• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Over the past coue years, I have built up a nice stash of ammo in case the SHTF. Mostly, due to budget, I buy whatever is the least expensive basic ball ammo I can find (Tula, Blazer, PMC, etc). Picked up a bulk pack of 9mm and .45ACP on sale today and it got me thinking....

Would you rather have a large stash of basic ball ammo or a smaller stash of JHP/defensive ammo? And why?

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I would think that if SHTF is the reason I would think the ammo that you could get the most of would be the direction. Just make sure that the ammo feeds through your weapons.

chinook

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    I used to try to buy 4:1 (target to defense) but that was unsustainable. Now its about 10:1. I always shoot a few jhp at the range, too.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I would go for copious amounts of ball ammo versus a smaller stash of JHP/HP ammo. In a SHTF scenario, any type of ammunition will serve as "defensive" ammo. Large stash = long term, in most cases.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Gotta go with the other INGOers here. Buy what you can afford, but what also runs best in your firearm. That may or may not be a particular species of ball ammo.

As I think most everyone is aware, some ammo out there is 'questionable', at least in some firearms. So buy what works best in YOUR firearms, even if that means some fewer rounds of 'higher quality' ball (or defensive) ammo. Afterall, if it doesn't run in YOUR firearms, at best it might be usable as a barter item, but that's not gonna work if you need to defend yourself (god forbid) in a combat scenario.

Ball ammo, for years WAS 'defensive ammo', and it sure can still be used as such. Ball ammo (almost) always functions in (virtually) any auto. So, it's almost a guaranteed round for any auto (semi or full).

'Defensive' ammo is great, and (usually) provides superior ballistics capability. But, I think most folks would prefer to have full mags of ball available rather than half-full mags of defensive ammo, everything else being equal.

As much as possible, always buy 'quality' ammo, whatever that means for your firearms.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have chosen ball ammo for my shtf storage. It should be noted that one of my definitions of "shtf" is me not being able to get more range ammo (shortages, panics, lack of funds to buy ammo, etc), so I pile up ammo specifically to feed my range practice.

Top Bottom