• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    I’m sure this has been a topic here before but I’ve searched and haven’t found anything.
    Space is tight in our current living setup and need to make room in the next coming months has we have a baby on the way.
    My question is has anyone stored ammo in an outside storage locker or barn ? All mine are in ammo cans with tight seals and will be fitting as many silicon moisture packs as I can in each and thinking about putting them in a tact box with large moisture packs on top . Wouldn’t need to do it until next spring but wanting some input to start planning.
    Thanks in advanced for your answers

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    For years most of my ammo was stored in an uninsulated garage. Some in cheap plastic shoebox sized boxes, most simply stacked on a shelf in the factory packaging. Now I would not recommend that but I NEVER had an issue with the ammo. If it's in ammo cans I would think there would be no problem.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I’m sure this has been a topic here before but I’ve searched and haven’t found anything.
    Space is tight in our current living setup and need to make room in the next coming months has we have a baby on the way.
    My question is has anyone stored ammo in an outside storage locker or barn ? All mine are in ammo cans with tight seals and will be fitting as many silicon moisture packs as I can in each and thinking about putting them in a tact box with large moisture packs on top . Wouldn’t need to do it until next spring but wanting some input to start planning.
    Thanks in advanced for your answers
    Guessing your in Indiana? I have stored Ammo in a Barn in a ammo can inside a safe an old cooler. Has gone bang every time. As long as it’s kept dry you should be good to go.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Ditto to what everyone else has said, should be fine for a few years with the moisture control you described.
    The Vacplus desiccant brand is a good cheaper alternative to DampRid and other major name brands

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I would think if the moisture is controlled it shouldn't be an issue for a very long time. I hear stories about old ammo (50+ years) being used without an issue as long as it isn't corroded.

Over 50+ years, what are the odds of it being stored in a climate controlled environment the whole time through multiple owners?

edit; If stored in a cooler it would also reduce the temperature change spikes.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    At our first house, I stored ammo in ammo cans in an unheated shop. Next house, had a small ammo cabinet in the garage and the rest was in ammo cans, placed on a shelf in the crawl space. The crawl space maintained a steady temp year round.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    As others have said, it will be fine.
    Try not to store the cans in direct sunlight from windows. That will help with temperature variation.

Top Bottom