• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    With the season winding down I called up Jim, a good buddy of mine, and told him to "clear your Thursday and Friday morning schedule because we are hunting." Thursday morning was a bust with only one long beard seen (I believe the one which he killed the next day). I had seen this bird on every hunt but he was very decoy shy and timid of his own shadow. The bird skirted behind us at 80 yards just as we were going to call it a morning. So on Friday morning we set up at an end of the farm that I had never hunted, just for a different look. After a coyote ran a nice tom out of the field, we had the tom that Jim ended up killing again skirt behind us at 100 yards or so. Jim let a couple jakes walk that would have made an easy end to the hunt as well. Then at about 125 yards or so away, out steps the timid long beard. It took him about 45 minutes to close the distance to 32 yards. While he was coming, we had 3 long beards coming in from in front of us. I told Jim it was his choice, shoot the timid bird or wait to see what the 3 coming in hot were going to do. Jim decided a bird in hand was better than any other option. So at 32 yards Jim ended the elusive bird's reign. A nice 22# bird that I had been watching for over two weeks. A great bird for a great friend.

[video=youtube;-MkCJdmCVow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkCJdmCVow[/video]

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Ha! I know Jim Anspach. Tell him to bring me a Turkey sammich when he comes to get the sawdust he called me about 2 weeks ago.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Ha! I know Jim Anspach. Tell him to bring me a Turkey sammich when he comes to get the sawdust he called me about 2 weeks ago.

Small world ... because I am the guy that he picks up the saw dust for. My daughters use it for pen bedding for their 4H turkeys every year.

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Small world ... because I am the guy that he picks up the saw dust for. My daughters use it for pen bedding for their 4H turkeys every year.

Yes.....small world for sure! Tell him he better bring me two Turkey sammiches then :D

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Outstanding. I only got to go once, but it was the first time I've gone in about 10 years. Took my daughter on her first hunt ever, wasn't really expecting to get one, and we didn't. We sat there for about an hour listening to three gobblers talking to my calling. She loved it and wants to go with me deer hunting. I'll call that a success.

Top Bottom