And the NYPD is concerned with keeping guns out of citizen hands...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    NYPD Officer Accidentally Shoots Tourist - Officer.com

The cop’s gun accidentally fired — and the bullet went through Ortiz’s sofa mattress, then through the floorboard and down to the second-floor living room below.

And that ladies and gents is why you keep your finger outside the trigger guard until the gun is pointed at your target.

Sounds like the victim, walked away from it all
    The bullet grazed the tourist’s left forearm.
    Wounded but walking on her own, she was taken to Kings County Hospital.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    ADDITIONAL training??

From the article:

"Authorities said the 36-year-old cop whose gun discharged had never fired his weapon before."

:facepalm:

I don't even...

How do you work in a high-risk job where you have to carry a firearm on a daily basis, and never bother to train with it? Especially when we're talking about an officer who goes into potentially dangerous situations like drug raids?

31a9b2a1b2d1.gif

Hold on, while I was typing this NYPD released a file photo of the officer in question...

barneyfife.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that what should have been said was that the officer had never fired his weapon in the line of duty before.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that what should have been said was that the officer had never fired his weapon in the line of duty before.
    It also should have been said in the article that the shooting was negligent not accidental.

Which is an important distinction in a city where only criminals and cops are allowed to have guns. Because as an accident, the gun is inherently unsafe; as negligence it's the officer breaking at least two of the firearms handling rules that resulted in an injury. Should the issue of firearms being allowed in NYC come up, the latter doesn't blame the inanimate gun for the actions of humans.

As the only good guys with guns in NY, I really would like to see those officers be an exemplary standard of proper firearms handling, and a fair amount of competency (in reference to the Glock ban, on basis of a plastic gun going through metal detectors) so the concept of good guys having guns and using them appropriately and safely, isn't as far off as Bloomberg would like to make it.

Top Bottom