• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I know that this is a big question on here, and I have been considering an AR purchase here in the near future.

I have it narrowed down to a couple of options...and wondered if anyone has input on either of these. This will be a paper puncher. May do some short range varmint hunting with it. This will not be a battle rifle....I dont plan on fighting any wars.

1) Plum Crazy lower, with a PSA upper.
    Its cheap that way, just not sure about reliability.

2) Colt LE6920
    More expensive, but Colt has built more AR's than any other company. The 6920 is the standard of which M-4gerys are built on.

Those are the 2 options I have in mind. I would like to keep it between 6-1200 bucks. I know there are some opinions....lets hear em.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    interesting choices.....but the colt without question.

i wouldnt mess with a plumcrazy lower except from maybe a .22 upper; plenty of pics out there of them going kaboom. if money is the issue and you want an M4, just buy the PSA M4 carbine rifle for $600

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Buying a Colt 6920 means you're buying the lightest equipped, high quality AR. But that also means that you'll have to upgrade everything if you're not satisfied with it just being light. So you'll spend a lot more for a lot less. Not that this is a bad thing (I own 6920LE), but it sure ends up costing a lot more than the $1,200 price tag.

My uncle just bought a Rock River Operator for $800 and it has excellent free float rails, a chrome bolt, upgraded butt stock, and flip up front sites. It shoots like a dream, and needed nothing but a scope and a sling. I'd recommend something like this, and that's what I'd buy if I had it to do all over again honestly.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Between those two the Colt without doubt would be the smarter buy, but there are other options as well. If you are going to spend between $600-$1200 for your rifle you should look at all the options.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    $1200?

And those are the ONLY 2 choices you want? I'd say a Colt then, but for the money there are better factory built rifles.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    $1200?

And those are the ONLY 2 choices you want? I'd say a Colt then, but for the money there are better factory built rifles.

Thats why I am asking for more options.....:dunno:

I really know nothing about AR's. I looked at the cheapest way i could build it, then found the colt for around 1000.

The things that I know are important to me are a 4 or 6 pos telescoping stock, and a quad rail which i know i can add later.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    $600 to $1,200? Plastic lower to Colt? That's a VERY broad range.

Of those two, I'd certainly say Colt.

In between? Daniel Defense, LMT, BCM, Spike's Tactical, PSA.

You have LOTS of options.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Colt 6920's can be found for around $950

I'd forget the PlumCrazy lower idea.......if you are looking at PSA uppers, get one of their lowers too.

chipperej

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Boone County Indiana
    I would suggest you consider a Stag Arms AR-15. You can get a Stag model 3 in Indy for $779.00. I have been quite satisfied with this rifle. Of course you might want to add some sights or optics, but that is the basic price with the rail system.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    IMO you cant buy a nice colt upper and put it on a cheap lower. That just doesnt seem right, save a little more money and go all out, or find a nice factory gun and use the other cash to upgrade it. Once you start on the AR platform, the accessories are endless. In my case, I bought one, then two, the next thing I know I have a safe full and only have two arms to shoot them. It addictive!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Get one of those Palmetto lowers and a Del Ton kit. Under 600, not including fees and shipping. From what I hear, you'll have a quality product at the end.

Or spend a little more and get one from Spike's. Colt without the cost.

If money were no object, I'd go with Larue for a couple grand.

Top Bottom