• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    For years I carried a S&W M37 Airweight in a Don Hume ankle holster. After going through 2 or 3 ankle holsters, I settled on the Hume as it has a "garter" that velcros just below your knee and supports the holster from dropping too low on your ankle. It takes a few days to get used to, but after that you forget you even have it. Note drawing from an ankle holster isn't nearly as fast as drawing from your belt or waist. I used it for a BUG or in warm times when I wanted to go armed and have noticeable bulge.

KobeBeefKatana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Westfield
    From my experience I have found revolvers to be more reliable IMO than a compact auto. Now that being said, I understand that there are probably some decent autos out there...but I would feel much more confident in having a wheel gun for a BUG. Once again just a personal choice.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    +++++++1 Revolvers rule. Always have. Always will. I built, tuned and competed with 1911s for enough years to know exactly how many things can make one stop working - and it's a long list. I shot 1911s and revolvers in competition and love them both. But when I go out I carry a revolver.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carry a .357 LCR on my ankle and have for several years now. The weight difference is negligible for carry, but makes it a bit softer to shoot and the .357 is built more robustly. I carry .38+P but like that I can use my spare ammo from my main revolver when I am carrying 2.

The main advantage of ankle carry IMO is ability to access it seated and seat belted in. Belt carry, particularly while wearing a suit jacket, is tougher to get to.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I carry an LCP in a Galco Ankle Lite holster on a daily basis. When I can't wear something bigger (and even sometimes when I can), this is always there. I wear cargos that are loose enough at the ankle that no one has any clue it's there. I'm right handed, so like said above, carry is on the inside of my left leg. The gun/holster needs to be turned around so that the bulk of the grip is behind your calf. It takes a little practice with being comfortable crossing your legs (well, it did for me, guys might not have that issue) and the draw is slower that a holster at the waist but it's nice to know I have something with me.

Top Bottom