• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler835

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Around 1am last night my dog started barking at my front door. This is normal because he lets me know when he needs to go out. I always take my gun outside my apartment with me because we do not live in the safest of areas. I stand on the balcony as he does his business. A man walks up the stairs behind my dog as he comes back up that I assume is a friend of my neighbors because they constantly have company even late at night. I get ready to turn my back and go inside as he says "hey, is mark home?" I reply that nobody named mark lives in either of these apartments. He replies with "Bull****, he lives in the apartment your dog just went into. He owes me money and I'd like to collect it" I repeated myself that nobody named mark lives at this address. (We have only been here about a month or two) he then gets belligerent and tells me I'm lying and that if I know what's good for me I better go inside and get him. I told him I'm going inside to call the police I go to pull my door shut and he pushes it open. I immediately draw on him and tell him if he steps inside this door it's all over for him. He replies with "I'll be back for my money" and he leaves in a hurry. I did call the police and the apartment managers come and come to find out the previous tenant is now in jail for possession. So I assume I was approached by a drug dealer who fronted some drugs and the guy got busted before he was paid back. Needless to say it was very scary. After it I felt sick to my stomach. I never want to use my gun for anything but shooting cans and targets But he was less than half a foot from making me use it in defense. Anybody else ever have a situation like this?

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Good to hear you're alright OP. You did the right thing. If I were you I would be extra vigilant while home, he could come back later (and hopefully not armed or with friends).

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sounds like Marky boy dug himself a hole he can't get out of! Wonder if you can change apartments. Will the apt manager let you do that? Glad you and your dog are ok!

Was involved in a home invasion in 2011, didn't have to draw on either of the three guys but wasn't far from my mind.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    That is not a good situation. He'll likely be back either when you are there, or not. I'm afraid that the least you can expect to have to deal with is a future burglary, and it only gets worse from there. I would try to plead extenuating circumstances with the landlord and get out of the lease.

I just saw the post above. Yes, I would think the landlord ought to let you change apartments to another building for sure.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Had a few close calls. We had an upstairs neighbor that thought it was a good idea to deal drugs from there. Since we lived in a house divided into apartments on each level, we got a little bit of business knocking on our front door. One just plead out to a couple charges a couple months ago, the other should be coming up on trial next month. We moved out of there almost a year ago now.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That is not a good situation. He'll likely be back either when you are there, or not. I'm afraid that the least you can expect to have to deal with is a future burglary, and it only gets worse from there. I would try to plead extenuating circumstances with the landlord and get out of the lease.

I just saw the post above. Yes, I would think the landlord ought to let you change apartments to another building for sure.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    and I thought the phone calls were annoying when we took over some dead beats phone number years ago.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Glad you AND your pup are fine, and you weren't forced into a shooting scenario. The BG is lucky he wasn't shot when he forced that door open.

As noted, it might be a good idea to talk to the landlord and switch apartments. Scumbags like that don't usually take 'no' for an answer, unfortunately.

But, wait! I thought drugs were a 'victimless' crime? :facepalm:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just another vote for you to try to change apartments.

Plus, now they know there is a gun owner there. Bust in while you're gone and see what other toys you have.

(Sorry to possibly add to your anxiety.)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I get ready to turn my back and go inside as he says "hey, is mark home?" I reply that nobody named mark lives in either of these apartments. He replies with "Bull****, he lives in the apartment your dog just went into. He owes me money and I'd like to collect it"

Did you ask if his name was "Sneeze"?

Kentuckyblue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I am also glad no one was hurt. But I am afraid I would have to move quickly, before he and some friends decide to come back and try to get even or steal what they can if you are not there. It is sad times we live in. I am afraid I would sleep with at least one eye open.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's one way you could have prevented him from coming back in the future to harass you.

But you have better trigger discipline than I would have had when he pushed the door.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Glad you AND your pup are fine, and you weren't forced into a shooting scenario. The BG is lucky he wasn't shot when he forced that door open.

As noted, it might be a good idea to talk to the landlord and switch apartments. Scumbags like that don't usually take 'no' for an answer, unfortunately.

But, wait! I thought drugs were a 'victimless' crime? :facepalm:

And the problem was the drugs?
    Let's see.
    He's a loan shark, he wants his money back.
    He loaned a friend a car, he wants his money back.
    He thinks his wife is hiding in your apartment, he wants to "see" her.

Seems like the problem was a dirtbag was trying to collect. The object doesn't matter.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Around 1am last night my dog started barking at my front door. This is normal because he lets me know when he needs to go out. I always take my gun outside my apartment with me because we do not live in the safest of areas. I stand on the balcony as he does his business. A man walks up the stairs behind my dog as he comes back up that I assume is a friend of my neighbors because they constantly have company even late at night. I get ready to turn my back and go inside as he says "hey, is mark home?" I reply that nobody named mark lives in either of these apartments. He replies with "Bull****, he lives in the apartment your dog just went into. He owes me money and I'd like to collect it" I repeated myself that nobody named mark lives at this address. (We have only been here about a month or two) he then gets belligerent and tells me I'm lying and that if I know what's good for me I better go inside and get him. I told him I'm going inside to call the police I go to pull my door shut and he pushes it open. I immediately draw on him and tell him if he steps inside this door it's all over for him. He replies with "I'll be back for my money" and he leaves in a hurry. I did call the police and the apartment managers come and come to find out the previous tenant is now in jail for possession. So I assume I was approached by a drug dealer who fronted some drugs and the guy got busted before he was paid back. Needless to say it was very scary. After it I felt sick to my stomach. I never want to use my gun for anything but shooting cans and targets But he was less than half a foot from making me use it in defense. Anybody else ever have a situation like this?
    I know the number of a good Realtor. :):

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    Wow, thats crazy OP. I'm glad everyone is fine. If I were in your shoes, I'd try my hardest to change units, if not move to a different complex.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    And the problem was the drugs?
    Let's see.
    He's a loan shark, he wants his money back.
    He loaned a friend a car, he wants his money back.
    He thinks his wife is hiding in your apartment, he wants to "see" her.

Seems like the problem was a dirtbag was trying to collect. The object doesn't matter.
    since the guy he was looking for (previous tenant) is in jail for possession I'd say your three options have only about a 1% chance of being the reason he was there. Jail for possession means an amount more than the slap on the wrist personal use

Top Bottom