• ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Buy "cheap", stack deep.

If you're looking for cheapie bulk ammo you might be waiting for a while...but I've gotten about 3000 rounds of 22LR thus far in 2014 (CCI AR Tactical, CCI SV, Fed Automatch) and could have picked up a fair bit more but left it on the shelves for others in more dire need.

I'm curious if I'll see that backorder for a case of CCI Mini-Mags from Midway before the end of the year.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'll believe it when I can get a brick of 22LR for $20. Been more than a couple years since I saw that. Having said that, I have recently found 9mm reasonably easy at not a too bad price.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    According to this article, the bubble is about to pop:

The Coming Crash in Ammunition Prices | The Truth About Guns

Boy, I hope they're right!

If the history of free-market economies and supply/demand surges tells us anything, it's that the larger a bubble gets, the harder it pops. I am already on record as stating that we will see a time in the future when 22 rimfire ammo is given away, with the purchase of a gun that shoots it...because they won't be able to sell it to hardly anyone. I have also predicted that there will be some amazing stashes of ammo found in estate sells over the next 20 years, much of which was purchased at inflated prices over the last 3-4 years.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    I've got to agree with 9mmfan. I'll believe it when I see 22LR on the shelf for less than $25/brick. Haven't seen 22 on the shelves in 2 years and I've been hearing the bubble is going to pop for over a year now. I travel, so I don't have the ability to hang out at 11:00 pm with the gougers at my local Wal-Mart when the truck arrives. While I would love to believe that ammo is gonna get cheap and available, another side of me says "no". Personally, I don't think there's a bubble. Too many new shooters and paranoid people that stockpile. To top it off, if Hillary gets in (and I believe she will), things will get even more interesting.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    jss1956 said:
    Too many new shooters and paranoid people that stockpile. To top it off, if Hillary gets in (and I believe she will), things will get even more interesting.

Your second sentence is supported by the last four words of the first sentence.

Roan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Franklin
    My friend went to Rural King in Columbus yesterday and they apparently told him they get .22LR almost everyday. Don't know why that store would get it a lot but other stores rarely get any in. I just got my first 22 last year so don't really know what a good price for .22LR ammo even is.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Wait, lots of folks grumbling about the lack of available .22 LR, but anyone who stocked up before the price-gouging began is 'paranoid'? LOL... :scratch:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I expect ammo prices to be raised across the board soon (maybe next month in July), totally independent of supply and demand. Costs to produce ammo are increasing, so the manufacturer's have to pass that cost on. Ammo seems to have gone up permanently every summer for quite a few years now.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Ammo deals are a lot more abundant and even seeing a lot more. Even hearing of an overstock situation nation wide. It's getting better unless the POTUS tries something stupid but that's political suicide.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    With the EPA shutting down lead smelting plants I don't see how the limitations on available materials and ultimately costs are going to let up as long as we have President Barry in office and likely Hillary behind him.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    From personal experience it's the price of everything else going up that is putting the bite on buying ammo. Bullets are more available but the price of food and gas just keep going up. That's my opinion on why the shelves are filling back up. Osama's economic policies are choking off the free cash we have for shoot'in entertainment. Add to that the hoarders and gougers are going broke also. So ammo starts showing back up the shelves. My hope is that the congress and senate election this year goes in our favor and not Osama's.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lots of speculation and opinions so far. I can say this much for a fact, I can find more ammo available in more calibers at lower prices now than I could 1, 2, or 3 months ago. It's been a slow recovery and I can't wait until the day when I see bricks of 22lr on the shelf at Walmart for $25 or less. After the last round of panic buying we had after the '08 elections I stocked up on ammo when I saw it available and I never took the last box, always leaving plenty on the shelf for others. I'll be buying ammo like that again when those conditions come back.

It's not paranoid to buy ammo when it's plentiful and cheap, anymore than it's crazy to buy stock in a business when it's cheaper.

This same discussion could also relate to magazines. Just this last week I saw that DSG was having their 10 packs of Pmags sale for $80. That's an incredible deal, but if you mention that you bought pmags for $8 each and bought more than you needed when the prices are inflated to $100 each then people act like you robbed them or did them wrong somehow and all you had done was buy wisely. When 22lr ammo becomes cheap and plentiful, I plan on being a smart consumer and buying it.

Top Bottom