• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Has anyone seen any after fight pics? Even though it's back of the head mostly I would still think at some point the face touched the ground to get at least a few scuff marks.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Is it still illegal to use a sleeper to knock someone out here in Indiana? I've been on the receiving end of a person throwing haymakers. I let the kid hit me once and then moved in for a sleeper where the kid was face up and I had him wrapped up (17 and I was 20...so ten years ago). I didn't throw a punch, but was told if I pressed charges we both were going to jail. Sucks because all I did was defend my self with the least amount of force necessary.

So, for anyone interested, is it still considered a felony to knock someone out via cutting off blood/oxygen flow?

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    It's never been illegal per se to use the "sleeper" in Indiana. Strangulation (which is cutting off the blood or air flow) is a D felony and has been for a few years, but so are many things which if done in legitimate self defense would be totally legal.

Also, neither officers nor individuals "press charges"... the decision whether or not to file charges or go forward with them lies with the prosecutor. Officers do have discretion on whether to make arrests, so the officer may have been lazy, or he may have felt it was just to let both parties off and jail both if he jailed one. Don't really know enough to say more.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It's never been illegal per se to use the "sleeper" in Indiana. Strangulation (which is cutting off the blood or air flow) is a D felony and has been for a few years, but so are many things which if done in legitimate self defense would be totally legal.

Also, neither officers nor individuals "press charges"... the decision whether or not to file charges or go forward with them lies with the prosecutor. Officers do have discretion on whether to make arrests, so the officer may have been lazy, or he may have felt it was just to let both parties off and jail both if he jailed one. Don't really know enough to say more.

They asked if I'd like to press charges though??!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Link is dead, but I think I've seen the vid you're talking about -- the guy goes back to the house to fetch his baseball bat, then comes back to the fight and gets whipped, right?

Yeah, that's the one. Worked this morning. Try this one. It's working as of now.

Baseball Bats Don't Win Fights. Rear Naked choke does - YouTube

Some commonalities like - just walk away.

And some unique things, like showing how stepping into a swing can short-circuit the impact.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    A baseball bat is a poor choice unless you can play it by surprise. Its range is too specific, used conventionally like a bat.

Despite the title, I didn't see a rear naked choke in that vid. The winner's left arm looked like he had more of a [half?]-nelson. LOOKS, on a small screen, like the other arm is doing the same, for a full nelson, but I'm not sure about that, obviously. I'll watch it again on a larger screen when I get the chance. In any case, though, he demonstrates the difficulty of using a bat. Too far away and you miss, and your opponent can be on top of you before you can bring it back into play. Too close and your opponent moves into it and renders it pretty much impotent.

ETA: Maybe I should have been more clear -- it's a poor choice against a decent fighter, someone with a little training who understands range and is in a position to move to adjust and control it. Same guy duct taped to a post or pinned down where he can't move and adjust the range, different story.

I've taken classes where "attackers" used baseball bats, it's a fun scenario.

Great video, thanks for posting it.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I think some of this depends on how the person swings the bat, and what they are aiming to hit. Trying to time the swing is a gamble. Risk has two factors; probability of negative outcome, and severity of negative outcome. The probability of a hit might be lower, but the effect will be substantial if it connects. I thinkhave I'd rather get hit 10 times with a small-diameter stick than take one full swing with a bat.

A baseball bat is a poor choice unless you can play it by surprise. Its range is too specific, used conventionally like a bat.

Despite the title, I didn't see a rear naked choke in that vid. The winner's left arm looked like he had more of a [half?]-nelson. LOOKS, on a small screen, like the other arm is doing the same, for a full nelson, but I'm not sure about that, obviously. I'll watch it again on a larger screen when I get the chance. In any case, though, he demonstrates the difficulty of using a bat. Too far away and you miss, and your opponent can be on top of you before you can bring it back into play. Too close and your opponent moves into it and renders it pretty much impotent.

ETA: Maybe I should have been more clear -- it's a poor choice against a decent fighter, someone with a little training who understands range and is in a position to move to adjust and control it. Same guy duct taped to a post or pinned down where he can't move and adjust the range, different story.

I've taken classes where "attackers" used baseball bats, it's a fun scenario.

Great video, thanks for posting it.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I think some of this depends on how the person swings the bat, and what they are aiming to hit. Trying to time the swing is a gamble. Risk has two factors; probability of negative outcome, and severity of negative outcome. The probability of a hit might be lower, but the effect will be substantial if it connects. I thinkhave I'd rather get hit 10 times with a small-diameter stick than take one full swing with a bat.

all true, and part of that is what I meant by "used conventionally like a bat". Someone could use it differently and change all of those conclusions. Me, I'd take a fight against bat over a lot of other things... Maybe/probably/usually including the smaller stick you mentioned, depending on who was swinging each.

did you get the bat scenario at 0-5?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    all true, and part of that is what I meant by "used conventionally like a bat". Someone could use it differently and change all of those conclusions. Me, I'd take a fight against bat over a lot of other things... Maybe/probably/usually including the smaller stick you mentioned, depending on who was swinging each.

did you get the bat scenario at 0-5?

I did. I dont remember exactly how it went down. I believe I increased distance and went to the gun. (I.e. ran like a ***** and shot the assailant repeatedly.) Making distance was effective even with minimal reaction time. Though I did know something was coming, just not what it was.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Bats work pretty well for thrusting/poking. And you have pretty good control if you offset your hands to rotate it to whack with the big end. Of course, that's contrary to how most would use a bat.

Top Bottom