Another Gun Control Hypothetical.... Which would you rather?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If you had to choose, which regulation would you rather?

• Total voters

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    With all the talk in the media about gun control, the left proposes many policies. Some focus on the "who" by restrictions and further regulation on who can own guns. (licensing, mental health checks, training, etc...). Other proposals focus on the "what" like assault weapons bans, mag capacity bans, etc...

So.... if you had to choose one option, and death wasn't an option, would you rather go through a more rigorous screening process personally, and then be allowed access to any firearms or would you choose bans on specific types of weapons and magazine capacity, but the current background check system be left as-is?

I'm in favor of neither, but was interested how it would break down if you were FORCED to pick one option or the other.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It's horsesh** to go through the paperwork involved for NFA items but I'm used to it now so I suppose further screening would be my choice. If I want something I want to be able to actually own it. Either outcome though would be a load of crap

I'm just waiting for the "hispanic/not hispanic" question on the 4473 to become "Islamic/not Islamic"

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    None of the above.

Both options are proven failures in preventing violence and casualties from it. I'm not going to support anything that decreases my innate right to self defense just to make some feel-good idealist feel "safer".

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Of the two, the one I have the most problems with is increasing the requirements to get firearms. Increases in the requirements inevitably lead to increased cost and inconvenience. This tactic has traditionally been used to keep guns away from the poor and minorities. For instance, with mental health checks, who do you think is going to pay for your mental health interview? The government? Nope, that is coming out of your pocket.

Another tactic that Chicago used until we dropped a bunch of our gun laws was to require registration but make sure that it could only be done at ONE police station (I think that it was the 35th St station) during the daytime hours, in person. If you are well off and have paid vacation/sick/personal days, you can easily take some time off of work and make a day of registering your firearms. If you do not have those benefits, you are weighing the cost between being unarmed and losing a who day's work.

Illinois has (IIRC) the highest training requirements for concealed carry (16 hours). Most training programs that I have seen cost about $250 for the course (I found a great deal and got mine for $100). Then add the $150 licensing fee, and you are out $400 + 30 rounds of ammo before you get your permit. John Lott has done research that has shown that when the price for concealed carry licensing drops there is an expected increase in applicants. What was not expected was that there was a disproportionate increase in minority and women applicants. Our rights will be stronger as we get a larger and more diverse part of the population to exercise and appreciate these same rights.

Also, increased requirements also wind up having a LEO's personal judgement slipped into the approval process. Think of it as the difference between "Shall Issue" and "May Issue" states. Remember that Martin Luther King Jr was denied a concealed carry permit based on the "personal judgement" of local law enforcement. This is why I worry about some kind of "interview" process. It is too easy for someone with their own political agenda to come in and obstruct the process for law abiding citizens.

These kind of laws always lead to the privileged few (those with the money and influence) being able to own/carry firearms legally, while the poor have to debate between being unarmed and violating the law. This is why, in super restricted NYC, guys like Sean Hannity, Robert De Niro, Howard Stern, and Donald Trump can easily get concealed carry permits, while it would be EXTREMELY difficult for a single mom from the Bronx who is working 2 jobs at minimum wage to even afford to legally register a firearm in the city (about $500, based on my research).

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    :bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

I can't believe that 9 folks even voted for further restrictions and compromise.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It's not that anyone's throwing support behind restrictions. It's just a hypothetical question about if you had to have something, which would you rather have. mcjon77 gave a reasoned response as to his concern over restricting people rather than things. No one is saying they're getting behind these proposals.:rolleyes:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I get what the OP is getting at, so I voted for further screening. We've seen both options play out in the NFA world vis-a-vis machineguns vs. suppressors. I know which choice is the better option if we're not to the point of popping pmags.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I get the OP's point. Which new compromise are you going to lay down for?

NONE! D*** IT! NO COMPROMISE!

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I want what ever the military has. And I mean all of it. I want to buy a abrams if I could afford it. I want rocket launchers and full auto. I want all the good stuff. Not another step back EVER. Forward.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Up to 16 now.

I;ve got a hypothetical for you, why don't those who are willing to suffer more infringements just turn in your firearns and joun Gersch Kuntsman in his safe place.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Even better, those of you willing give in, can just give your evil boomsticks to me... I've been jonesin for a Tavor, and if I got enough in trade I'm sure I could make it happen! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom