• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jet19912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2016
    Fishers
    I've heard from a few sources that ammunition has a shelf life, but I was curious if perhaps vacuum sealing ammo in a food saver could extend the shelf life exponentially. Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Keep it in a cool dry place and it will last a long, long time. I shot some Turkish Mauser ammo (8x57) the other day stamped 1938. no problems at all.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm shooting 1931 Kynoch .303. Temperature swings and moisture are the enemy so garages and out buildings aren't recommended. All of my ammo is in a closet and if left there would probably still be good for another century.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Reading these other dates my 1952 9mm Spanish stuff seems new. :)

As stated above, with proper storage, as in cool and dry, ammo could out live you.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have shot .45 ACP ammo from WW I (1918 head stamp) that went off like the day that it was made.
    Stable environmental storage conditions are they key, as previously stated.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I recently found 9mm in my garage that I made before we moved here. That makes it 17+ years old. This is really new, by comparison, next to the previous posts. Now consider that they are reloads that are made with virtually no quality controls like humidity on the day of assembly, no primer seal, and they have been in the garage with no temperature control for that many years. They shot like I just made them.

I have to believe that factory, and especially military, ammo has a virtually unlimited shelf life.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If the cases aren't corroded through it is probably OK, then again if zombies are coming at you just use it.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I think the shelf life is 1 year on ammo. So if you have any older than that, contact me and I will pick it up and destroy it for you. If properly stored, it will last longer than any of us.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The military stores it in ammo cans in non-climate controlled bunkers in some of the worst weather conditions in the world. Their ammo seems to work.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I shot some 22 last year that I found stored in a box in my garage. It was a box of 50 and the price tag on it read $0.36 and it was fine. I figure it had to be close to 40 years old.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I just bought a hundred rounds of early hornady .44 magnum from an estate auction. Shoots like the day it was made. Found a baby food jar of .22 shorts my old man had around critter control. Had "Remington Kleenbore" scrawled on it in grease pencil if that tells you anything. Stuff still goes bang every time. Btw who else had a dad that stored everything in old jars?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I find Whitman's chocolate boxes to be more space effective than jars, and the heavy cardboard holds up well. I've been using the same ones for five years now for whatever I need them for.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I just bought a hundred rounds of early hornady .44 magnum from an estate auction. Shoots like the day it was made. Found a baby food jar of .22 shorts my old man had around critter control. Had "Remington Kleenbore" scrawled on it in grease pencil if that tells you anything. Stuff still goes bang every time. Btw who else had a dad that stored everything in old jars?

my dad made spinning rack of baby food jars. Was a pretty good idea for storing little things.

Top Bottom