• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    1) Yes I know that this article was in the HuffPo
    2) And yes I know that there's a lot wrong with Mitt Romney
    3) And there's a lot wrong with all of the candidates (the Witch being worst of all)
    This author is proposing an interesting strategy that the more Centrist/Establishment folks may employ. It's interesting to be sure....
    Mitt Romney, A Nation Turns Its Lonely Eyes To You

I'm not asking if anyone here would vote for it.
    I'm curious a) if you think it would work (idea being get neither Trump nor Hillary) and b) if you think it will happen as a last ditch measure.

Grabbing the popcorn and oil, putting it in the kettle and awaiting the flames.... :D

For the record I'd hope we can discuss this from a _strategic_ point of view , and not turn it into " Trump vs Hillary vs. Screw You" etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Somebody else wrote about this scenario some weeks ago. I have no problem with it. The biggest problem I think I see is lack of a mandate the republican congress selected president would have. S/he would have to hit some home runs in that first year or year and a half because if s/he didn't, the republicans would probably find themselves in a significant minority when the midterm elections were over.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    In my mind the closet danger in this strategy would be that a person must ONLY appear on state ballots that you can win on. Reason being that if you split the vote in a bunch of states , then the Witch might actually win states that otherwise would be Red states. And that could prove problematic.

I do agree that if the person that the Republican House elected did not deliver - things would get ugly at the polls with the next election. But if Hillary gets in , it WILL be ugly and if Trump gets in it may well get ugly too.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I wouldn't vote for Mitt before, and I won't vote for him again.

Why on earth would republicans push forward a total loser like that, they already got to see how he performed, he blew it.

VQLpyMU.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In my mind the closet danger in this strategy would be that a person must ONLY appear on state ballots that you can win on. Reason being that if you split the vote in a bunch of states , then the Witch might actually win states that otherwise would be Red states. And that could prove problematic.

I do agree that if the person that the Republican House elected did not deliver - things would get ugly at the polls with the next election. But if Hillary gets in , it WILL be ugly and if Trump gets in it may well get ugly too.

Yeah, the write up I saw stated that the states in which the person would run had to be strategically selected and that makes sense. For one thing, you'd probably be short on money so that would force you to be prudent. And yeah, you'd want to select states that you could sway ever so slightly to keep either candidate from hitting 270 (??? I think that's right).

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Tombs - as I said , I'm putting this out as a mater of STRATEGY not Trump vs Witch vs Whoever...

Frankly, any of the candidates with ANY kind of broad recognition and relatively low negative numbers (and relatively low numbers of skeletons in the closet) could be employed in a similar strategy. Scott Walker would be another one that could easily be employed like this.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I wouldn't vote for Mitt before, and I won't vote for him again.

Why on earth would republicans push forward a total loser like that, they already got to see how he performed, he blew it.

VQLpyMU.jpg

Wait, Mitt Romney is pumping gas in Utah now? How the mighty have fallen. ;)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Tombs - as I said , I'm putting this out as a mater of STRATEGY not Trump vs Witch vs Whoever...

Frankly, any of the candidates with ANY kind of broad recognition and relatively low negative numbers (and relatively low numbers of skeletons in the closet) could be employed in a similar strategy. Scott Walker would be another one that could easily be employed like this.

There were 18 candidates, the people narrowed it down to 1 in a relative landslide with the highest voter turn out for any candidate in the party's history.

Your idea is to field a candidate people are luke warm to, who didn't attract voters the first time around, and has no chance of attracting them now. All the while, denying people the individual they voted for and they supported in record numbers.

This sounds more like a suicide note for the republican party than a strategy, granted they're sure enjoying shooting themselves in the foot this election. I'd rather they kept it on their foot and avoided their head.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    And for the record, if Gary Johnson simply had the huevos to win his home state of NM ??? That would go a long way towards this scenario....

Ahem, for the record, this is NOT my scenario, nor one that I necessarily support. Heck, it's published by the HuffPo - who I'm not exactly on friendly terms with.

I found it interesting , and one that has a remote chance of happening. That is all I have on it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    1) Yes I know that this article was in the HuffPo
    2) And yes I know that there's a lot wrong with Mitt Romney
    3) And there's a lot wrong with all of the candidates (the Witch being worst of all)
    This author is proposing an interesting strategy that the more Centrist/Establishment folks may employ. It's interesting to be sure....
    Mitt Romney, A Nation Turns Its Lonely Eyes To You

I'm not asking if anyone here would vote for it.
    I'm curious a) if you think it would work (idea being get neither Trump nor Hillary) and b) if you think it will happen as a last ditch measure.

Grabbing the popcorn and oil, putting it in the kettle and awaiting the flames.... :D

For the record I'd hope we can discuss this from a _strategic_ point of view , and not turn it into " Trump vs Hillary vs. Screw You" etc.

Depends on what you mean by 'work'. Remember Trump got slightly more than 2million more primary votes than Romney did in 2012. So while the strategy might 'work' as in successfully deprive Trump of the presidency, but to what purpose. Even if you could convince the house to install Mitt he would have no legitimacy and accomplish nothing. How is that better than a Trump worst case, or even as good?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Depends on what you mean by 'work'. Remember Trump got slightly more than 2million more primary votes than Romney did in 2012. So while the strategy might 'work' as in successfully deprive Trump of the presidency, but to what purpose. Even if you could convince the house to install Mitt he would have no legitimacy and accomplish nothing. How is that better than a Trump worst case, or even as good?

I agree with you here. I personally view Trump as bad and the Witch as a LOT worse. So a president that got nothing done (i.e. status quo ante) doesn't sound that bad.

That said, what you mention is, in my mind , the failing of this strategy. Lack of a mandate for the person elected.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    To strategically evaluate this proposal, you need only read the following paragraph of the article, and consider what it reveals about the writer's political motives:

"...While I admire Hillary Clinton’s lifelong commitment to children, fairness, and progressive politics in general..."

So we've established the writer has no beef with Hillary's policies - only her persona.

Now, what do you think angry Republican voters will do, when the House of Representatives flouts the wishes of Republican Primary voters in this manner, and installs Mitt The Loser in the most powerful seat in the World? I'll tell you exactly what they will do: they will assist the rest of the American Electorate in burning down the Republican House at the earliest possible opportunity (ie, the next mid-term), via a combination of non-participation and outright sabotage, delivering the most secure piece of GOP real estate into Democrat hands.

...just like the writer wants them to.

This proposal is not offered because the writer genuinely wants Mitt Romney as President. It's offered because the writer realizes GOP control of the House is the greatest barrier to Progressive policies, and this is the quickest way to get rid of the GOP's most intractable barrier to that type of change.

If you listen closely, Liberals will tell you precisely what they fear most on Planet Earth: it's President Trump, with a GOP-controlled House of Representatives taking orders from a previously unengaged, but newly-energized, Republican base. Never forget that.

This strategy gets rid of both elements of the Liberal Nightmare - and ushers in permanent Democrat control - in two years flat. Anyone politically right-of-center would have to be crazy to even consider it.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    You think the dems have the useful idiots stirred up right now? Steal the election from Hilary and see how things go in the cities (it is rightfully hers, she deserves it because shut up).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    To strategically evaluate this proposal, you need only read the following paragraph of the article, and consider what it reveals about the writer's political motives:

"...While I admire Hillary Clinton’s lifelong commitment to children, fairness, and progressive politics in general..."

So we've established the writer has no beef with Hillary's policies - only her persona.

Now, what do you think angry Republican voters will do, when the House of Representatives flouts the wishes of Republican Primary voters in this manner, and installs Mitt The Loser in the most powerful seat in the World? I'll tell you exactly what they will do: they will assist the rest of the American Electorate in burning down the Republican House at the earliest possible opportunity (ie, the next mid-term), via a combination of non-participation and outright sabotage, delivering the most secure piece of GOP real estate into Democrat hands.

...just like the writer wants them to.

This proposal is not offered because the writer genuinely wants Mitt Romney as President. It's offered because the writer realizes GOP control of the House is the greatest barrier to Progressive policies, and this is the quickest way to get rid of the GOP's most intractable barrier to that type of change.

If you listen closely, Liberals will tell you precisely what they fear most on Planet Earth: it's President Trump, with a GOP-controlled House of Representatives taking orders from a previously unengaged, but newly-energized, Republican base. Never forget that.

This strategy gets rid of both elements of the Liberal Nightmare - and ushers in permanent Democrat control - in two years flat. Anyone politically right-of-center would have to be crazy to even consider it.

Yep
    This is just another variation of what has come to be known as concern trolling.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yep
    This is just another variation of what has come to be known as concern trolling.

I had not heard the term, but it seems like a good one.

To the extent these people actually want Mitt Romney, what they really desire is George Bush Senior, over and over again: one-term Republicans who deliver both houses of Congress to the Democrats. (If they raise taxes in the process, even better).

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Mitt would be a terrible move for a variety of reasons.

The only (viable) way Trump doesn't get the nominations is if he doesn't want it. Only way he'll part with it is if he gets to pick the guy who will get it.

I don't think he'll pick Mitt. :D

If, by some stroke of self-righteous luck, the delegates turn their back on Trump, it'll truly be the end of the Republican party.

Top Bottom