Another loser that knows nothing about...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    ...shooting. He is as ignorant as me and thinks that grip has nothing to do with accuracy either...

Go to 7:55 of the video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzyGdULmn98[/ame]

flame on, flame on

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i was in awe that one of these instructor types actually admitted he didnt have an answer to something. when talking about the .223/5.56 interchangeability he admitted to not knowing something, amazed.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I completely agree with him at 7:55, and so does Louis Awerbuck.

The human hand is a long stronger with these three fingers, than it is with a full fist. (thumb, index, middle)

That having been said, over squeezing with bottom fingers on wide bodied weapons like the Glock, will cause a shot with perfect trigger control to go to the left.

Louis Awerbuck - Marksmanship section of Analysis of the Survival Mindset

He goes on to say that the thumb and middle finger are the most important part of the strong hand. The left hand is basically along for the ride.

I've received the same instruction from local trainers who I trust.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Louis Awerbuck - Marksmanship section of Analysis of the Survival Mindset

He goes on to say that the thumb and middle finger are the most important part of the strong hand. The left hand is basically along for the ride.

I've received the same instruction from local trainers who I trust.

That's what I was taught too. Then I took classes from better instructors. Look up some of the pro shooters giving tips, they will all tell you 70-75% of your grip should be in your off hand. This allows your stron hand to be looser and focus solely on a smoothe trigger pull.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    who have you taken training with?

I'd like you to explain his ignorance so I can learn.

I haven't taken *formal* training, but I have done a bit of shooting in my time. I can hit my target with relative speed and accuracy.

Let's start a list from the first eight minutes (the first eight I could handle).

-your pinky (or grip for that matter) has no bearing on your shooting.

WHAT A CROCK OF BULL.

-accurizing = loss of reliabilty

Adding an updated bushing on a Smith 3rd gen. autoloader or 1911 style firearm has no bearing on reliability and improves accuracy.

-more reliable = less accurate

I think we've all seen that video of an old Mosin with a WWII era scope hitting a target 1,000 yards away. What's more reliable than a bolt action?

Now if you don't accept that example, I'll apply it to handguns:

Glocks. 'nuff said.

-If you give a woman a revolver, she should be insulted.

I happen to like revolvers, so I recommend a revolver to a woman if she is considering carry BECAUSE the women I know don't shoot like most men. They leave a gun loaded and don't pay attention to regular maintenance. A revolver is less picky than an autoloader.

-If a woman can't rack a slide, you should still give her an autoloader over a revolver so she has 16+ rounds instead of 5-6.

If she can't rack the slide, what good are those 16 rounds?

-a better trigger does not equal better shooting, training does.

This is slightly true, but it takes a lot more training to get a rough trigger down to where you know how it works versus a 3 pound trigger that resets the same way every time. More training = more ammo = money spent. Might as well get the smoothed out trigger to save money and make training easier.

So these are just the ones on the top of my head and if I watched the whole video I'm sure I'd catch a few more gems hidden in there. No disrespect to you but that guy doesn't really know what he is talking about.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Mosinguy, is it safe to assume that you read a LOT of gun mags and/or hang out, talking guns, a LOT?

(I don't mean this disrespectfully at all--I seriously want to know, it's part of some ongoing research I'm doing.)

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Mosinguy, is it safe to assume that you read a LOT of gun mags and/or hang out, talking guns, a LOT?

(I don't mean this disrespectfully at all--I seriously want to know, it's part of some ongoing research I'm doing.)

I sit on INGO and the Smith and Wesson forums reading about firearms. I do talk about firearms but I wouldn't say I do a lot. I'll read a gun magazine at the grocery every once in a blue moon. Most of what I said above comes from personal experience training myself and a few friends and family members about firearms.

EDIT: If this is legitimate research, I'll also add that I take most of what I read from a forum about firearms with a grain of salt unless I've seen/done something myself.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Guys, you're misunderstanding what he is saying.

Awerbuck will tell you that the middle finger around the grip is all that's needed to hold the gun, and as long as the fundimentals of trigger press and sight alignment are adheared to, you will get a hit. James is saying, basically, the same thing.

Yes, stance and grip can effect you ability to hit (both positive and negative.) In my experience, grip and stance allow a person to shoot faster, not more "accurately". Accuracy is a byproduct of proper trigger press and sight alignment working together.

Stance helps index the gun and steady it during the press. Grip helps steady it and index it, as well. But stance and grip go right out the window when you find yourself on your back with your support arm shot. It's at that point that the basics of sight alignment and trigger press become all that matters, and that's what must be mastered in order for the rest to be of any help.

And of course, grip and stance can create just as many problems as they solve, and have to be worked through in training.

Now, I don't aways agree with James on things, but he's a good instructor, as well as a true warrior who is devoted to the art at a level most couldn't even pretend to be. And generally what I have found is that people who want to disagree with him are doing so because there is something about his presence or presentation that bother them and they are just using the content as an excuse to dislike his personality.

I'm not here to defend or detract from him, but I agree with most (not all) of what he says in this video.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I haven't taken *formal* training, but I have done a bit of shooting in my time. I can hit my target with relative speed and accuracy.

Let's start a list from the first eight minutes (the first eight I could handle).

-your pinky (or grip for that matter) has no bearing on your shooting.

WHAT A CROCK OF BULL.

-accurizing = loss of reliabilty

Adding an updated bushing on a Smith 3rd gen. autoloader or 1911 style firearm has no bearing on reliability and improves accuracy.

-more reliable = less accurate

I think we've all seen that video of an old Mosin with a WWII era scope hitting a target 1,000 yards away. What's more reliable than a bolt action?

Now if you don't accept that example, I'll apply it to handguns:

Glocks. 'nuff said.

-If you give a woman a revolver, she should be insulted.

I happen to like revolvers, so I recommend a revolver to a woman if she is considering carry BECAUSE the women I know don't shoot like most men. They leave a gun loaded and don't pay attention to regular maintenance. A revolver is less picky than an autoloader.

-If a woman can't rack a slide, you should still give her an autoloader over a revolver so she has 16+ rounds instead of 5-6.

If she can't rack the slide, what good are those 16 rounds?

-a better trigger does not equal better shooting, training does.

This is slightly true, but it takes a lot more training to get a rough trigger down to where you know how it works versus a 3 pound trigger that resets the same way every time. More training = more ammo = money spent. Might as well get the smoothed out trigger to save money and make training easier.

So these are just the ones on the top of my head and if I watched the whole video I'm sure I'd catch a few more gems hidden in there. No disrespect to you but that guy doesn't really know what he is talking about.

Wow. Those are just some amazingly bad statements about women and guns. I'm actually embaressed for you.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Wow. Those are just some amazingly bad statements about women and guns. I'm actually embaressed for you.

What did I say that was supposed to be embarrassing about women and guns? I said the women I KNOW, not any random woman. My mom can't rack most slides. I recommended her a revolver. I'll tell her next time I visit how she should feel insulted.

Top Bottom