• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    After some obligatory Yen Ching (if you've never been, you just do not understand :yesway::yesway::yesway:), the bro-in-law and myself hit Pop Guns for some range time. He brought his ..380 PPK, .38 Special revolver, and Beretta PX-4 Storm. I took my 10/22 but didn't shoot it that much.

I also rented Pop's Beretta 92 (slowly falling in love with that thing :):), their XD SubCompact, and their Beretta 92 again :D. And, after letting me fondle his 9mm AR, the younger guy behind the counter actually brought it out onto the range and let us put some ammo through it. I'm so never getting into the AR game, too much $$$.

Our Guns:

.380 PPK - Starting to hate it, its got pretty sharp edges on the back side and its just downright uncomfortable to shoot. Meh.
    .38 Spl - Revolver. :rolleyes:
    Beretta PX-4 - Love that thing, but I'm more after something for USPSA, SCSA, or IDPA, and for some reason I just can't see myself using a PX-4 for those. It shoots pretty well, but not as nice as the 92.
    10/22 - Same ol', same ol', accurate and fast.

Rented stuff:
    Beretta 92 - Man, I love that thing. Its got something nearing a 5" barrel, long sight radius, and I can put 9mm rounds through a hole that's usually less than 2.5 inches at about 20-30 feet, pretty rapidly. Does anyone own one of these and use them for Steel, USPSA, IDPA, etc?
    XD SubCompact - Its got some kick in 9mm, because the sucker is tiny. Felt like last time. If I get one, it won't be a sub compact, that's for sure.

Borrowed Guns:
    Rock River Arms 9mm, 10" barrel, front foregrip - Very cool, quite accurate and fast with AR open sights. Got a chance to teach the bro-in-law to operate an AR. Still too much $$$ in that game.

Met a guy at the range (an INGO member) who had a couple of 1911s and a Springfield Armory XDm 9mm full size, and he let me put a few rounds downrange with the XDm. That was my first time shooting the full size, and I liked it a lot. I believe I was pretty accurate with it, but his target had quite a few holes in it already.

I also go to compare the M&P 9 with a silver XDM and regular XD. The M&P seems a bit lighter, but I still need to shoot one. Both point well and fit my hand nicely. At least I don't have to decide until the wife lets me :D

I'll end by saying this:

mmmmm Beretta 92...:ingo:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    After some obligatory Yen Ching (if you've never been, you just do not understand :yesway::yesway::yesway:)

Thanks for the range report!

Yen Ching is the s***. When I lived on that side of town, I could never remember the name, and just called it "the angry man Chinese place" because of the mask on their sign. :): But oh man, was it good. Dragon & Phoenix platter for me, please.

HomerDrool.jpg

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hmmm....

Let me thread jack and add my range report from popguns. (two weeks ago)

Took the M&P and the Smith 669 in for some trigger time. There were two asian gentlemen in the stall next to me. They were shooting some strange looking .380 a taurus 1911 and a couples othe random guns.

While loading my mag I noticed that they were shooting the .380 with both hands FROM THE HIP!!!!!!!! This I have absolutely never seen before...but whatever. I began to shoot and I notice that they are also shooting, but I dont see a target. I step back and THEY ARE SHOOTING THE TARGET FROM ABOUT 6 FEET AWAY!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!

There aim was so bad that they were nailing the pole in the middle with every shot...OMG OMG!!!!! I figured I was gonna get shot, or a rechochet. So I packed up and left. Not to mention the horrible shot placement at 6 feet from your target...LOL.

Ok, im done continue...

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    Yeah, there must be a dozen non-kill shots. Nevermind with the 4 boxes of ammo that IS a kill shot. Keep beating yourself up about it! LOL!

Nice shooting !

Hunt4Fun

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    We have a Yen Ching restaurant down here in Evansville that has pretty outrageous curry chicken.

Great food and the price is right. Less than 5 bucks for lunch.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Beretta 92 - Does anyone own one of these and use them for Steel, USPSA, IDPA, etc?

I have a 92F with a lightened trigger and polished internals that I used to shoot steel with. I switched to a Glock, as you have to shoot the Beretta from DA, versus the quasi single-action of the Glock.

IMG_3479.jpg

When competing against more experienced and better shooters, you've gotta take advantage of every potential opportunity to improve your times.:D

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    I have a 92F with a lightened trigger and polished internals that I used to shoot steel with. I switched to a Glock, as you have to shoot the Beretta from DA, versus the quasi single-action of the Glock.

When competing against more experienced and better shooters, you've gotta take advantage of every potential opportunity to improve your times.:D

So noted. Pop's 92 has a very nice DA trigger pull, but i totally get what you're saying with the striker-fire guns. I'm juuuuuust about down to the XDM 4.5" and M&P 9mm, no clue which between those though. Still haven't shot an M&P. :popcorn:

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So noted. Pop's 92 has a very nice DA trigger pull, but i totally get what you're saying with the striker-fire guns. I'm juuuuuust about down to the XDM 4.5" and M&P 9mm, no clue which between those though. Still haven't shot an M&P. :popcorn:

I have an M&P 9. Lets set up a range date on a weekend and ill let you give her a whirl...

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    sounds like a good day at the range :yesway: I had a nice day myself on Sunday, spent a good 4 hours putting many rounds downrange with a few fellow members :D:rockwoot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you really want a Beretta 92...

Install a "D" spring (the double-action only models) will REALLY lighten up that initial trigger pull without causing any reliability issues.

That, and you'll have to practice more as to not muff your first shot due to the trigger.

But no "stable" is complete without one....in my opinion. And no, mine's not complete. lol

-J-

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    sounds like a good day at the range :yesway: I had a nice day myself on Sunday, spent a good 4 hours putting many rounds downrange with a few fellow members :D:rockwoot:

At pops? I was there for an hour a so too....wonder if you were the guys next to me with the pelican like cases of guns... hmmmmmm

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Beretta 92 - Does anyone own one of these and use them for Steel, USPSA, IDPA, etc?

Yes, they are cetainly used. I shoot a 92 for all of those competitions you mention. I made "Master" in IDPA w/ a standard 92FS before upgrading an Elite model.

Berettas have been used to win at least one IDPA championship, and there are a couple of USPSA Grand Masters using them. But they are certainly no where near as common as 1911/2011s or Glock.

Double Action takes a bit of practice, but I believe it makes you a better shooter overall. The basic FS has a couple of minor shortcomings which the Elite models addressed, but unfortunately they no longer make anything but the FS (and that goofy "90-two"). But you'll be fine w/ a 92FS for many years.

They are as reliable and durable as anything else out there.

They don't have the aftermarket support that other platforms do. A significant draw-back to the FS is that you cannot change the front sight.

I'll be honest and say I think that either a 1911 or glock suits the competitions better, but you have to be comfortable with your equipment... so if you prefer a 92 over the others, by all means shoot it.

-rvb

-rvb

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Yes, they are cetainly used. I shoot a 92 for all of those competitions you mention. I made "Master" in IDPA w/ a standard 92FS before upgrading an Elite model.

Berettas have been used to win at least one IDPA championship, and there are a couple of USPSA Grand Masters using them. But they are certainly no where near as common as 1911/2011s or Glock.

Double Action takes a bit of practice, but I believe it makes you a better shooter overall. The basic FS has a couple of minor shortcomings which the Elite models addressed, but unfortunately they no longer make anything but the FS (and that goofy "90-two"). But you'll be fine w/ a 92FS for many years.

They are as reliable and durable as anything else out there.

They don't have the aftermarket support that other platforms do. A significant draw-back to the FS is that you cannot change the front sight.

I'll be honest and say I think that either a 1911 or glock suits the competitions better, but you have to be comfortable with your equipment... so if you prefer a 92 over the others, by all means shoot it.

-rvb

-rvb

Thanks for the input! My recent direction has taken me more towards an XDM or M&P 9mm. I'm not yet sure how far down the road my purchase is, either.

ABCIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had a Taurus PT100 that I ended up selling several years ago. :wallbash:

Put lots thousands of rounds through it over about 4 or 5 years. Only problem I had was a broken locking block. Sent it back to Taurus and they replaced the locking block and barrel free of charge.

Now that I'm trying to get back into handguns, I find myself comparing everything I puck up to it.

ABC

Top Bottom