• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Everyone needs to check out The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing They show how exotic ammo such as Glasier, extreme shock, and shot shells are poor performers. I know this will come as a shock to people but the top perfromers in penetration and expansion are federal, speer and winchester. The guys who run the sight do numerous tests with different weapons and ammo loads. Along with several barrier tests too. Please stick with the tired and true ammo performers with a proven track record.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Speer Gold Dot is the way to go. I'd be careful carrying those CCI Shotshells in a defensive roll....No, actually I'd not do it at all. They are often times not hot enough to reliably cycle the action in an auto and thus they could get you in a tough spot. I'm not a fan of the mix and match stuff in my carry gun. One load will suffice because if it comes down to you having to use it, having to think or decide which type of mag/ammo to reach for could cost you the precious seconds that could save your life. One ammo type works for me, and I only carry whats in the gun usually or maybe one refill. That ammo stuff can be heavy!

Well, I would rather have too much than too little. I have been in many combat situations (A Marine Sgt) and I have seen 1 type of ammunition just doesn't cut it. I had no problems with 32 straight rounds through. I filled up 2 16 rd mags, no misfires, no failures.

And I don't waste time, I react. Yeah, over 30lbs just in ammunition is what I am used to carrying.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Also, I'd like to point out that you should be vary wary of any test of ammunition you see on TV, especially Mythbusters. I'd also like to correct you on this: I propose that those are no more "deadly" than any other similar load. What you have to keep in mind is that when you connect with your target, shot placement is king and the Glasers (or anything else) are not going to turn your target into pink dust with a solid hit to the pinky finger. Don't be fooled by marketing and hype. Carry what works reliably in your gun. Any premium defense ammo will do just fine. I'm not saying that one is better than another, just pick one and test it thoroughly (to the tune of at least 100 rounds). As for the FMJ, a lot of it is carried every day by CCers. I agree with you about the overpenetration issue, but that is only an issue if you can guarantee that every single one of your shots will connect with your target. If you miss and hit someone else, be it with an FMJ or JHP, the results will be the same. A miss is far more likely than an overpenetration.

There are a lot of these types of discussions all over teh interwebs, mostly by keyboard commandos, over this load versus that load, overpenetration, which is more 'deadly' etc...ad nauseum. I'd suggest that you take the time that would be potentially wasted in this debate and invest it in training. The reward from that endeavor would be worth the time invested.

I used to shoot 249 Saws, 240G, and .50 Cals, even those won't turn your targets into pink mist. I understand only mortars/cannons will do that, but at the same time, I want the target to go down with 1-2 shots. And of course you can't uses some cheap ammo with failure rates that are unknown. I would try to shoot the ammunition before I use it. That way, I know I am comfortable with its performance.

And I won't miss. That's the thing, overpenetration is what most people carrying FMJ's should be worried about. Those are like armor piercing rounds compared to our 5.56 NATO rds in the Corps.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    what was so much better than the +p's?

The regular ones, specifically not the +P's. The reviews (and I take with a grain of salt) which were of 3 different sources all claimed that the +P were not any better than the regulars, in fact, a bit worse. Read them, the guys posted them on here...

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I carry the 124gr non +p HST. They've performed flawlessly for me and I'm happy with the expansion and performance.

Top Bottom