• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i bout 100 brand new winchester .223 brass. just wondering if i have to put the casings through my sizing die, or do i have to trim it before i prime,charge and load them????? or can i just finish them outa the package????? thanks everyone.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    DO size..

i bout 100 brand new winchester .223 brass. just wondering if i have to put the casings through my sizing die, or do i have to trim it before i prime,charge and load them????? or can i just finish them outa the package????? thanks everyone.

Yea, "j" you DO need to size new brass. It will make for even case neck tension, and iron out any dents/dings that may have happened in shipping.

You will find after sizing that the OAL will be fairly even on the low side of OAL.
    If you are loading flat base bullets, I like to chamfer the case mouths also with my deburr tool. This does make the bullet seating go a lot better...Bill.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    ok i admit i screwed up and primed it before sizing, i can pull the decamping pin out and still size it correctly, right???

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    ok if i pop out the primer can i reuse them or does that cause permanent damage to the primer??? i can just buy more , just trying to save a buck

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Yes pull the pin..

If your die set is like mine (RCBS) pull the pin, make sure to leave the expander ball on the stem. Lube the cases(inside+out)...Bill..

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    ok so bottom tip of pin just above the actual bottom of die, so the pin isn't sticking out of the die? correct?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Redding Die...

Yea, "j", after you get some loads "Under your Belt", go ahead and get you a Redding .223 die set. With it, add on the carbide expander button....All the difference in the world...When you pull out a sized case, over the expander, it's slicker than SNOT....Bill.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Yea, "j", after you get some loads "Under your Belt", go ahead and get you a Redding .223 die set. With it, add on the carbide expander button....All the difference in the world...When you pull out a sized case, over the expander, it's slicker than SNOT....Bill.

I've loaded 1000's of .223's on Lee dies, I see no need for him to switch unless he totally fubars the Lee, or he just wants something else. Not trying to pick a fight about it. But if they work, and produce quality rounds why tell him to switch? I have Lee and RCBS dies and presses. All make ammo that goes bang. The only good thing about RCBS dies is if you break the de-priming pin you don't have to replace the sizing pin.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i; have stick wit lee cause I'm broke. iv loaded before but not in fired brass. i assumed it was good to go out the package. thats what i get for assuming.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    No Problem Here..

I've loaded 1000's of .223's on Lee dies, I see no need for him to switch unless he totally fubars the Lee, or he just wants something else. Not trying to pick a fight about it. But if they work, and produce quality rounds why tell him to switch? I have Lee and RCBS dies and presses. All make ammo that goes bang. The only good thing about RCBS dies is if you break the de-priming pin you don't have to replace the sizing pin.

I have had (And Sold) Lee .223 dies. I have (And Use) RCBS+Redding .223 dies. What I was pointing out to "j" is the option that Redding has with it's carbide expander button.

As far as that goes, The Lee Loader will?? "produce quality rounds", so why would someone want to buy a press--Heck just buy a Lee Loader+a plastic hammer??

You're right, red_ it just depends on if "he just wants something else."---OR an Upgrade...Bill.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Bottom line: You can adjust any die set with which I am familiar, such that it will size the neck without touching the primer at all.

What I almost always do with new bottle-necked brass is short-stroke the arm on my press: I run the case up far enough that the neck goes through the expander on the depriming stem, but not enough to touch the primer. Easy peasy. :)

Top Bottom