! Nobody has said, "Don't use that in_____!", so I'm gonna run it! Cheapest pound of powder I've bought since I started handloading! Can't really complain! My powder measure is an old herters, and seems to meter it quite well, (+/-.1). I did notice it's a bit dirty, but I've shot dirtier powders! Accuracy through my .45, loaded at minimum, (Plinkin ammo!), is not bad at all, and functions fine! If it aint broke, don't fix it!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I run 5.9 grains of Unique in my 45acp, shoots well. A bit dirty, shoots well and lube overcomes a little crud so I'm happy with it.

I loaded up several hundred in .41 mag plinking loads, shot well.

Works in 9mm, .38/.357 too, but I'm going to pick up an 8lp keg of Red Dot one of these days so I don't have to worry about powder for a while, so that's what I use in 9 and 38 special and developed a load in .41 mag for it too

Anyway, Unique is a good powder, been a while since I had to reload for it but I remember my Dillon being fairly consistent with it

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    About the worst thing you can say about the Unique powder made today (which isn't near as dirty as it used to be) is that it isn't necessarily ideal for every cartridge you might load with it. Some folks own but a single claw hammer, while others have a dozen different hammers for "unique" jobs. Maybe Alliant should have called this powder "Versatile", since the only thing Unique about it is how many different cartridge and shotshell loads you can make with it. :)

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've been using Unique in 38 and 45acp since 1973.
    I started using the new, cleaner formula Unique when it first came out (late 90s I think).
    I'm always trying to get away from Unique and into other powders that perform better in specific calibers but always end up back with Unique simply because it's available, cheaper than others and it works.
    Once W231 becomes available again I'll be going back to that but I'll always have several cans of Unique on the shelf as back up.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    Unique has been my go to powder of choice for over 20 years. I've used it on .38, 9mm, .45, .357 and .44 Spl. It works on just about any pistol round. It's only drawback is in high velocity .357 and .44's it won't get up to true magnum velocities.

My favorite 9mm match load is with Unique, also my most accurate 9mm load . In .38 Spl, I've never been able to better Bullseye for accuracy, but for heavier/stouter rounds, Unique takes the cake.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Thanks again guys! I don't have a very big reloading budget, so I like products that work on multiple rounds! I like varget, because I can load most weights of .223 AND .308! I think I'll like unique for the same reasons!

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have used Unique for over 40 years. I have heard the complaints on measuring inconsistencies, but I have never had the problem. I use it primarily for mid-velocity revolver rounds. .38, .357, 44 special. & .44 mag. I do use it for other calibers, and loads too though. A very versatile powder. It is close to my most used powder, if not my most used.

Best Wishes,
    Tom

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You will like Universal better.

I started reloading in my early 20's, now I am in my early 40's. I always used Universal for the stuff in the middle. Then the first Obama shortage hit and there wasn't any Universal to be found, so I got a pound of the "new clean burning" Unique.

Never again. There are probably a half dozen powders with similar burn rates that I would buy before Unique.

Last edited:

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I bought 8lb keg for 122.00 Its cheap enough and it fills case up to 70% or so. Like others have said its kinda dirty. One thing i look for is flameball out end of barrel. Too much or none lets me know more about reloading info as much as chronograph.

Top Bottom