• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I thought the same thing when Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and Al Gore was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and an Oscar...Sometimes folks get awards because someone thinks they should...In this case I believe that Texas loved Chris Kyle a great deal and thought he represented the ideals of Texas in a positive manner...

Perhaps he was just trying to show that he appreciates the sacrifice and loss they went through???? I can't imagine losing my spouse and I am sure as a Texan she will appreciate that medal very much...Often times we forget that War can be Hell on the families left at home as well as the actual service men and women fighting overseas...I have no problem with the widow of an American serviceman responsible for saving countless lives of his fellow servicemen getting a medal and an award from her home state to recognize her sacrifice...

Just my opinion......

edit...Looks like the award was for Chris Kyle and posthumously given to his wife...She accepted the award on his behalf....

[video=youtube;vM_Z7czqnks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM_Z7czqnks[/video]

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I thought the same thing when Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and Al Gore was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and an Oscar...Sometimes folks get awards because someone thinks they should...In this case I believe that Texas loved Chris Kyle a great deal and thought he represented the ideals of Texas in a positive manner...

Perhaps he was just trying to show that he appreciates the sacrifice and loss they went through???? I can't imagine losing my spouse and I am sure as a Texan she will appreciate that medal very much...Often times we forget that War can be Hell on the families left at home as well as the actual service men and women fighting overseas...I have no problem with the widow of an American serviceman responsible for saving countless lives of his fellow servicemen getting a medal and an award from her home state to recognize her sacrifice...

Just my opinion......

edit...Looks like the award was for Chris Kyle and posthumously given to his wife...She accepted the award on his behalf....

Chris Kyle did some great things as soldier and a civilian, but I'm sure plenty of other Texans did as well. I won't say he doesn't deserve the award, but one can't help thinking that his notoriety is what pushed this. Which is kinda takes away from other Texans who probably are just as deserving.
    Not a knock on Kyle, but on the politicains who, no doubt, are trying to capitalize on his name.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle

Just my opinion......

You read my mind. IF Obama had as much patriotism in his whole body as Chris Kyle did in his finger nail we would be a great country.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Documents obtained by The Intercept though a Freedom of Information request show that Kyle -- who became America's deadliest sniper during his tours in Iraq -- earned one Silver Star and three Bronze stars with valor. That differs from the two Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars that Kyle wrote about in his book, which was later made into a movie starring Bradley Cooper.

Navy probing discrepancies in 'American Sniper' medal records - CNNPolitics.com

What in the world? The guy would be considered a legend even without the medals, what's the point of inflating? Chris was an awesome warrior, but I thing the idea of his legend went to his head.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Let's try telling a little more of the story:

[H]is discharge documents, known as a DD-214, indicated the higher numbers for both the Silver Stars and Bronze Stars, and were cited by Kyle in his book.

So unless Chris Kyle drafted his own DD-214, I think I'll give him a pass if there were errors made...which would have been made by someone else.

The difficulty surrounding the discrepancies are compounded by the fact that some of the records in Kyle's file, who was discharged in 2009, were compiled from non-computer based systems earlier in his career, Pau said.

Kyle would have played no role in the production of his personnel files other than signing the DD-214 upon his discharge.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So you wouldn't rely on your DD-214?

You think he thought he really won those awards, but they simply forgot to have the ceremonies? Saw it on his DD-214, and was like "Yep, they just forgot to give them to me, no skin, it's on my 214, so it's the troof."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You think he thought he really won those awards, but they simply forgot to have the ceremonies? Saw it on his DD-214, and was like "Yep, they just forgot to give them to me, no skin, it's on my 214, so it's the troof."

I don't know. Things aren't always so formal.

At this point, what difference does it really make?

None whatsoever. Both the Navy and CNN have better things to do.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co

so you're in a combat zone and are awarded what ever..... do they really have a full blow ceremony to award those each time? or is it more like a hand shake, pat on the back, and "good job! now get back out there and kick some more ass!"

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    so you're in a combat zone and are awarded what ever..... do they really have a full blow ceremony to award those each time? or is it more like a hand shake, pat on the back, and "good job! now get back out there and kick some more ass!"

If the Navy could screw up on the DD-214, why couldn't it screw up in not notifying him of awards which had been approved? Why should he assume the DD-214 was wrong and not that they neglected to award him what he had earned?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I think of those line officers who received awards for just showing up....and then I think of guys like Chris Kyle. Different leagues. The media loves to destroy heroism. It's a cultural illness.

I'd love to have a reporter in my foxhole. They make great sandbags.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The DD Form 214 is the DD Form 214, period, dot, end of statement. Documents attained through a FOIA request do not (repeat, DO NOT) have precedence over a DD Form 214. A man who is now deceased cited his DD Form 214 concerning medals received for heroism, and some bunch says "No, not right"?? NO!!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The DD Form 214 is the DD Form 214, period, dot, end of statement. Documents attained through a FOIA request do not (repeat, DO NOT) have precedence over a DD Form 214. A man who is now deceased cited his DD Form 214 concerning medals received for heroism, and some bunch says "No, not right"?? NO!!

The question is whether he actually earned those awards or not. If he didn't, and by some mistake they appeared on his DD214, should he be able to claim the honors for those additional awards? I say no. An honorable person would immediately point out the mistake, would they not?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The question is whether he actually earned those awards or not. If he didn't, and by some mistake they appeared on his DD214, should he be able to claim the honors for those additional awards? I say no. An honorable person would immediately point out the mistake, would they not?

...and again, the evidence that he knew the DD-214 was a mistake (if it was) would be......

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can easily see not knowing how many medals you are awarded.
    You go "do some stuff".
    Sometimes it gets submitted for a medal, sometimes it isn't.
    Sometimes it gets approved, sometimes it isn't.
    Gets bumped up
    Sometimes it gets further approval. Sometimes no.
    Sometimes, it get's bumped back down for a question or verification.
    Then start again.

Now, try that with several medals being submitted.

Heck, I think I only have 4 medals, and I'm not entirely sure have them all since I departed the sub and it continued it's Med Run.
    I know we received a MUC (Meritorious Unit Commendation) from a previous Med Run.
    But when I look up various accounts of what happened, I find 3 different stories of why we won that award.
    And I had no where the record that Mr. Kyle had.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So, The Intercept, a bunch of east coast liberals funded by the eBay founder...

Top Bottom