• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Back when I was laying tile it blew my mind how many "men" had nice houses and garages and didn't have a tool one anywhere .

I have plenty of hand-tools.

Just severely lacking in the knowledge on how to "do stuff", unfortunately.

You're blessed that you had someone who would teach you. Not all of us grow up that way.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Why are so many excited to see angies list fail and have the employees lose their jobs?

Publicly Traded Companies are bad, mmmkay?

A lot of contractors don't like them because they can't pay, or whine a lot, and have bad reviews yanked like they can other places. That, plus the ad sales guys get a ton of pressure to sell ads to more companies, and a lot of those guys can be pretty relentless in their efforts. They've burned a lot of bridges over the years, for sure.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Thanks for the thread, never heard of home Advisor before I have lots of projects around the house and will check them out. So far not thrilled about the companies I used on Angie's List

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    A lot of contractors don't like them because they can't pay, or whine a lot, and have bad reviews yanked like they can other places.

Contractors get mad because they can't buy a good grade and this makes you like angies list less? You know who doesn't like angies list? Contractors with something to hide.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Thanks for the thread, never heard of home Advisor before I have lots of projects around the house and will check them out. So far not thrilled about the companies I used on Angie's List

Home advisor is the rebrand of service magic

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Contractors get mad because they can't buy a good grade and this makes you like angies list less? You know who doesn't like angies list? Contractors with something to hide.

They changed their fundamental business model that nobody could "pay to play". Once they did that, they became just another PR firm for paying customers (contractors). Who do you trust more? Unsolicited consumer reviews of a business or the paid advertiser for said business?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have plenty of hand-tools.

Just severely lacking in the knowledge on how to "do stuff", unfortunately.

You're blessed that you had someone who would teach you. Not all of us grow up that way.
    I didn't either. Most of the stuff I do around the house, I figured out how to do myself or by getting others to show me. My dad was mechanically inept. He could cross thread a nut without even trying. I didn't have uncles or older brothers or family friends around that much either. You just have to start somewhere and acquire and build skills.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I remember the day that I realized that not all adult men owned and knew how to use a sliding, compound miter saw, or a table saw, or a torque wrench, or a pipe threader....it was a sad day.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Because the company chose to play stupid political games that intentionally harmed my state. They very publicly offered $50,000 relo packages to move their special-snowflake employees out of the allegedly hate-filled Indiana (because of it's federal-law-consistent RFRA), into any other state - including the other 29 or so that have the same RFRA laws. The move was hypocritical, politically expedient, and harmful to my state. Screw Angie's List.

Here, here!!!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've seen just as many men use a simple adjustable wrench incorrectly as I've seen used correctly.

I'll do you one better- it bothers me (a little) to see people use adjustable wrenches (except pipe wrenches). All nuts and bolts have a specific sizes as do wrenches. yeah, sometimes they're a good solution to a specific issue, but most times the proper size is the better choice...and always turn towards the movable jaw so it is pushed into the bolt head or nut with 3 point contact whenever possible.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I'll do you one better- it bothers me (a little) to see people use adjustable wrenches (except pipe wrenches). All nuts and bolts have a specific sizes as do wrenches. yeah, sometimes they're a good solution to a specific issue, but most times the proper size is the better choice...and always turn towards the movable jaw so it is pushed into the bolt head or nut with 3 point contact whenever possible.
    I hate to watch the guys that add an extension or pipe to the wrench handle to TIGHTEN a bolt. Overtightening can lead to fastening failure almost as much as undertightening.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I hate to watch the guys that add an extension or pipe to the wrench handle to TIGHTEN a bolt. Overtightening can lead to fastening failure almost as much as undertightening.

I have done that exactly once. To tighten the 32mm hub nut on my old Grand Am with had to go to something like 180 ft. lbs. I have to admit I own only one torque wrench and it is 10-80 ft. lbs., so O had to use the old calibrated bicep.

Now I'm ashamed.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I have done that exactly once. To tighten the 32mm hub nut on my old Grand Am with had to go to something like 180 ft. lbs. I have to admit I own only one torque wrench and it is 10-80 ft. lbs., so O had to use the old calibrated bicep.

Now I'm ashamed.
    There are ways to use the torque wrench you have to get to the higher torque. You can use an extension to lengthen the distance from the dial to the bolt. The torque reading on the dial will then be less than the actual torque on the bolt. It's a simple calculation to determine what the new reading needs to be.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There are ways to use the torque wrench you have to get to the higher torque. You can use an extension to lengthen the distance from the dial to the bolt. The torque reading on the dial will then be less than the actual torque on the bolt. It's a simple calculation to determine what the new reading needs to be.

Seems like better than the Grand Am deserved. :)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I work in a fabrication shop, I've seen new hires here who couldn't figure out how to hook or unhook an airtool and airline. I've seen new guys come in here that "allegedly" had "experience" in this field, who could not chuck a drill bit into a drill, or didn't know which direction a drill was supposed to turn to actually drill through material.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I have plenty of hand-tools. Just severely lacking in the knowledge on how to "do stuff", unfortunately. You're blessed that you had someone who would teach you. Not all of us grow up that way.
    Blessings had nothing to do with it , it was literally blood and sweat in an apprenticeship , you know , elbow grease .

Top Bottom