• ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I am not a huge fan of either show, but I like Sons of Guns more. For whatever reason, I can at least watch most of that show, were on American Guns, I just do not like ONE person on the show. As for the M2 episode, I could have sworn that they did talk about the head space and timing, but they did not have a gauge, cause they kept messing with it. Heck, I still remember the head space and timing of my M2 from 04, even though I gauged it everytime I took the barrel on and off. Never want to get that wrong before a fire fight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    WOW, 3 pages and not a single person has addressed the original question. 18-20k seems steep to me also, im not sure how much a block of copper like that would have costed but... I'd assume thats where most of the money went into. The rest looked easy to take care of since they had the tools needed. Not sure how much they would have added for the tool usage

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    American Guns is complete BS, Rich is nothing but a huge douche who is out to screw everyone else over. I wouldn't cross the street to **** on him if he were on fire.

I watched a handful of shows, and he acted the same way in every one of them. It's amazing he has any "friends" at all with the way he treats people - both customers and employees/family. All his junk is hideously overpriced; he refuses to give anyone decent value on their own stuff, while thinking his items are made from solid gold.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You have to realize, a real gun show that would truly appeal to gun geeks (you know, us) would be a real niche show. These guys have to sell it to the advertisers if they want to hope for airtime outside Sunday before dawn. To sell the advertisers (a very unimaginative group of people, ironically), it must be founded on elements of whatever is the current "thing" on TV; "reality" these days. That's why you get what you get from these shows, and why it's what you should expect.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    You have to realize, a real gun show that would truly appeal to gun geeks (you know, us) would be a real niche show. These guys have to sell it to the advertisers if they want to hope for airtime outside Sunday before dawn. To sell the advertisers (a very aginative group of people, ironically), it must be founded on elements of whatever is the current "thing" on TV; "reality" these days. That's why you get what you get from these shows, and why it's what you should expect.

This is exactly right. If you want a real show about guns, watch the military channel, or the outdoor channel. As I'm not a fan of sons of guns, I'll watch american guns. As gun guys/gals, we can pick up on the bs, but the general public is still scared of firearms, and the more exposure, especially from a reputable name like the discovery channel, with a positive message, (guns aren't inherently bad things) the better.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    Either show is just 'OK'... they each have their own major down falls. I didn't like on American Guns when they built a cannon out of an old O2 tank, or how their really huge gunsmith fires a rifle barrel to test it while holding just the barrel (no stock) in his hand in the basement, cause that seems safe! At least Sons of Guns has a closed range to test with.. I do feel their stuff is over priced and feel like their exploiting Paige. Either show is just for show and drama and not really for the weapons enthusiast... IMO...

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I didn't read this whole thread. The one show I watched they set up a smoke generator on her front bumper to make it look like her radiator had a hole in it. They didn't even try to make it look like a radiator leak. They must think we're pretty stupid.
    Yeah, SOG and this one are both crap.

Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    I find the whole bunch of them to be pretty much unwatchable. These are nothing but "drama queen" shows; notice how little time is spent on actual gun data, compared to how much time is wasted on Will having a hissy fit because his daughter is supposedly having "happy time" with an employee, or some other useless soap opera/high school drama crap. Come to think of it, it's the same formula used in Flying Wild Alaska, where they take situations in flying that are normal operations, and try and depict them as life and death situations. I think these BS shows are written for 12 year olds.
    :drama:

AXE835

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    East central Indiana
    Sons of Guns is a better "show" than Amer.guns. At least there are prices on SOG's website for thier guns. You all have to remember when American Chopper first started people gripped about it to. It takes 150 hours of tape to do a 45 min. show (before commercials are added), just saying :twocents:.

:bowdown::chuck::patriot::ar15::ingo:

JDvader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    Whatever happened to that show Locked & Loaded with R.Lee Ermey? I thought that was a pretty good show. He shot real guns, and you learned a brief history of those weapons. And no stupid story lines.

Foodman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    I still don't have 50 quality post...but I can get twenty post on a lame ass topic like American Guns...LOL

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    I think everyone is being too hard on these shows. They are after all for pure entertainment. The cold hard facts of a Gun shop and Gun smiths business would be entirely too boring for TV. Even a show about Barrett would only be good for a one hour show. These programs are are all about guns girls and $$$$$.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    And now for post number 2 in 4 pages relating to the op......

18k+ for any gun is rediculous. But then again; something is only worth what some dumba$$ is willing to pay for it......

As far as the reference to Jesse James, he said it himself..... You can't be afraid to charge people what you believe your work is worth. If it is good enough, people will pay anything.....

As for the raging debate about which crap show is better, the answer is simple - they both blow! Both are guilty in various episodes of poor weapon handling, or general mis-information. Both try to over dramatize the mundane, in the name of ratings. Both will ultimately fail, and worse yet, both will paint guns and gun owners in a pi$$ poor light before their respective ships sink....:twocents:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Back to the original topic, you can always go online and see what the estimated value of any gun is worth, but you are right, 18k for any gun is way too much. At least for me, I do know that some guns are worth quite a bit, but if you can't use them, not too much for me. If they don't have history, not worth so much either, but thats just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom