Amateur Radio Operators:ARRL Memebers? ARES operators?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    From Chris Imlay, ARRL General Counsel:

Greetings, Don. Let me be very, very clear about this. We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue. There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever. We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time. If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated. This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever. We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD
    Amateur Radio Operators - ARRL ARES "weapons policy"

And the topic raised on QRZ:
    ARRLs view on legally posessed firearms by ARES members?

And photo related from QRZ
    attachment.php

So it would appear that the national group that has no legal authority to do anything but trademark their logo, that you volunteer your time for, doesn't want you to carry outside your home and talk on the radio, or you can't use their logo anymore.

:popcorn:

And I will add the random fact that Hiram Maxim not only invented suppressors, but was also an Amateur Radio Operator, and he founded the ARRL; so it seems the organization may also need a little bit of self history when considering their policy making.

Last edited:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Ah screw them. I like the ARRL but ARES is over rated.

When the world comes down to a bunch of morbidly obese hams with some handie-talkies we're all screwed anyway.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I agree 100% with Sailor (as most of the time). I'm also a member of our local RACES & EMA, and no one has ever said anything about not carrying (not even in the EOC). If I'm out and about on a radio assignment, I'll be carrying, and if the ARRL doesn't like, then they don't get any more of my money. -- Greg/Grizhicks

Top Bottom