• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Man, that sucks hard. I'm so sick of getting nickeled and dimed. Between the no tax and usually free shipping Amazon saved me a ton on a regular basis.

I'm super sad to hear this.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Man, that sucks hard. I'm so sick of getting nickeled and dimed. Between the no tax and usually free shipping Amazon saved me a ton on a regular basis.

I'm super sad to hear this.
    Get used to this, they are only doing it because people abuse the system in place now. You are supposed to claim it on your taxes already, they are just making sure you do it.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    If I'm not mistaken sales tax is charged on the sale. Merchants usually charge it as a percentage on top of their prices. The merchant pays the tax on the sale. When I walk out of Lowe's I don't have to make sure that Lowe's paid the correct tax to the state. Nor do I care.

And I'm guessing that the state isn't going to have a leg to stand on to come back to the purchaser to try and collect sales tax.

But I'm thinking the days of online sales tax dodging are coming to an end.

Save the brick and mortar. (and the masons) Oddly, those merchants are free to sell online if desired.

Now here is what really pisses me off: I spend about 25% of my life buying parts and materials and repairing or building things. Say I want a part for something. Like a CAT excavator. I call up Lafayette, (not a real dealer with a stock room full of parts as if any are now) and "they can order the part". So I wait, maybe pay for shipping if it's a rush. Take an hour trip down to pick up said part, pay the tax.

Contrast that with buying the part from an out of state source, and having the brown truck drop it at my door? If these places "just want to order it" Why the F&*# should I pay a brick and mortar fee for the non service of not being able to put my hands on said part when I walk in the door?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Extortionists want their money anyway they can.

Thieves.

Some one explain to me how I have to pay for a "privilege" to buy things I need?

Clothing (not just any clothing) but lets say basic $10 jumper for a baby. Why should I have to pay a fee to cloth my baby?

Can anyone here explain to me why I must pay a fee to the government so I can put clothing on my baby?

Ef' sales taxes. They just as abhorrent as property taxes. :xmad:

-1 to amazon. As all levels of government turn to more and more oppressive means of stealing my money, the black market looks more and more appealing.

You know what the problem there is? There is no way to know if you are buying stolen goods.... but what choice do we have? Pay extortion fees to a government that cannot reign in it's budgets or risk buying stolen goods?

Like always, government will fuel criminal enterprises are they become bigger criminals themselves. Once the line blurs, you cannot live without supporting criminals.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Amazon will voluntarily begin collecting Indiana sales tax on Internet purchases on Jan 1, 2014, or 90 days from any federal online sales tax legislation that may pass before that time, according to a statement from Daniels' office.

The bold part scares me the most

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Online retailers without a physical presence in a state do not have to collect sales tax on purchases by those residents. As e-commerce ballooned in recent years, that exemption came under pressure from several states looking to fill big budget gaps.

"Exemption"? I don't think I've ever heard a clause of the Constitution called an "exemption" before. :rolleyes:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Technically you are responsible for the tax on anything you buy. The government wants its cash.

... You are supposed to claim it on your taxes already, they are just making sure you do it.

... And now is the time to fix that. We are TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY! Forget about closing the loopholes. Make them legit! We don't need to tax online or catalog sales!

It's time to raise hell! Right now!

This is an election year. We need to hold our officials accountable NOW. We WILL hold Amazon accountable with our $ in 2014. It is up to US to make it a talking point. Brick and mortar has spoken, now for the consumer.

Mitch and Amazon done what they needed to do politically at this moment. That can be changed before implementation. So can the state sales tax rate to make brick and mortar more competitive.

Beyond that, brick and mortar needs to grow up and adapt to the current business climate. The old guys who grew up monopolizing the markets (Mel Simon) will adapt or wither.

How is our next governor going to handle this? What about other elected officials?
    How do the Hoosier Amazon employees feel about this?
    What about the shippers? Post Office, UPS, FedEx, Etc.

Last edited:

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Amazon has just lost my business. Between this and recieving the wrong text book today, they can go screw themselves (since I can't say what I really want to). I really want to take this book up to Plainfield Amazon distribution warehouse and stick it so far up someones 4th point of contact that it would take a surgeon to remove it:xmad:

All I do is try to keep my head above water, and get it broke off in me each day!

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Simon was behind this, they felt that it was taking sales away from the retailers that pay them rent. In that case it's the retailers rent that is partially based on sales percentage.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm willing to bet Amazon spends the next 2 years finding a state in which to invest that wants the jobs more than Indiana apparently does. No sales tax, no jobs, more unemployment compensation being paid out, less income and property taxes being paid. Great going Indiana. Isn't it about time you kicked those corporate welfare Simon leeches out on their collective ***?

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I'm willing to bet Amazon spends the next 2 years finding a state in which to invest that wants the jobs more than Indiana apparently does. No sales tax, no jobs, more unemployment compensation being paid out, less income and property taxes being paid. Great going Indiana. Isn't it about time you kicked those corporate welfare Simon leeches out on their collective ***?

They have done this already in other states that did the same thing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just got a Amazon package of batteries from Whitestown, IN. One of two or maybe three this week.

These folks better start speaking up, along with the FedEx lady who brought it to me. If there is not a financial advantage, I'll take that business to Walmart or Menards. How will they feel about working for those folks? How much will the state and local revenues change for these people?

This is very similar to SOPA that Spasmo mentioned above. We have lawmakers bowing to pressures applied by traditional special interests to make laws in areas that they have no understanding of.

Last edited:

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    why is eveyone so upset? having you been lying on your state taxes? may not be on the short forms, but on the longer form, there is a question about out of state purchases, and paying the taxes on those sales -- while I don't like it, the requirement has been there for a while

Top Bottom