• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I, sadly, started in firearms right before prices started to spike. That being said, what is a "normal" price for .22 and 9mm luger ammo? I know that .22 is finally getting below $0.10 a round and that 9 is running around $0.20/round. Are these good prices? Still too high? What should I be looking for?

Thanks!

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    Bulk 22 ammo can still be had around 5 cents per round. However you have to find a retailer that is not price gouging due to the "shortage", as well as find a place that has some in stock. Walmart and Midway USA are a couple of the few places that you can still get 22 ammo at regular prices if you are willing to wait for it. The shipping cost for buying ammo online can be a deal breaker at times.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Bulk 9mm brass FMJ was commonly 20 cents/rd pre-Sandy Hook, somewhat less at good sales. Bulk 22s were common at 4 cents/rd at that time.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Don't know about .22's but I have seen 9mm going for .17 cents per round.

Wow, I haven't seen any good 9mm going for that low of a price. Best I've seen for good brass cased 9mm is .20 cents per round, though it seems .22 - .24 is pretty common. If you're picking up in Walmart, you can find good deals on Perfecta ammo (~$11 per box of 50) or Federal Aluminum cased for (~$10 per 50).

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Wow, I haven't seen any good 9mm going for that low of a price. Best I've seen for good brass cased 9mm is .20 cents per round, though it seems .22 - .24 is pretty common. If you're picking up in Walmart, you can find good deals on Perfecta ammo (~$11 per box of 50) or Federal Aluminum cased for (~$10 per 50).

:+1: and at wallyworld you get taxed. Online for 200 a case is the best I can find!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    What people are seeing here is not really a matter of prices "going up". It is a classic case of the actual value (buying power) of the U.S. dollar circling the drain. If the Govt. and the Federal Reserve are allowed to simply print more money with nothing whatsoever to back it the end result is always the same - complete economic collapse. More and more countries today will not accept payment for debts in U. S. dollars - they will now accept only Eurodollars. We are in very serious trouble.

Last edited:

cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    What people are seeing here is not really a matter of prices "going up". It is a classic case of the actual value (buying power) of the U.S. dollar circling the drain. If the Govt. and the Federal Reserve are allowed to simply print more money with nothing whatsoever to back it the end result is always the same - complete economic collapse. More and more countries today will not accept payment for debts in U. S. dollars - they will now accept only Eurodollars. We are in very serious trouble.

Problem being that our currency is almost as viable at the Eurodollar. Seems our buying power is circling the drain in a sense but we aren't the only one.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Indeed. Money MUST be backed by something real and tangible. If it is not people will figure out pretty quickly that it is worthless in trade.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If i see brass 9mm at 9.99, thar is a buy for me. 11.99 if I feel my stock is low.

For .22lr 25$ for a 500 pack if low, 20$ otherwise

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Indeed. Money MUST be backed by something real and tangible. If it is not people will figure out pretty quickly that it is worthless in trade.

I have no reason to follow the Euro/dollar exchange. With that being said - my wife, daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter just traveled to Spain for vacation.

It cost my wife $580 US to get 500 Euros ! So much for the strength of the dollar. With the government printing presses running 24/7 due to the government's attempt to hold down inflation what we are now experiencing is certainly predictable. At a time in my life when I can loan money TO the bank, interest rates on deposits are laughably and depressingly low.

bulldogs42

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure there are plenty of us who may end up on the show "Hoarders". At least we're hoarding something that has value though. I took my wife to the gun range for the first time Saturday and she helped reduce some inventory, not to mention had a great time doing it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm almost as frustrated by the run-away printing of dollars by the Fed as I am the on-going dilemma with 22 rimfire ammo. Oddly enough, the reasoning behind both is somewhat similar. The Fed is making it incredibly cheap to borrow dollars, which is causing some folks to treat 22 ammo like a more valuable form of currency. Sadly, both policies are likely to fail in dramatic fashion.

Top Bottom