• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been fishing for over 30 years and had never even held a fly rod until last week. I asked a few questions of veteran fly fisherman but in the end, I just walked into Orvis with $300 and said, "I know nothing, get me set up."

They have free classes, which I took. They have great instructors. Within an hour, I'm casting 50+ feet, which is good enough for the ponds I'm fishing right now. I know it's not the cheapest way to do it, but I've learned through firearms experience that training and starting off with quality equipment is important and makes a big difference.

They had a decent deal going on (in my opinion): A Clearwater Rod (9ft 5w), Clearwater II reel, line, leader, case, a box of 15 or so panfish flies for under $300. As I've said, I'm sure I could go cheaper but 25 year warranty for something as delicate as a rod sold me. And I'm sure I'll want to upgrade the reel in the future but it suits my needs now perfectly.

5 min on the first pond I caught a couple of nice bluegill and it beat all the spin fishing I've done by a mile.

So, for now, I'm hooked, so to speak.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Fly fishing has always intrigued me, I've never been but it certainly seems like fun.

Stupid question, do you need to be in the water to fly fish, or can you cast from the bank?

I just went fishing for the first time in years yesterday, took my daughter for her first time. We didn't catch anything this time out, but it was a great practice for both of us.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I just went with an Orvis set up too. My wife just got that same set up. It is a great deal on a great piece of equipment. Just an FYI, you'll probably want to upgrade your rod before your reel. It is the opposite from spinning tackle, the rod is the most important for fly fishing. The reel is mainly just for holding line, unless you are fishing in salt water or going for steelhead, etc. In that case, you'll have to get an 8+ wt. rod anyway. Have fun, it's addicting.

No, you do not have to be in the water to fly fish. You can fish straight from the bank. Look into the Orvis classes, they're free (Fly fishing 101) and teach you the basics of the cast, equipment, etc. You'll also get coupons to use, if you decide to go the Orvis route.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I just went with an Orvis set up too. My wife just got that same set up. It is a great deal on a great piece of equipment. Just an FYI, you'll probably want to upgrade your rod before your reel. It is the opposite from spinning tackle, the rod is the most important for fly fishing. The reel is mainly just for holding line, unless you are fishing in salt water or going for steelhead, etc. In that case, you'll have to get an 8+ wt. rod anyway. Have fun, it's addicting.

No, you do not have to be in the water to fly fish. You can fish straight from the bank. Look into the Orvis classes, they're free (Fly fishing 101) and teach you the basics of the cast, equipment, etc. You'll also get coupons to use, if you decide to go the Orvis route.

Thanks for the tip, they're (orvis) on my way home, as is wildcat creek outfitters.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I've only fly-fished once since getting my set-up on Friday and that was from the bank of a small pond.

I was spin fishing last week in the White River and ended up just walking out there about knee deep just cause the water is so low, it's too shallow close to the bank. I don't have waders, just keen sandals and a pair of shorts on.

I think most people fish IN the water when fly fishing because if you are casting far, your back cast will be in danger of hitting trees, bushes, the shore, etc.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I've only fly-fished once since getting my set-up on Friday and that was from the bank of a small pond.

I was spin fishing last week in the White River and ended up just walking out there about knee deep just cause the water is so low, it's too shallow close to the bank. I don't have waders, just keen sandals and a pair of shorts on.

I think most people fish IN the water when fly fishing because if you are casting far, your back cast will be in danger of hitting trees, bushes, the shore, etc.

The roll cast is your friend.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFDPIn0L0Uw[/ame]

master this cast as you will find that it comes in handy very often.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana

Yeah, I realize that is inevitable. I'll have a 13 wt rod and a tibor saltwater reel before it's all said and done but this lighter weight allows me a lot of experience in the local creeks and ponds for a light entry fee. It's like learning to hunt with an 870 Express before moving up to the Purdy :)

I gotta tell ya--I do like the comfort of having a 25 year guarantee on a fishing rod! I've never had one last that long for me.

I also need to say that the staff that I've met at Orvis (Bud, Jason and the manager, Ben) have all been EXTREMELY helpful at every visit. They'll take the time to explain everything and no question is too dumb for them--believe me, I asked them all.

I was a bit intimidated from my preconceived notion of fly fishermen being snobs and speaking in real technical jargon about insects, flies and all that jazz. "Why, you see my good man, you'll just never catch the single breasted, cutthroat in full bloom if you can't double haul a vintage buttery-nipple!" Or some such nonsense. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Those guys are genuinely interested in showing people the fun of fly fishing.

I'll probably just stick to Orvis for everything right now. It seems a great place to start for me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've done a bit of fly fishing as well. Really enjoyable. A lot more work that a bobber and worm!

I do 90% of my fishing from shore. Just watch your back cast. The rest I do from a boat. I'm not much of a wader.

My father-in-law treated me to a guided float on the White River (up north, near Anderson) this summer (back when there was still water in the river). I learned TONS from the guide, and would highly recommend him (Jeff Conrad - Jeff Conrad ). A class is one thing, but a pro giving pointers while you fish all day is all-together different.

I've got a 6WT Orvis setup. Works well for the distances I fish, mid-wight flies I use, and local fish. My FIL has a slightly longer 7WT rod with 6WT line that can toss a 1 oz. fly into the next county.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County

I have just been going to a small pond so far as well. Keen's and shorts are going to be my outfit when I head out west in a few weeks.

The roll cast is your friend.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFDPIn0L0Uw

master this cast as you will find that it comes in handy very often.

I need to master this cast. I will be on a float boat out west, and I was told that this is the cast they use 90% of the time.

Yeah, I realize that is inevitable. I'll have a 13 wt rod and a tibor saltwater reel before it's all said and done but this lighter weight allows me a lot of experience in the local creeks and ponds for a light entry fee. It's like learning to hunt with an 870 Express before moving up to the Purdy :)

I gotta tell ya--I do like the comfort of having a 25 year guarantee on a fishing rod! I've never had one last that long for me.

I also need to say that the staff that I've met at Orvis (Bud, Jason and the manager, Ben) have all been EXTREMELY helpful at every visit. They'll take the time to explain everything and no question is too dumb for them--believe me, I asked them all.

I was a bit intimidated from my preconceived notion of fly fishermen being snobs and speaking in real technical jargon about insects, flies and all that jazz. "Why, you see my good man, you'll just never catch the single breasted, cutthroat in full bloom if you can't double haul a vintage buttery-nipple!" Or some such nonsense. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Those guys are genuinely interested in showing people the fun of fly fishing.

I'll probably just stick to Orvis for everything right now. It seems a great place to start for me.

That is my feeling as well. Orvis did us right. When they sold my brother in law his rod (he lives in MT), they said if he breaks it, they'll overnight one to him. Now that's service!

I think we need to get an INGO fly fishing meet and greet going...

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I have just been going to a small pond so far as well. Keen's and shorts are going to be my outfit when I head out west in a few weeks.

I need to master this cast. I will be on a float boat out west, and I was told that this is the cast they use 90% of the time.

That is my feeling as well. Orvis did us right. When they sold my brother in law his rod (he lives in MT), they said if he breaks it, they'll overnight one to him. Now that's service!

I think we need to get an INGO fly fishing meet and greet going...

I've waded in Colorado streams in this exact outfit. Those "in the know" call it wet wading. It worked very well but was a bit of an eye opener in that icy cold water when the water went above thigh depth.....:n00b:

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've waded in Colorado streams in this exact outfit. Those "in the know" call it wet wading. It worked very well but was a bit of an eye opener in that icy cold water when the water went above thigh depth.....:n00b:

Yea, I know it's going to be a little cold. I just can't justify spending the cash right now on some waders after what I just dropped on two new rod set-ups from Orvis. I'm sure I'll get some in the future, but for now, they're not in the budget.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Well, I called over to Orvis today, spoke to Ben for a while about getting into fly fishing, he recommended a Clearwater setup over the streamline, mostly due to bang for buck and warranty.

Then, on my way home from work I stopped over at wildcat creek in Zionsville and talked with Chad for a while. Great inventory and selection, really nice and knowledgeable guy. I'll be back there for sure.

I've not pulled the trigger on anything yet, but I'm getting ready to.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, I called over to Orvis today, spoke to Ben for a while about getting into fly fishing, he recommended a Clearwater setup over the streamline, mostly due to bang for buck and warranty.

Then, on my way home from work I stopped over at wildcat creek in Zionsville and talked with Chad for a while. Great inventory and selection, really nice and knowledgeable guy. I'll be back there for sure.

I've not pulled the trigger on anything yet, but I'm getting ready to.

You won't be disappointed. I've not been to Wildcat Creek, but have heard good things. As for the Clearwater, that's the outfit my wife went with, and it seems to be great. I think the extra cost over the Streamline is more than justified since the Clearwater has the 25 year warranty (I've heard that they give the warranty regardless of time). If you want to save an extra $50, take their class (101), and they give you a booklet of coupons. I bet if you tell them, and sign up for the class, they'll give you the discount. Plus, if you've never fly fished before, it will be a couple of hours well spent. Good luck on whatever you choose, and please let us know how it went.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom