American Reloading, the wheels are falling off.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have bought a fair amount from them over the past few years with mostly positive experiences.

Over the past 30-90 days, orders are not being filled at a rate escalating to more than 1 in 3, getting emails stating something to the effect; sorry, there was an inventory error & we don't have it, don't expect to get it again any time soon. Got similar news twice yesterday on different orders.

The shipping has been very slow at times (3+ weeks), sometimes causing issues with travel & signature required items. When we didn't have travel plans it wasn't an issue.

I can't be the only one experiencing this.

I have been pleased & posted deals from them in the past, not sure about moving forward though.

If the order is important I will probably look elsewhere.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Weren't we just talking about them, for a few weeks there website has been acting stupid for me.
    I just ordered $399.00 worth of stuff that came back in stock. I got an instant email back from them so the next few days will tell I guess. I made the order on the 14th and my account says the order will ship tomorrow :dunno:
    This will be my fourth or fifth order from them. A few of those orders I never did get tracking until days after the order showed up.

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I had piggybacked on the deals thread the other day, thought I would start a thread specific.

A couple of these orders were placed last year, just now getting news. One was for 180gr xtp's (?) for my 357max project.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Weren't we just talking about them, for a few weeks there website has been acting stupid for me.
    I just ordered $399.00 worth of stuff that came back in stock. I got an instant email back from them so the next few days will tell I guess. I made the order on the 14th and my account says the order will ship tomorrow :dunno:
    This will be my fourth or fifth order from them. A few of those orders I never did get tracking until days after the order showed up.
    It took six or seven days for me to get an email update for my order and I got it after 10 or 11 days

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Could their business model be structured such that they list product for sale on their website based on ANTICIPATED incoming material, that once received, for whatever reason, generates far, far less than expected available product?

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Could their business model be structured such that they list product for sale on their website based on ANTICIPATED incoming material, that once received, for whatever reason, generates far, far less than expected available product?

After having dealt with them for some time now. My mind imagines desks covered with piles of paper in no particular order, stray shipping labels, full trash cans flowing over in the corner, boxes stacked up with sharpie notes on them, etc

I have dealt with agents/brokers like that over the years.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I look at the RMR business model, they are demil as well however extremely organized, at least that is my perception of them. In normal times their shipping is lightning fast, many times I received the order before receiving the tracking #.

In busy times they put the heads up that shipping will be delayed for X-days.

They have grown to now being a manufacturer of quality bullets.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hate to see this. I've bought a few batches of stuff from them in years past.

They are likely on their last leg of business. Trying to keep their heads above water is a struggle they might not win. This economy is worse for those that cannot readily just raise pricing to cover the steadily rising cost of doing business.

Businesses whose selling factor is low pricing to the consumer are kind of screwed in this economy, as a lot of the behind the scenes costs are surprises that cripple the business, before they can recoup.

Even the cost of labor rising (that most everyone thought was good, :n00b: ) has not yet fully been incorporated into a lot of business plans. Add in rising costly inefficiencies like work at home, benefits packages, etc. and you have a smaller business problem.

:twocents:

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hate to see this. I've bought a few batches of stuff from them in years past.

They are likely on their last leg of business. Trying to keep their heads above water is a struggle they might not win. This economy is worse for those that cannot readily just raise pricing to cover the steadily rising cost of doing business.

Businesses whose selling factor is low pricing to the consumer are kind of screwed in this economy, as a lot of the behind the scenes costs are surprises that cripple the business, before they can recoup.

Even the cost of labor rising (that most everyone thought was good, :n00b: ) has not yet fully been incorporated into a lot of business plans. Add in rising costly inefficiencies like work at home, benefits packages, etc. and you have a smaller business problem.

:twocents:
    Why is it so tough for an internet based sales company to change pricing.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    My .02, had one (so far only one) order refunded because they admittedly errored on in-stock. My assumption is that their website gets behind or their order queue is not following well so some folks that ordered while the item was in-stock get shafted. Still get great deals on bullets etc. and quick refund. What’s not to like?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why is it so tough for an internet based sales company to change pricing.

Lots of reasons.

Number one could well be that the timeframe between product ordered and shipped turns up unanticipated operating costs.

Number two could be that raising pricing takes the company out of contention to be the great deal that American Reloading has a reputation of being.

Ate at McDonalds lately? While a lot of naïve folk still go there, those of us who are cost conscious realize they are not a good deal anymore. I'm sure if American Reloading knows anything, it's how competitive pricing effects sales. They are likely operating on close margins and get "caught" in unexpected costs of doing business.

Number three might be that the companies American Reloading is buying from have similar problems. Problems that a lot of small to middle range companies have these days?

Have you paid an insurance bill lately? Bought gas? A new delivery vehicle? Paid a shipper? Had any repair or construction done from a company? Etc, etc, etc...

Everything is effected by a sliding economy. Often before it is realized as such.

:spend:

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Demilling? What is that? Just curious
    Breaking down ammunition from over runs, outdated ammo, unknown mil ammo that's in storage, runs of ammo that was out of spec, first of the run blems when setting up machines. And many other reasons. It's one of the places that "Pulled" bullets come from.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Lots of reasons.

Number one could well be that the timeframe between product ordered and shipped turns up unanticipated operating costs.

Number two could be that raising pricing takes the company out of contention to be the great deal that American Reloading has a reputation of being.

Ate at McDonalds lately? While a lot of naïve folk still go there, those of us who are cost conscious realize they are not a good deal anymore. I'm sure if American Reloading knows anything, it's how competitive pricing effects sales. They are likely operating on close margins and get "caught" in unexpected costs of doing business.

Number three might be that the companies American Reloading is buying from have similar problems. Problems that a lot of small to middle range companies have these days?

Have you paid an insurance bill lately? Bought gas? A new delivery vehicle? Paid a shipper? Had any repair or construction done from a company? Etc, etc, etc...

Everything is effected by a sliding economy. Often before it is realized as such.
    Do you own or have owned a wholesale of retail business?

Top Bottom