• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-Bolt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    An easy and cheap alternative to candles in a disaster are solar landscape lights. Some cost as little as $1. Stick them in the sun during the day and use them all night.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Those might work if you can get them bright enough.

I like using candles, you can get a ton of tealights cheap, and reflecting/magnifying the light source is easy enough...but then again 90% of the time we have a candle burning :dunno:

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    An easy and cheap alternative to candles in a disaster are solar landscape lights. Some cost as little as $1. Stick them in the sun during the day and use them all night.

I've actually bought several of these to recharge AA and AAA batteries.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I found that these work pretty well. Just like Glowsticks, but the run off a battery, and the are LED so they dont use a great charge. Used them the last two times that the storms blew out the power.
    Light Sticks-LED @ Ranger Joes
    They are less then 3 a piece, and you can always pick up more batteries to charge them. Although mine still have not ran out of power. I have spares, cause never know when any battery will die.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

I actually did this the last power outage. They worked great for giving enough light to see going to the bathroom or just walking around the house. Lasted through the night as well, which was cool.

Can't read by them too easily, unless just looking at a label for say food content. Got them from a rental house so they were free for testing. Actually planned to pull the panels to toy with an impromptu cell trickle charger or some such.

They are obviously safer than leaving a candle burn all night. Especially with kids, pets and clumsy spouses.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I prefer candles... I've never had any of the cheaper solar landscape lights work well or last a while...

I have boxes upon boxes of candles I've gotten for free... watch church rummage sales, auctions etc... normally there are candles that just plane don't sell and get thrown in the dumpster. The wax from scrap candles has many uses... I use it for fire starters a lot... but I keep the nicer candles for power outages and such...

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

This actually works well and we did this one weekend this July just before our vacation. We were packing and the power went off. We had those things everywhere. Worked great. Ours were LED types from Lowes. They give off fine light.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those might work if you can get them bright enough.

I like using candles, you can get a ton of tealights cheap, and reflecting/magnifying the light source is easy enough...but then again 90% of the time we have a candle burning :dunno:

If you remove the globe the little bulbs put out a good bit of light and are not affected by wind/rain etc. This is a good idea as my wife has a butt load of those things.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've actually bought several of these to recharge AA and AAA batteries.

While this is a good idea, be sure to confirm the lights you buy actually use AA or AAA sized batteries. The lights I purchased on sale from Menards a few years ago used a 3.2v, 400mAh battery, which was the same diameter, but about a quarter inch shorter than a standard AA. On a side note, after a year of outdoor use, only about 1/3 of them still worked, and then only for a few hours a night. Different manufacturers, and only using them for emergencies, would obviously have an impact on their lifespan.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Just bought a few from Wally Mart that were discounted to $.50 each! They are 4th of July sellouts. I agree most don't last more than a year or so. My kitty cat likes to paw at candles till she feels the heat, then jumps down. My wife has to supervise if we have candles lit. Don't want the house lookin like a BBQ, so we are very carefull.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    While this is a good idea, be sure to confirm the lights you buy actually use AA or AAA sized batteries. The lights I purchased on sale from Menards a few years ago used a 3.2v, 400mAh battery, which was the same diameter, but about a quarter inch shorter than a standard AA. On a side note, after a year of outdoor use, only about 1/3 of them still worked, and then only for a few hours a night. Different manufacturers, and only using them for emergencies, would obviously have an impact on their lifespan.

Most of the new ones I ran across were AAA. Had a hell of a time finding a few of AA ones. I got lucky and found 4 lights that used the 1.2V 2000 mAh. I changed out the batteries with 1.2 2500 mAh rechargeable AA's and they seemed to work fine for the 2 weeks I tested them.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I also have the Colemans. They work when you rotate the batteries per season, or leave out till you need them. The LED models seem costly, but will try one out and advise.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    depending on the task at hand, crank flash lights will work with no electricity, battery power or fire.

Top Bottom