Ammo recommendations for a MK II 22lr on groundhogs past 100 yards.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The Gun:I've got one of the typical Savage Mark II FV-SR's that you see all over the internet setting in a boyd's tacticool stock. My scope is a Vortex Crossfire 6-18x and aside from the cosmetic stuff the gun is just like any other MK II FV-SR. It's boringly accurate and incredibly fun to shoot. Last time with it out to the range I was hitting steel at 200 yards using federal bulk ammo. Normally I use wolf match ammo when I get serious but for just plinking around I dip into a seemingly never ending supply of federal bulk 22lr.

The Varmint:
    In my life I have had an evil villan who has plagued my happy little world and he is a groundhog. For whatever reason I have looked upon these little dirty bast*&^S as the bane of my existence and I intend to keep my property free of them. That's where my little MK II 22lr comes into play.

The Challenge:
    Any idiot could go back there with 223 or 308 and vaporize the little boogers with a single and easy shot. To be honest it doesn't really impress me to hit a groundhog with a big boy varmint rifle. In order to make it a challenge and in the spirit of giving the little shizzles a fighting chance I have decided to make this a 22lr only shoot. Here's where it gets interesting, the groundhog stays at least 100 yards out from the patio. I have distance markers out there out to 200 yards. I think if he gets within the 100 to 200 yards range he has entered a kill zone and will be dealt with accordingly.

The Question:
    So here's the rub, what ammo? I need to make a precise hit on a small/medium sized groundhog at over 100 yards with a 22lr. Do I run with subsonic match ammo that'll be more accurate but have less energy? Do I run with some high speed destroyer of flesh like the CCI Stinger that's more speed, and less accurate? Do I just say the heck with getting too detailed on the ammo and just keep running the federal bulk that shoots accurate enough and probably has enough energy, but will likely require some kind of a lucky shot?

I know I'm not the only guy in the world who's dealt with this issue, so instead of reinventing the wheel I thought I'd run it past a few forums. I'm curious what you all would do in this situatation. Thanks in advance.

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Hey teddy,
    I'm using SK HV hollow points. Very accurate from my Green Mountain barrel equipped 10/22 @ 50 m. Can't say beyond that range.
    Good luck
    Packard

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Every rifle will be picky on what it eats for accuracy. Personally just about all my 22s love the Aguila target match or cci match grade ammo.

On a calm day, I'm sure you could get the little 22 to hit....

Heck id even be interested to come out and play.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Get a SGB tool and use it on your most accurate high velocity round. The wider meplat will help transfer more of your energy to the target. Another alternative would be to search for some CCI SGB bullets which were so good they stopped making them.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Standard 40 gr federal solid lead 210 in 50 rd boxat walmart they are marked 210b
    My son put one in a ground hogs head with his cz452 at 100 yds , standing leaning off a post.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I would be leary of taking a 100 yard shot at any type of game with a .22 unless it was a Mag. At 100 yards +, the .22 looses a lot of steam and I want to make sure I take the animal cleanly and quickly. Hated or not, it shouldn't suffer.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I would be leary of taking a 100 yard shot at any type of game with a .22 unless it was a Mag. At 100 yards +, the .22 looses a lot of steam and I want to make sure I take the animal cleanly and quickly. Hated or not, it shouldn't suffer.

I agree completely, that's why I'm not taking any shot outside of 200 yards for sure, and likely not 150+. A 22lr is not limited to a 50 yard shot and still has plenty of energy to poke through soft gorundhogs, break shoulders and blow up its heart within range. Rest assured that I won't be careless pulling the trigger. I genuinely appreciate the concern and it speaks highly of you to mention it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I can easily and cosistently make hits on clay birds at 150yrds with my bull 10-22 shooting Federal bulk. At this point in time I would shoot whatever you are willing to part with. I also have a MKIII hunter and it is dead nuts with Federal also. Mini Mags are a nice round and would be a happy medium between the Stingers and the Federals.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I agree completely, that's why I'm not taking any shot outside of 200 yards for sure, and likely not 150+. A 22lr is not limited to a 50 yard shot and still has plenty of energy to poke through soft gorundhogs, break shoulders and blow up its heart within range. Rest assured that I won't be careless pulling the trigger. I genuinely appreciate the concern and it speaks highly of you to mention it.

I was just shooting federal bulk at a hundred yrds. It was easily putting clean holes through a solid 2x4. Still hitting steel hard at 150. I wouldnt want to get hit with it!

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    You could make some homemade ballistic gelatin, put it out 100 yards and try a few shots with different cartridges to confirm your best options. That might make for an interesting range report.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    For a humane kill,your target would have to be the brain.How far away can you CONSISTANTLY hit a golf ball ?

Ejohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Dublin, IN
    I had the same problem with those critters at my old place in Michigan. I was taking them out monthly using my Marlin .22 rifle, 4x scope and Federal Lightning ammo. My longest was about 110yds. I had to aim at the top of his head but I hit him dead on. At 100yds or less, you don't really need a hi-powered rifle, although I'm not knocking those who do. I too love the challenge of shooting a .22lr. I used to rabbit hunt with my Marlin!!

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I'd favor Velocitors over the Stingers for longer shots. The 40 grain bullet of the Velocitor will have more energy and probably more velocity at 100 yards and beyond than will the 32 grain stinger.

Plus, the Velocitor is the most accurate non-target grade ammo I've tried in my rifle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well guys I think I need to try out some velocitors among other ammo in this rig. In this day that's easier said than done and maybe I'll have to wait until fall to try that ammo because of availability, but eventually I'll try it out.

Top Bottom