• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I'm typing on an iPhone so this will be as short and to the point as possible.

The dilemma: I recently purchased a Ruger LCP .380 for pocket carry. I went this route so that I'm able to deeply conceal while at work and other places where I feel I need to conceal deeply. I also purchased a DeSantis "Pocket Shot" holster (POCKET SHOT, Pocket Holster, Pocket Holster Ruger LCP, DesantisHolster.com). Today as I was attending a meeting for work, I came to the realization that my LCP was muzzling the presenter when he would pace in front of me while giving his presentation... LCP was in the pocket shot, in my pocket, and the barrel was facing toward my knee. (Which would be pointing toward the floor if I was in the standing position).

I know that one of Jeff Cooper's 4 rules is that you should never point the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy. Now, my question is, am I overthinking things here? I realize that I was not aiming the gun at the presenter, but just my sitting position was inadvertently muzzling him as he strafed back and forth the room. It made me feel very uncomfortable.

I know that many people pocket carry and are comfortable doing so.. How do you go about it.

Maybe I'm just extra skittish because the "pocket shot" holster doesn't cover the trigger in any way..?

Side note: I do not carry anything else in my front pocket with the holster/gun combination.

Any ideas or opinions on this?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    LCP is DAO, nothing to worry about if pocket is empty and nothing touches the gun from outside. Guy next to you gets curious... or frisky... you might have a problem.

Next time, maybe push the barrel down towards the floor.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    Just curious, why bother putting the gun in a pocket holster if it doesn't cover the trigger? What would be the difference in just shoving a unholstered gun in your pocket?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not a fan of that holster and I won't discount your concern, but I would ask, what could you do to avoid this happening? It seems like pocket carry is your best option, but are there others to consider, which would avoid sweeping anyone or anything, at all times?

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    Also, I think the 4 rules applies more to firearm handling. Being aware of where it's pointing in the holster is fine, but nothing I would worry much about. Just my .02

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    Just curious, why bother putting the gun in a pocket holster if it doesn't cover the trigger? What would be the difference in just shoving a unholstered gun in your pocket?

The pocket shot holster is made to hold the gun so that you may fire it successfully without having to remove it from the holster.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I'm not a fan of that holster and I won't discount your concern, but I would ask, what could you do to avoid this happening? It seems like pocket carry is your best option, but are there others to consider, which would avoid sweeping anyone or anything, at all times?

In order for me to comfortably and successfully carry at work, I don't think any other way is feasible. I do too much bending, leaning, squatting, etc for any other form of carry to be comfortable. I may look into a holster that will cover the trigger though.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    So why have a holster? Just curious...I don't know much about that kind of holster and never pocket carried.

Basically I went this route because I can carry it in my front pocket, and it looks exactly like a wallet or my iPhone and no one thinks any different.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    In order for me to comfortably and successfully carry at work, I don't think any other way is feasible. I do too much bending, leaning, squatting, etc for any other form of carry to be comfortable. I may look into a holster that will cover the trigger though.

I think that's about the only way you can go.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    My personal opinion, I would go with a different type of holster. That one defeats the entire purpose of a holster, which is to secure the gun and protect the trigger.

Are you 100% confident that NOTHING is going to be able to move that trigger while carrying in that holster? That there is 0% chance that you get it caught on something?
    Have you practiced drawing the entire thing and putting rounds on target? How many rounds have you actually fired through it holstered like that? Are you 100% confident that the holster will not interfere with the proper functioning of the gun? Even at close contact distances when the gun/holster may be pressed right against someone?

With that holster I would be more worried about other things than if it was pointing straight out while sitting down. A better designed holster would alleviate most of those and your initial worries.

:twocents:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Personally I prefer the MIC/Trigger guard type holster for pocket carry.. As Que said not much difference in the holster you have and just dropping in your pocket. Just my:twocents:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Bright Firearms instructor trainee:)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I carry an LCP in a pocket holster sometimes when I want deep conceal or IWB won't work with my clothes or activity. I use an Alabama Holster pocket holster. It completely covers the trigger, has a thumb tab so that you can draw the pistol easily and has a hook that will catch in your pocket as you pull the pistol free to help unholstering.

Check them out:

Front Pocket Holster | Alabamaholster.com

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I like a holster that covers the trigger but YMMV. As far as the gun "pointing" at someone, I wouldn't worry too much about that because you're not fondling the gun or anything. :twocents:

rangler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2016
    Lafayette
    Totally understand your dilemma, as I would also be overly aware of the muzzle direction. Think I'd hafta buy slacks with larger pockets to allow for redirect.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    I carry an LCP from time to time and I use a Remora holster. It was actually for a Kahr PM9 I used to own, but it works perfectly. Covers the trigger perfectly. If your wearing dress slacks or khakis you need put pressure toward your thigh when you draw or you're liable to pull the holster out with it though. I have friends that purchased the correct size from Remora for the LCP and it was much worse.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I pocket carry an lcp daily and use either a desantis nemesis or an Alabama kydex. Both cover the trigger and even if the gun prints it looks like a wallet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for a remora. If the trigger isnt covered, its not a holster but a concealment mechanism to break up the outline and make it look less gun-ish. you need a pocket holster.

And to make you more paranoid, how do you feel about pocket carrying when you walk? Your foot is covered by the barrel. And in a multi level house, those in the floor below you could get muzzled.

Just get a proper pocket holster and carry on.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    No worries on safety though I prefer the other type of pocket holsters that stay in the pocket when the pistol is pulled out.

Chances are good if you're new to CC you're overthinking every single little aspect. No need to do so, even if it is unavoidable. Try it a few ways, go with what works best. Also, keep in mind your strategy (I need a gun even where I can't have a gun) may take overcomimg some discomfort. There may be no perfect way to do it. So, just do it.

Top Bottom