• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    OK, I'm still trying to buy everything to start loading and I've been reading on a lot of other sites along with this one. I ran across something that I hadn't thought of yet, so I thought I'd ask on here. What is the highest BC bullet that I can run in a semi-auto, standard ar15 magazine? I wanted to buy some 75gr A-max but now I'm not sure they'll work because of the overall length. I'm sure there are a lot of tricks but I just want a safe, standard answer. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Your probably right, but how do you start? The options/combinations are endless and most of the time the bullets are sold in 100pk. I guess I was just wanting to get something that I could start with? Thanks.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    No go on 75 amax for ar magazines. Try some 75 grain match hornadys, nosler 77 grain. Good hard hitting and super accurate bullets with 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrels. My favorite is 24.0 grains of varget or re-15 with nosler 77 grain projectiles.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Bullet slection and OAL??

Your probably right, but how do you start? The options/combinations are endless and most of the time the bullets are sold in 100pk. I guess I was just wanting to get something that I could start with? Thanks.

Bullet Samples for Sale-Sportsman Rifle Bullets
    ^^^With this you can order as many, or as few as you like.

No go on 75 amax for ar magazines. Try some 75 grain match hornadys, nosler 77 grain. Good hard hitting and super accurate bullets with 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrels. My favorite is 24.0 grains of varget or re-15 with nosler 77 grain projectiles.
    Hodgdon's Data list for Varget:
    75gr. Berger VLD@ 25.0C for 2907fps.
    77gr. Sierra HPBT@ 23.7C for 2737fps.
    The "C" stands for Compressed Loads-will overfill the case-Easier with a drop tube funnel.
    BOTH are MAX loads listed-(I would back off .5 to 1.0gr. at least to start with).

And THANKS for the Rep..Bill.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Great, thanks for the other website I'll check it out. Thanks for all of the input.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

The "C" stands for Compressed Loads-will overfill the case-Easier with a drop tube funnel.
    BOTH are MAX loads listed-(I would back off .5 to 1.0gr. at least to start with).8

Yea I know. Their load data is always been very weak. I worked mine up from 21 grains or so. In my experience varget likes to be compressed. I load mine on a lnl-ap with not to many problems. Every now and then I get a spill over from the powder not flowing into tne case neck.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    This site is a little different. I think I placed an order last night but I'm not sure? They didn't ask any questions, address, payment method? I haven;t received an email from them today either. How does it normally work?:dunno:

BOTH are MAX loads listed-(I would back off .5 to 1.0gr. at least to start with).8

Yea I know. Their load data is always been very weak. I worked mine up from 21 grains or so. In my experience varget likes to be compressed. I load mine on a lnl-ap with not to many problems. Every now and then I get a spill over from the powder not flowing into tne case neck.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Where to start depends on what you want to do with the rifle and more importantly the twist rate of the barrel. For example I have a 1-9" barreled AR and I wanted to puch tiny holes in paper at distance. I went with a 69grn SMK and it shoots darn near in the same hole. I picked up some 68grn Hornady match since they are cheaper to try out.

You will need a faster twist if you want to go any higher than 69grn. Not sure on OAL since I have never loaded anything that long. I am sure there is a way since the military is shooting 90grn VLD at a 1000.

Top Bottom