• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Ok, so I have been looking at getting a knife sharpening system so I can sharpen my kitchen, fixed blades, and pocket knives. I know the Wicked edge system comes highly recommended, but I can't spend $250 bucks right now.
    I have looked at the Edge pro systems: US Hand Knife Sharpening Systems | Edge Pro System
    but I'm trying not to spend that much money. While looking around I have come across what seems like a cheaper version of the edge pro on Amazon: Amazon.com: AGPtek® Professional Kitchen Knife Sharpener System Fix-angle with 4 Stones: Kitchen & Dining
    I was curious if anyone has or has had a chance to try out this system, and if it was any good? Looks like it can take the edge pro stones, so it's upgradable. Is it a decent system? If not, what would you recommend?

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    You get what u pay for. I doubt a cheap Chinese copy will last as long as the edge pro. Look for a used system on blade forums or ebay. If no luck there I would get the spyderco sharpmaker over a (probably inferior) knock off.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I just can't justify a sharpening system. I'm no whiz, but to sharpen a knife is really only about maintaining the proper angle while pushing each side of a knife across a couple of stones. Start slow till you get the hang of it. Buy a couple of cheap Chicago knives to practice on. Once you get them where you want. Slightly dull them and do it again. Its really not that difficult. I'm pretty much a klutz mechanically and even I learned and can do it.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I still like sandpaper. A hell of a lot cheaper. Finding 1200+ grit sandpaper is tricky though, but it does a great job

If you're dead set on a system, the Lansky is a classic and not very expensive, I've also heard people like the Spyderco sharpmaker but I've never used one

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I still like sandpaper. A hell of a lot cheaper. Finding 1200+ grit sandpaper is tricky though, but it does a great job

If you're dead set on a system, the Lansky is a classic and not very expensive, I've also heard people like the Spyderco sharpmaker but I've never used one
    Walmart carries up to 3000 grit in the automotive section.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some tools really require some kind of guide or jig to sharpen them effectively beyond minor touch-ups. Chisels and chisel-ground knives come to mind. I tried to work on an old Benchmade Emerson by hand years ago and the results were not good.

Top Bottom