Am I allowed to carry a pistol now? (18)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGuy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Hello INGunOwners,

I turned 18 last December and I am wanting to get my Conceal Carry Permit... Which I am almost done with the steps but I've been told I can carry and I've been told I can't... So which one is it? The way I am thinking is that I am allowed to BUT I have to buy from a private seller not a Licensed Seller... Not sure... Any help is MUCH appreciated!!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yes, you can carry, as long as you have your LTCH (License To Carry Handgun). You can't buy at a gun store, but you can buy from individuals. Get your LTCH and carry! Welcome to INGO.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    IN will issue a license to carry a handgun at age 18. Purchasing a new handgun from a dealer is a no go. Not illegal for you to own and carry the firearm. My suggestion would be for your parents to gift you a handgun. Be a great late Christmas, birthday or graduation present.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    License to Carry Handgun - at least what it is called in Indiana. Some folks call it a conceal carry permit. Hit the FAQ (linked in my signature below) and read up on LTCH. Should cover about everything.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Indiana doesn't issue concealed carry permits, they issue license to carry a handgun which allows you to carry concealed or openly.
    ^Beat to the punch

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Where do you get a LTCH then? I thought its the same as a Conceal Carry...

Indiana state police- firearms licenses division.
    Indiana does not issue "concealed carry permits". Indiana does not issue any firearms "permits" at all.
    They issue a license to carry a handgun.
    This license allows you to carry any handgun legally possessed. It does not even have to belong to you, as long as it is "legally possessed".
    The license also does not dictate how you can carry. Indiana is an open carry state.
    You can duct tape it to your forehead if you'd like, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Apply for a license to carry a handgun. Lifetime is only $125 I believe, unless they've upped the cost.
    The other one is only good for 4 years.
    Wait times have been next to nothing as long as all your information is correct and current, and you have no felonies.
    Apply, pay your fees, and you should have your license before the end of March.

Get some training, and familiarize yourself with the firearms laws in your jurisdiction.
    Always check local laws where you plan to travel. Local laws can get you in some deep, well, in deep, in some states.

Good luck.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Has anyone mentioned that Indiana doesn't issue a concealed carry permit, but a License To Carry Handgun (LTCH) and that Indiana law is silent on how you carry the handgun?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yes. My son got his LTCH at 18, and I gifted him a pistol. You also can't buy the pistol ammunition, and I'm looking forward to him turning 21 so he can quit mooching my .45.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, where did the "duct tape to the forehead" start? I've been saying that for YEARS, and have noticed it on this forum a few times.

Wherever... it is awesome. Someone needs to marked a duct tape forehead holster.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    There's a guy I work with that just got his LTCH and started carrying... but he says he can't buy ammo for a handgun until he's 21. Is this true or only certain retailers?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So, where did the "duct tape to the forehead" start? I've been saying that for YEARS, and have noticed it on this forum a few times.

Wherever... it is awesome. Someone needs to marked a duct tape forehead holster.

I started teaching basic pistol courses about 6 or 7 years ago. I started telling people they could duct tape it to their foreheads just to make sure everyone was still paying attention.
    I had not heard it uttered before I started, that I know of.

Someone would buy a duct tape forehead holster.
    They bought pet rocks, and pistol bayonets...

Top Bottom