• jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Pecan trees in Indiana

Edit:
    Thanks to INGO I've found out I have pecan trees...not almond.

It's that time of year again and this year I'd like to try and do something with my almonds. Hopefully someone on here has first hand experience and can offer some knowledge.

I have five almond trees. I'm not sure what kind they are. The previous owner planted them years ago and told me he got the seeds from an old pioneer trail up in Wisconsin or Minnesota. Two trees are producing fruit well and the other three have a few here and there.

I'd like to find out which variety they are and the best way to replant seeds.

Thanks for any help.
    Doug

Last edited:

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I have one in my pasture that looks just like it. The nuts should be soft since they are green, cut one in half to know for sure.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Yeah, that looks more like pecan than almond but I could be wrong. If they are almonds, you need to talk to a pro to make sure you do not have one of the poisonous varieties

Yeah I read that and I definitely before eating them...whatever they are. I know the squirrels love them.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Crows, and squirrels are really rough on pecans, I've never gotten a good nut off of my tree.

Early northern frosts are really rough on them too.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have one in my pasture that looks just like it. The nuts should be soft since they are green, cut one in half to know for sure.
    are there many pecans around your area?I am a hour north of you and thought they would not grow this far north.I have seen hickory /pecan crosses that can take the cold.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I am going to East Texas the first of Nov for hog hunting, pecans, and BBQ. Will be my first time during pecan season, hope to bring back more then I could ever use.

Top Bottom