• ...and so much more!
  • EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Is it just me? (slight hijack)

At my LGS, and at a Surplus shack near Kokomo, USED AR- mags have DOUBLED in price in 2 months!! But for $1 more, @ Galveston, I get a NIB 20-rd mag -- metal or poly -- and as many as I want. Is this merely a local phenomenon? As for manuf/dealers fixing prices, it takes only the FIRST seller to drop his price a buck, and everyone comes to him to buy. Then the flood-gates open up at other places.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hey - aren't we all supposed to die of swine/bird flu as well?

And the world ends in Dec 2012 so this is all mute. Wouldn't be funny if the Aztec calendar just runs out in Dec 2012 because they didn't see a need to take it any further and the egg heads are pretty much assuming instead that means the world is going to end?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    A bit part of the ammo price surge is the metal price surge. Metals had a big run up in price against the dollar. The manufacturers aren't going to just absorb that cost. I've been buying 9mm for around $11/box of 50. Half of that is probably raw material cost.

:dunno::dunno::dunno:
    What am I missing? Since summer last year, I haven't seen much of a price decrease on products made of lead, copper and brass. What price surge since 2009-2010?
    400140_2948376602150_1643379412_2612978_2029513078_n.jpg

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    And the world ends in Dec 2012 so this is all mute. Wouldn't be funny if the Aztec calendar just runs out in Dec 2012 because they didn't see a need to take it any further and the egg heads are pretty much assuming instead that means the world is going to end?

I assumed they ran out of wall space or just got board it was 500 years in the future they had lots of time to come back to it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    :dunno::dunno::dunno:
    What am I missing? Since summer last year, I haven't seen much of a price decrease on products made of lead, copper and brass. What price surge since 2009-2010?
    400140_2948376602150_1643379412_2612978_2029513078_n.jpg

Looks like the graph shows metals doubling, or more, since Obama was inaugurated. What are you talking about, you just want to read from where you like?

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    And the world ends in Dec 2012 so this is all moo. Wouldn't be funny if the Aztec calendar just runs out in Dec 2012 because they didn't see a need to take it any further and the egg heads are pretty much assuming instead that means the world is going to end?
    Fixed that for you.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah, Vlad...what gives? According to the charts you posted, hasn't each of those metals doubled in the last 3 years, or so? I'm just askin'...maybe you should explain exactly what those charts are displaying?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I bought lots of ammo during the last shortage. It couldn't have been the manufacturers, for two reasons. One, it didn't go up all that much everywhere. I found out when my local Wal Mart got its shipments and showed up that morning every week. I had thousands of rounds of 9mm when everybody said they couldn't find any. Another is that if you manipulate the prices to go up, you have to get everyone to agree, including all the overseas manufacturers. Fat chance. AND if you manage to manipulate prices up, why in the world wouldn't increase production enough to keep the scarcity, but still make more sales? Doesn't make sense.

Nope, it was some of your local friendly gun shops who were raising prices, which I don't blame them for, btw. You can only distribute limited resources in a certain number of ways. One is first come, first served. Another is to limit how much a customer can buy. Another is to raise prices, which I think is most fair because it distributes the limited resource to those who need it or want it the most.

If I go to Home Depot to buy plywood before a hurricane hits, what good does it do me if they keep the same price, but limit me to two sheets when I have ten windows?

On the other hand, if they go first come, first served, same price, then someone will buy all their plywood and resell it at a premium. Better to raise prices to the point where people only buy what they truly need because it's too expensive to do otherwise.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I bought lots of ammo during the last shortage. It couldn't have been the manufacturers, for two reasons. One, it didn't go up all that much everywhere. I found out when my local Wal Mart got its shipments and showed up that morning every week. I had thousands of rounds of 9mm when everybody said they couldn't find any. Another is that if you manipulate the prices to go up, you have to get everyone to agree, including all the overseas manufacturers. Fat chance. AND if you manage to manipulate prices up, why in the world wouldn't increase production enough to keep the scarcity, but still make more sales? Doesn't make sense.

Nope, it was some of your local friendly gun shops who were raising prices, which I don't blame them for, btw. You can only distribute limited resources in a certain number of ways. One is first come, first served. Another is to limit how much a customer can buy. Another is to raise prices, which I think is most fair because it distributes the limited resource to those who need it or want it the most.

If I go to Home Depot to buy plywood before a hurricane hits, what good does it do me if they keep the same price, but limit me to two sheets when I have ten windows?

On the other hand, if they go first come, first served, same price, then someone will buy all their plywood and resell it at a premium. Better to raise prices to the point where people only buy what they truly need because it's too expensive to do otherwise.

Pish Posh!

After the last election Speer was running 3 full shifts for the first, and only time, in the history of their company. Primers were in short supply because ammunition manufacturers were buying them up as quickly as they were made. There was a genuine run on loaded ammunition AND components, causing a true scarcity. Limited supply coupled with greater demand means increased prices at each level. Not fiction...not (excessive) gouging. Anybody who was in the business at that time will tell ya how it really was, trying to find stuff to sell.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Looks like the graph shows metals doubling, or more, since Obama was inaugurated. What are you talking about, you just want to read from where you like?

I definitely do not disagree with the run up in price from 2009 through most of 2010. What else I see, and didn't make my point well enough, is the 2011 data being relatively flat and a step DOWN in price for the past 5 months.

The OP is about a price double now. We've suffered 2X to 3X price increases since 2009, but using raw material costs as an excuse when the prices have moved down in the last 5 months is what I am questioning.

Here's another twist on the lead graph. I chose a time span of 1 year. It's all a matter of how you look at it.
    429326_2952348021433_865292078_n.jpg

As for explanation of the graphs, broom_jm, London Metals Exchange reports these in US dollars per metric ton. So, the values on the y axis are $ settled per each 2204.6 lbs. So lead in the wholesale market now is about $1 per pound.

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I definitely do not disagree with the run up in price from 2009 through most of 2010. What else I see, and didn't make my point well enough, is the 2011 data being relatively flat and a step DOWN in price for the past 5 months.

The OP is about a price double now. We've suffered 2X to 3X price increases since 2009, but using raw material costs as an excuse when the prices have moved down in the last 5 months is what I am questioning.

The price for 9mm went from about $7 or $8 for 50 five years ago to double that then moved down to about $11 or $12 for 50 over the last year or so. Where is the price doubling now? I don't see it. If you're talking about the OP, we already decided that it was bunk. People forget that before 1986 9mm was going for $12 to $20 per box of 50.

Last edited:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    The price for 9mm went from about $7 or $8 for 50 five years ago to double that then moved down to about $11 or $12 for 50 over the last year or so. Where is the price doubling now? I don't see it. If you're talking about the OP, we already decided that it was bunk. People forget that before 1986 9mm was going for $12 to $20 per box of 50.
    Just a couple years ago 100 rounds of 9mm Winchester White Box was selling for $9.xx. It rose to $11.xx, and then $18.xx, and now sells for over $20.

Top Bottom