• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Can these be added to 1911s? I have a couple 1911s that have been strictly range pieces. I picked up a decent holster at the 1500 this weekend and realized being a lefty makes it difficult to disengage the safety! Never was an issue shooting at the range but absolutely no go if trying to carry cocked and locked.
    So, can I get an ambidextrous safety added to my Springfield R-1 and RI 1911 or do I need to sell them and buy one that come with an ambi safety?

Thanks, Matt

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yes, an Ambidextrous safety can be installed on your 1911. This is a part that must be properly fitted and should be done by a competent gunsmith with 1911 experience.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I'll put a 3rd on that. Trust churchmouse. i'm a lefty and have dealt with installing them. If you feel up to the task - buy 2. The first one you fit will not be good. I promise. 2nd one might be "ok" but it won't feel like factory if you are new at it...

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Agree with the others. Have someone who knows what they are doing install it. Had a local guy put my Wilson Bulletproof on and it is crap. His excuse was I didn't tell him it would require fitting.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Thanks for the responses! I should have searched to see if they were easily available but I wouldn't have learned their install can be problematic. I think I'll buy one and try it myself on my RI. If it is successful I'll continue with the R-1 if not I'll have to solicit help.

Thanks, Matt

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Agree with the others. Have someone who knows what they are doing install it. Had a local guy put my Wilson Bulletproof on and it is crap. His excuse was I didn't tell him it would require fitting.

:laugh: The Wilson is touted by some as being nearly drop in. Very few 1911 parts are such. Any guy who is supposed to be a gunsmith would know that otherwise it would just be a parts swap. Someday when we get together again I am going to have to look at your 1911. Maybe see if we can buy the Mouse a burger.

Someday my my goal is to make it up to AllenM and learn how to properly fit and tune small parts like grip safeties, extractors, set the sear spring and fit thumb safeties. Thanks to ChurchMouse I can fit a trigger (I don't mess with Sears and won't). But I would like to learn more about the small parts. I have figured out how to make small adjustments on my own but a class would be cool.

OP a person who wants a true hard use ambi safety should look at the Wilson Bulletproof. ChurchMouse fit an Ed Brown to my wife's gun and it is quite nice. But I don't think it would hold up to carry duty. Her gun is a range gun and she doesn't ride the safety. The ambi on her kimber seems good and I think suitable for carry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for the responses! I should have searched to see if they were easily available but I wouldn't have learned their install can be problematic. I think I'll buy one and try it myself on my RI. If it is successful I'll continue with the R-1 if not I'll have to solicit help.

Thanks, Matt

Just know this and please do pay close attention.
    Safety fit up is the absolute most critical thing one can do to any gun. Not something to be taken lightly.
    There is a process to fitting up a thumb safety to a 1911. It is critical and takes some time.
    I am not pushing for work here but I am saying it is most important. I have experienced crappy workmanship in this area that caused an A.D. at the range. Scared the hell out of me. It was due to a poor fit on the thumb safety.
    Not saying you can not learn this but to save $50 over safety is a bit of a push IMHO.

Your call of course.

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    if you want to try your hand at it, there are some videos on youtube that do a very good job of explaining it. Just be sure to performa good safety check to insure it is operating properly. If you go slow and take your time it is not a difficult part to fit and you will learn some about how the 1911 functions.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I received the ambi safety I ordered off eBay and had a go at installing it this morning. It took some fitting but I got it installed. I'm not sure what all I did wrong but it seemed to work okay with the gun partially assembled but fully assembled it wouldn't go into "safe" position. I'll try again tomorrow. I suspect the leaf spring may have slipped out of place a bit. I ran out of time so I set it aside till I have more time.

Matt

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Thanks, Matt

Installing a safety from a technical stand point really isn't that hard. The hardest part is just cutting that sear shelf at the right angle and not overdoing it. Less is definitely more when filing that. Check it often and you can use the original as a guide on where to file and at what angle but not on how much to take off. As others have said watch several tutorials but nothing will be the same as actually doing it. There are some 'cheap' ambi's out there, buy one of those to practice with and if you're confident after that buy one of the Wilson bulletproof ones, nothing else compares. Take note, i've done some R.I's and sometimes the cut in the frame where you slide the safety in is not to spec and you have to do some additional fitting to allow the safety to move up and down (and sometimes it's deficiencies in the safety geometry as well). So if you get your sear cut to depth but the safety won't move you have to look elsewhere for where it's binding.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Installing a safety from a technical stand point really isn't that hard. The hardest part is just cutting that sear shelf at the right angle and not overdoing it. Less is definitely more when filing that. Check it often and you can use the original as a guide on where to file and at what angle but not on how much to take off. As others have said watch several tutorials but nothing will be the same as actually doing it. There are some 'cheap' ambi's out there, buy one of those to practice with and if you're confident after that buy one of the Wilson bulletproof ones, nothing else compares. Take note, i've done some R.I's and sometimes the cut in the frame where you slide the safety in is not to spec and you have to do some additional fitting to allow the safety to move up and down (and sometimes it's deficiencies in the safety geometry as well). So if you get your sear cut to depth but the safety won't move you have to look elsewhere for where it's binding.

I doubt the spring had anything to do with this.

RI's are horrible in this sense.

OP.....test the safety completely when you are done. Please.

Top Bottom