• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you ever spent the night alone in the woods?

• Total voters

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Yes, back when i was 13 i spent 54 days alone in northern canada . You see my parents had just gotten a divorce and i went to go visit my father who works in the oil fields. The pilot of the cesna had a heart attack and died. I tried landing the plane but ended up crashing into a lake. The only thing i was able to save was a hatchet.

:D

I thought you dove down to the plane to salvage the first aid supplies as well? :D

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    yes. I have

And to expand on the topic, anyone else built a shelter out of naturally found items and actually spent time in it? If not, I recommend you try it out sometime. :patriot:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I like people too. Especially with farva beans and a nice chiante. Thup thup, thup thup, thup thup thup.
    Seriously, though, my boyhood friends and I raised each other in the summertime. The only reason we had to go home was for food and to keep pop from getting worried and coming down to the river looking for me. About three days between checkins seemed to be the limit.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I like people too. Especially with farva beans and a nice chiante. Thup thup, thup thup, thup thup thup.
    Seriously, though, my boyhood friends and I raised each other in the summertime. The only reason we had to go home was for food and to keep pop from getting worried and coming down to the river looking for me. About three days between checkins seemed to be the limit.

Exactly!!!!

We would spend days in the woods,along the river fishing. We would check in, shower and go right back, either at my parents or my buddies. We would do this all summer, and through fall during squirrel season. Once his Mom saw us coming across the field, and we came in to a PILE of pancakes and eggs!!!! God those were the days. We could hunt, camp wherever we wanted to go. We knew all the farmers, and they would just wave as they went by. Could not do that anymore for sure. Very at home in the woods.
    Funny part is we barely took a thing with us. We drank out of field tile where they drained into the river. (Never was sick, but would not do that now!!)
    More to the point, yes, many nights in the woods.

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    I have not had the chance to be alone in the woods. Always end up with other people tagging along.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have not had the chance to be alone in the woods. Always end up with other people tagging along.

I can not get out with the gear alone anymore. Partly due to my age (not so old but slowing down) and mainly due to my kids (adults) loving to camp. If they know I plan to go out, well, it turns into a group pretty fast.
    We always do a late fall and an early winter 3 day in the woods. It used to be called our "He-man" camp-outs. Once the woman figured out we were having so much fun they started tagging along for at least 2 days if not all 3. Solo is not nearly as fun to me personally.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    yes. I have

And to expand on the topic, anyone else built a shelter out of naturally found items and actually spent time in it? If not, I recommend you try it out sometime. :patriot:

I was inspired reading Tom Brown's books when I was a teen so did all of the wilderness survival skills. That plus I couldn't afford all the fancy gear, so I got real good at building shelter and staying warm.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    You won't find those pansies in the woods at night.

^^This. It always amazes me that those "urban"types will walk down a dark city street at night, no problem. But get them out in the woods, in daytime, and they are petrified. Safest place to get away from the urban mob is out in the woods - "There's bears and and snakes in there!"

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Well, I voted "No" in the poll, because mostly I've been with at least fellow crewmembers when we've slept in the woods - which we did fairly often during most of my military career. However, I did spend one weekend in a quiet little dell on Mt. Rainier all by myself when I lived in Washington State during the late 70s.

Personally, while I can survive by myself, I'm not much inclined to go out and prove it.

Top Bottom