• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I believe it. Things are getting harder and harder to find now.

All in all, I think that things WILL get better. All of those masses of new gun owners are more people who are going to be looking out for gun rights and the 2nd amendment, and the general trend at this time is towards a more gun-friendly society.

It may get worse before it gets better, but the pendulum is going to be coming our way before too long.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I believe it. Things are getting harder and harder to find now.

All in all, I think that things WILL get better. All of those masses of new gun owners are more people who are going to be looking out for gun rights and the 2nd amendment, and the general trend at this time is towards a more gun-friendly society.

It may get worse before it gets better, but the pendulum is going to be coming our way before too long.

When (if) things get better, do you think that there will then be a huge boom in the used handgun market? Or will the majority of people going out to buy their first guns hold on to them...even if those guns just sit on a shelf gathering dust?

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i think a lil of both. some will let them sit and collect dust and some will feel like they dont really need a gun. either way it will still help us gun enthusiests, in terms of finding the right firearm u wer looking for when the boom hit. plus it will bring prices down when production out does demand.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I think its safe to say that a fair percentage of them will have found that shooting sports are a fun and safe hobby, (when done correctly,) and will continue to practice the sport.

Some will never actually use the guns, and just want them for the mythical protection they provide when gathering dust in a box under the bed. There will always be those people.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have been running into quite a few new gun owners. Especially women and the elderly. Keeping me busy on the range teaching them.

We run into this during every election. There is alot to take into consideration, especially if Obama gets re-elected. If he does, I think our country has a good chance of going down the tubes. People have lost respect for us due to his sissified ways. We are a powerhouse as a nation and he bows to others. Give me a freaking break.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I think ammo is going to be the battlelines. Honestly, thats the weakest point in our hobby, even though some of us reload, there are millions that do not and with the ammo already in short supply in places, i see if getting worse. I'm just buying my components, no new guns for me for a bit.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I have been running into quite a few new gun owners. Especially women and the elderly. Keeping me busy on the range teaching them.

We run into this during every election. There is alot to take into consideration, especially if Obama gets re-elected. If he does, I think our country has a good chance of going down the tubes. People have lost respect for us due to his sissified ways. We are a powerhouse as a nation and he bows to others. Give me a freaking break.

Agreed. I think his approval rating is REALLY low, though, so we may actually have a chance of canning his ass come election time.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    im saving my money until right before Christmas when all the doomsday preppers wake up "alive" and find outt heir house is being foreclosed on. tick tock. :popcorn:

dirtdigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    I think ammo is going to be the battlelines. Honestly, thats the weakest point in our hobby, even though some of us reload, there are millions that do not and with the ammo already in short supply in places, i see if getting worse. I'm just buying my components, no new guns for me for a bit.

Couldn't agree with this more. The guns always seem to be the focus.
    No ammo...no gun fun. The cost just keeps going up. I don't currently reload, mostly due to time constraint, but i'm considering it more and more.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I just bought some ammo yesterday, just a few boxes at a time. So far I have not experienced any ammo shortages, or gun shortages for that matter. I think the closer to Nov. we get, we will start to really see it, but as of right now I went to a wal-mart yesterday and they had plenty of all calibers.

Mellow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Harrison County
    As a new gun owner I feel qualified to chime in.
    I purchased my first handgun a little over 7 months ago and my second only 2 months later. My first purchase was a G19 Gen4 from Rick (inducky) at Falls City Firearms in Clarksville. and my second was a Walther P22 from Gunworld in Corydon.
    I love my G19. It's my first handgun, and Rick explained to me that it was his first gun on his ledger when he opened his shop. I've read enough on these forums to know that people regret getting rid of certain guns and I think this Glock will collect sentimental dust when I decide to carry something different. As for the P22, it's out of here after I buy an AR-15, and as soon as I find a Ruger SR22 to replace it.
    I enjoy shooting targets paper and metal, and I try to go to the range at least every other week. I don't stockpile ammo. I keep what I need on hand; 100rnds of FMJ, 50 rnds personal protection JHP, and a large box of .22lr mostly. Just this last weekend when I went to my usual shop to buy some more FMJ 9mm ammo for plinking I found their shelves empty and I was a little cranky at you guys over buying it all up. I had to go someplace out of my way and pay 20% more for a lesser quality brand.
    This isn't going to make me stockpile massive quantities, but I may buy an extra box or 2 of 'my brand' FMJ to keep on hand for when my usual shop is out of stock.

Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    I have been selling guns for 7 years and I would agree that there was a large influx of new shooters after 2008. Now during that time the guys and gals who already had guns just bought more and the supply started to trickle in.

Now with ammo most guys I work with have very little on hand and think having 1k of anything is a lot. That also goes for most people, not all of course, as new folks usually buy a box or two with their purchase and dont see the need to invest dollars into ammo that may just sit there forever.

What would worry me if I was a small time gun shop would be this influx of buyers over the last couple years and how that will play out in the coming years when no ban, no end of world, and no zombies show up. The market will become depressed with an abundance of used, hardly used, firearms and nobody but the most dedicated shooters buying. Will that be enough to maintain business? Probably not is my best guess.

But for me if the market is flooded and prices come way down in the coming years, then I can grab a few of the items I have always wanted for rock bottom prices!!

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    As a new gun owner I feel qualified to chime in.
    I purchased my first handgun a little over 7 months ago and my second only 2 months later. My first purchase was a G19 Gen4 from Rick (inducky) at Falls City Firearms in Clarksville. and my second was a Walther P22 from Gunworld in Corydon.
    I love my G19. It's my first handgun, and Rick explained to me that it was his first gun on his ledger when he opened his shop. I've read enough on these forums to know that people regret getting rid of certain guns and I think this Glock will collect sentimental dust when I decide to carry something different. As for the P22, it's out of here after I buy an AR-15, and as soon as I find a Ruger SR22 to replace it.
    I enjoy shooting targets paper and metal, and I try to go to the range at least every other week. I don't stockpile ammo. I keep what I need on hand; 100rnds of FMJ, 50 rnds personal protection JHP, and a large box of .22lr mostly. Just this last weekend when I went to my usual shop to buy some more FMJ 9mm ammo for plinking I found their shelves empty and I was a little cranky at you guys over buying it all up. I had to go someplace out of my way and pay 20% more for a lesser quality brand.
    This isn't going to make me stockpile massive quantities, but I may buy an extra box or 2 of 'my brand' FMJ to keep on hand for when my usual shop is out of stock.

There are many online ammo sources that you could order from too...I use ammunitiontogo.com all the time.

I'm not trying to tell you how to stockpile or how many rounds you should have on hand...just wanting to let you know how easy it is to order ammo online and the prices are pretty good across a pretty large spectrum of brands and types of rounds.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Now with ammo most guys I work with have very little on hand and think having 1k of anything is a lot.
    1,000 rds. on hand of any caliber you shoot should be the minimum. As I read someone else say, "when I get down to 1,000 rds. I consider myself out of ammo."

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I am putting together a complete reloading set up for the calibers that I use most first. !000 rounds of each . I will learn how to reload this fall and winter .

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    1,000 rds. on hand of any caliber you shoot should be the minimum. As I read someone else say, "when I get down to 1,000 rds. I consider myself out of ammo."

Completely agree, I shoot more than that a month so I feel naked when things get near that low. Ammo is creeping up $15-25 per 1,000 rounds all over the web in the last few months, and that's if you can find it in stock.

I also try to keep about 500 rounds of speer 124gr +p GD & Federal 5.56 T3 & another 500-1k of fed xm193 at all times. Like everyone else I've been stock piling just incase, and made a commitment to step up my shooting. It's something you definitely have to budget for and commit to.

Last edited:

tolle house

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    South Indy
    there are to many cheap guns on the market. Its like trading cards for the collector these cheap guns will be a dime a dozen but the older more collectible items will always be of interest.

Top Bottom