Another help me pick a new knife thread...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    In short I'm looking for a couple new knives... The first's main focus is for field dressing and processing deer, as well as utility. The second is just to have for a general utility use and not feel bad about beating it up... Unless you all offer up something that may be better fits, I'm thinking of going with a ESEE-3 and IZULA..... Thoughts, recommendations?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I can think of a dozen different knives that would better suit you. 1095 for field dressing and butchering, no way. You would rather have a steel that holds up better against rust. Perhaps something in Aus8, VG10, 154CM, 440C, or even S30V. But that 1095 will start to rust as soon as you get blood on it.

I would suggest something like a SOG NW Ranger, or perhaps CRKT Ultima, or a Benchmade. Something along those lines.

As far as your 2nd knife choice, is there something about the Izula that you really like, cause I could think of 100 different knives that have larger blades and are folding knives for that price. Spyderco Endura, Kershaw Blur, Spyderco Delica, Kershaw Skyline, Kershaw Leek, I could go on and on.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    The ESEE 3 and Izula are great choices for what your wanting, 1095 with ESEE's heat treat is very good steel. It will rust if not taken care of, just use them and the rust will not form!:D no really, just a little oil before you put them away and you'll be gtg :thumbsup:

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I can think of a dozen different knives that would better suit you. 1095 for field dressing and butchering, no way. You would rather have a steel that holds up better against rust. Perhaps something in Aus8, VG10, 154CM, 440C, or even S30V. But that 1095 will start to rust as soon as you get blood on it.

I would suggest something like a SOG NW Ranger, or perhaps CRKT Ultima, or a Benchmade. Something along those lines.

As far as your 2nd knife choice, is there something about the Izula that you really like, cause I could think of 100 different knives that have larger blades and are folding knives for that price. Spyderco Endura, Kershaw Blur, Spyderco Delica, Kershaw Skyline, Kershaw Leek, I could go on and on.

Weird I have no problems with rust when I use my ESEE 4 for field dressing. No problems with rust on my Izula 2 either for all my small game dressing and processing.

OP I say go with the ESEE combo if you like them. Great knives for the money and you can get them locally from Knifelady!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Busse Basic 4, Scrap Yard 311 or 511, Skeleton Warden (Busse), Swamp Warden (Swamp Rat), Scrapivor (Scrap Yard).

If you want micarta over resiprene handles, the new Busse Pork Shank is pretty handy.

Maybe also look at Michael Morris knives.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Dakrusier and Slimplmbr are right on the money with this. :yesway:
    I know plenty of guys who use an ESEE knife of their choice for hunting and field dressing and they have no issues. There is nothing WRONG with 1095 carbon steel for field dressing. Yes it will rust but take care of it and the knife will perform beautifully for you. You can bang the heck out of any ESEE knife and it will still perform nicely. :D

Stop by may tables at the 1500 and check them out.;)

The ESEE 3 with the orange G10 od green blade would be perfect for field dressing since the handles will clean up nicely. :yesway:

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I looked at a lot of knives today at the 1500 and ended up with an ESEE-5 from Brad's Knives and Knife Lady. Got a great knife and a great deal!

:rockwoot:

sajnaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    bfe rockville in
    take a look at a benchmade griptillian but it is my edc knife i like gut hooks on my field dressing knives i think some of the buck knives look decent all of my buck knives are very old so i can not speak for there new products

Top Bottom