• Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Am I in the wrong?

Just to be clear -
    If you are married, you will always be in the wrong.....Get used to it. :(

As for holsters, most horizontal shoulder holsters aim the gun directly behind you. It's just what they do. Used them for ever. (don't stand behind me)

Your choice of caliber though-
    That should be like your back-up-gun's back-up-gun's back-up-gun.....if you were a girl.......maybe.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You could get a holster that's designed for your back pocket. Opposite your wallet side.

624082_ts.jpg

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Generally speaking, I would not be nervous about where the muzzle points, as long as it is in a secure holster. However, I would not qualify a holster that does not cover the trigger as, "secure" In my personal opinion.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I would want a holster that covers the trigger.

Carrying in a cargo pants side pocket, it points forward when sitting. If this make you uncomfortable, adjust it so it points to the floor. Then adjust it before standing back up. But do this with a proper holster that COVERS THE TRIGGER!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    How about a holster that allows for a spare mag.
    I usually carry this in my back pocket.
    attachment.php

Yeah, it's a Kel Tec, which the original.
    Ruger has the best fit and finish, but my Kel Tec works for me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm not a fan of the "open trigger" kind of holster. Not really a holster, IMHO. More of a "slide protector".

That said, after a lengthy conversation on whether or not a holstered handgun is "safe", I have no major concerns about "sweeping" someone with a properly holstered handgun. Essentially unavoidable, and a risk those who carry must accept. Kind of like assuming your car brakes will work, when used properly. Key word is "properly", and so use appropriate equipment and care for the method you choose to carry.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    When I pocket carry I carry in my back pocket and if, rarely, someone asks if that is a wallet back there, I ask why they are staring at my butt and it stops the questions.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never point a gun at anything you do not want to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Know your target and your backstop.

Those rules are such absolute genius... Succinct, complete, and easily learned and remembered.
    None of that covers the best and often forgotten part of them, though, which is that you have to break at least two of them for anyone to come to harm.

Your gun, in an otherwise empty pocket, may be pointed at someone else, true, but there is no chance of a finger (or anything else) accidentally/negligently getting into that trigger guard while it's in your pocket, unless you have some weird shaped tumor or something off of your right thigh. You're exceedingly aware of your unintentional target and backstop, and acutely aware of the fact that it's loaded.

Back several years, when I first started down this road to EDC, I knew I was ignorant of SO much, I made some happy errors in that ignorance. The first was that "women don't know guns and don't carry". Because of that thinking, I got online and I looked for information geared toward women who wanted to do so, to teach them basic information. My focus at the time was that any guy I went to to teach me would think me less manly (second ignorant error) for not knowing this stuff. I found corneredcat dot com, and "pax". She teaches in a very down-to-earth style and responded well to emailed questions. One of mine was very close to yours, insofar as "how do I carry without pointing at someone, including me" (that's a paraphrase) She told me, essentially, that those apply to handling the gun. When it and a person come into contact, that's when you have to worry, because it won't fire itself.

I have a Kel tec 9mm with the clip on it's side, that I sometimes carry clipped IWB. Pressed between my jeans and me, there's no way for anything to get into that trigger guard, but I still am looking for a good pocket holster. In the meantime, I'm good with it where it is.

As far as your LCP... I think you're probably OK. Maybe see about a Vanguard for it?

Blessings,
    Bill

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Great gun, great for pocket carry. Ignore the tangent this is getting off on, and yes please keep a round in the chamber.

I carry in a desantis super fly, which is similar to other suggestions made, get something that protects the trigger better.

When I first started carrying it, I had the same fearful "what if it just goes off??!" thoughts when i was sitting and muzzling everyone that walked past. It's been a few years and those fears/crazy thoughts have long since left. I now catch myself wrestling with the kids and all manner of other less safe activities before remembering that I have something in my pocket to be mindful of. If it's in a holster, and the trigger is covered, and it's a DAO, it's VERY unlikely that you'll need to worry about a negligent discharge.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I appreciate all of the insight in this thread. I'm dead set on finding a pocket holster that covers the trigger, however I'm not sure which way to go. If anyone has an opinion or has experience with a certain holster that works well for them, feel free to share. Thanks to those of you that have.

I'm torn between front pocket carry or rear pocket carry.. Which one do you prefer and why? I'd like to front pocket carry because I'm afraid if I rear pocket carry that A) it will be more noticeable and B) it wouldn't be as comfortable. (i.e. sitting on it)

Thoughts?

Top Bottom