• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Okay, maybe it's a dumb question, but I'm curious.

My set up at home has a 9mm, a .380, a couple of .38 revolvers, a .22 target pistol, and some long guns.

I have been stocking up on 9mm, .380 and .22 ammo. Whenever I have a few extra bucks I buy a few boxes.

If there was a meltdown and new ammo became unavailable could you fire 9mm and .380 ammo through a .38 revolver? My first thought would be that the bullet is about the same size or slightly smaller and it has a lighter powder load than a .38+p cartridge, that the .38 revolver should be able to handle it. But I'm not nearly as wise or experienced as some of the longtime board members and wanted to ask.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There have been some revolvers with moon clips to hold ACP cases made. A friend has a 45 acp revolver from smith I think a model 25.

38 is not all that expensive and a 158 grain slug at 38 speed in not something most people would like to run into. good practice rounds also. If you look into true defensive ammo federal hydro-shok rounds.

DSC00244.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Remington 158 gr +P LSWCHP is a fairly cost effective defensive load for the .38 if your revolvers can handle +p.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Or learn to reload...reloaders will have ammo when the others are using sticks...

I have been saving all of my brass for several months, I probably have 1200-1500 9mm cases and 400-500 .380 cases. How much does it cost to get into reloading? Not the cheapest way to go, but something decent.

And I should have just tested my theory before I posted. After I saw the first response I just went and grabbed the .38, emptied it and tried to insert a 9mm round. AS I was told, it wouldn't even fit in the chamber. Forgive me the stupid question, I've been home sick with the strept since Sunday. Today is the first day I have felt human in 4 days.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I would suggest starting with the .38 . It's simpler to load rimmed cases and you don't have to worry about feeding/odd shape bullets. Lee sells a complete kit for under
    $100 that is fine for a beginner; get thier book... read the book!!!
    A monkey can learn to reload[I did] but you need to know how. Don't go buy a fancy
    progressive unit till you've run the 1 stroker for a while and can recognize when there's
    a problem or you've made a mistake. A empty cartrige for example... primer ,bullet
    but no powder. You can avoid this by putting all cases in a loading block and visually check ing them between powder and bullet steps. I can't teach you all of it here, read
    the book!!!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... If there was a meltdown and new ammo became unavailable ...

If this actually happens, you will only have the ammunition you have previously stocked (complete and/or components), or what you can scrounge after the fact (complete and/or components).

Stocking tends to favor a narrow and deep strategy - like say, one standardizes on 9mm and .22lr firearms and stocks a boat load of ammunition.

Scrounging tends to favor a broad strategy such that you have enough various firearms that you'll probably have something that can chamber whatever ammo you happen to be able to scrounge.

Stocking is cheaper and your stocks are immediately available suggesting this is where many folks should start. Probably the best for shorter term situations.

Scrounging is slower and requires a broad array of firearms (expensive) suggesting that folks might not want to move on to this until their standard firearms battery is adequately stocked. Becomes more likely to be necessary as a situation becomes more protracted.

The narrow/deep vs. broad/shallow strategies are debated.

:twocents:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I would suggest starting with the .38 . It's simpler to load rimmed cases and you don't have to worry about feeding/odd shape bullets. Lee sells a complete kit for under
    $100 that is fine for a beginner; get thier book... read the book!!!
    A monkey can learn to reload[I did] but you need to know how. Don't go buy a fancy
    progressive unit till you've run the 1 stroker for a while and can recognize when there's
    a problem or you've made a mistake. A empty cartrige for example... primer ,bullet
    but no powder. You can avoid this by putting all cases in a loading block and visually check ing them between powder and bullet steps. I can't teach you all of it here, read
    the book!!!

Thanks Iroquois, I'm going to get the stuff and give this a try. I might just wait to see if I can get everything I need at the upcoming Indy 1500. And I understand what your saying "READ THE BOOK"!!!!!!
    Also, my brother-in-law had a nice reloading set up and did it for years. He's two hours away, but maybe I'll drive up and visit and see if he could stand by while I try everything out.

Top Bottom