• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I am looking at a truck ('81 f250) and the only red flag before I see it on Saturday is that 3 tires are at 75% tread, one at 40%. The crummy one is the drivers side front tire.

What is the issue?
    Is it something a very novice mechanic can fix by himself?
    Cost of parts?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it is the same set as the other 4 it is a front end issue. Could be any number of parts that will wear out over time and miles that cause alignment issues or it has been stuffed doing some real damage.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    If it is the same set as the other 4 it is a front end issue. Could be any number of parts that will wear out over time and miles that cause alignment issues or it has been stuffed doing some real damage.

They are matching tires.

One of my dads workers said its likely the center bushing or ball joint.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Perhaps they've been rotated front to rear which would in turn result in a rear to front move? Right rear will typically be the one to spin first when judicious amounts of gas pedal are applied.

Oops, sorry drivers side. Still could be a result of rotation..

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    It depends on the type of tire wear... Is it a toe issue a camber issue or a over-under inflation issue??? Most techs worth a dime can tell immediately just by looking at the tredwear pattern.. If you don't understand my description then google is your friend... Btw it's an 81... That's ancient in truck years, especially if its been used as a truck..

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Also what are the actual measurements in millimeters or 32's of an inch of treadwear??? Not a guesstimate.. Dude, it's an 81, why worry?? It's got much bigger issues I'm sure other than tire wear...

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Also what are the actual measurements in millimeters or 32's of an inch of treadwear??? Not a guesstimate.. Dude, it's an 81, why worry?? It's got much bigger issues I'm sure other than tire wear...

Just wanna know what it is. It was the only red flag I saw before I actually go and see the truck. When I get there, who knows what i find.

This truck is my hunt/fish/snow truck. It is also my "intro to auto mechanics" truck, want to use it to learn more. And I like the look of the old trucks, and its a cheap lesson if I eff it up or it craps out.

We have a safe family, everyday car.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I blew a tire on a bad chuck hole once and was a little down on money that week. Rather than driving my 70 mile round trip commute on a donut spare, I bought a used tire to get me by until later. Dodge mini vans were really easy on rear tires and we found a take off tire from someone else's Caravan. All was good. When I was ready to put a whole new set of tires on the van, the guys at the tire store wanted to change the struts, ball joints, shocks, etc because that one tire was so bald. They kept pointing out how uneven the wear was. When buying used, that kind of thing comes with the territory.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    tire-wear-problems-alignment-s.jpg

Not all inclusive, but it will give you an idea. It's hard for me to imagine only one front tire showing that much wear due to an overall suspension/steering issues though. One would think that if worn/broken parts were the cause, the opposite tire would show issues as well. Maybe not the same kind of wear, but premature wear nonetheless.
    Could be as simple as what Leo described where an older tire replaced a blown one to get by until funds/time allowed proper corrective action. Best to asks lots of questions of the seller, even have the vehicle inspected by a certified or trusted mech.
    Older trucks can be great as get arounds/utility/projects and some seem to run forever on merely a wing and a prayer. Others however, can be never ending money pits. Forewarned is forearmed as someone once said.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    tire-wear-problems-alignment-s.jpg

Not all inclusive, but it will give you an idea. It's hard for me to imagine only one front tire showing that much wear due to an overall suspension/steering issues though. One would think that if worn/broken parts were the cause, the opposite tire would show issues as well. Maybe not the same kind of wear, but premature wear nonetheless.
    Could be as simple as what Leo described where an older tire replaced a blown one to get by until funds/time allowed proper corrective action. Best to asks lots of questions of the seller, even have the vehicle inspected by a certified or trusted mech.
    Older trucks can be great as get arounds/utility/projects and some seem to run forever on merely a wing and a prayer. Others however, can be never ending money pits. Forewarned is forearmed as someone once said.

This is useful. I wont be going to see the truck until Saturday morning.

My trusted mechanic moved to DC shortly after I moved to Indy.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The chart does a really good job of showing wear. The one thing that is difficult to help is cornering wear. It looks a lot like excessive toe in and/or camber wear. The older rear drive cars were pretty heavy and naturally understeered, so a heavy footed driver would grind the outside edges of the tire down to cords. This even happens with radials, but the bias belted tires showed the damage quick. The front ends on the last 3 of my Grand Marquis sedans are all kept in perfect alignment spec, but I do tend to stuff them into the corners enough to throw off the mechanics diagnosis.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom