• ...and so much more!
  • KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Yet another scenario from me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VdXYY9QJdbg#t=458s

If a bad guy has shot someone, and is fleeing like in the video above, are you justified in using lethal force? My worry is that by the time I drew to dispatch the threat, he would have been heading for the door and I would shoot him in the back. Would I be legally justified in this situation?

I'm assuming not since the split second that has taken me to draw my firearm has given him a chance to stop his attempted murder and flee. But I'm curious as to how you all feel.

Last edited:

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Yes what they said. Jail time for sure. But very good question. I try to always play out different scenarios in my head and find answers now,so I'm not show it by a judge later. God forbid. Now let's say he shot someone and as you draw your gun he runs,but as he runs he aims for someone else. Now we still have a threat. Or the real hard one ,he is running away from you but points his gun back at you. If my life is on the line I'm shooting but I hit him in the back I'm praying there are good witnesses or I will have a hard time convincing the jury it was self defense.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Yet another scenario from me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VdXYY9QJdbg#t=458s

If a bad guy has shot someone, and is fleeing like in the video above, are you justified in using lethal force? My worry is that by the time I drew to dispatch the threat, he would have been heading for the door and I would shoot him in the back. Would I be legally justified in this situation?

I'm assuming not since the split second that has taken me to draw my firearm has given him a chance to stop his attempted murder and flee. But I'm curious as to how you all feel.

If the bad guy has already committed one felony and you believe based on the "evidence" presented to you that he will commit another felony or harm another person after he flees or while he is fleeing, you have the legal right to shoot him in the back. You would be attempting to prevent the commission of further felony(ies) or harm to a third party.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Tried watching your video, no luck.

IANAL

I've read if a felony is being committed you have legal backing if you use lethal force.

That being said, who cares, stop playing out scenarios where you get to shoot someone, if it ever happens you will never be the same. Don't look forward to it, look to die of old age having never had to draw.

If you are in fear of your life or that of a loved one, use lethal force, otherwise be a good witness, stopping bad guys is for the police.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    First, hire Massad Ayoob. He will explain that given the reaction time of the shooter, by the time the bullet actually gets there, his back may be turned, but he may have been facing you when you pulled the trigger....assuming the evidence backs that up.

Now, if you made a decision to shoot when the perp is fleeing.....more problematic, but not indefensible.....a lot harder to defend.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Tried watching your video, no luck.

IANAL

I've read if a felony is being committed you have legal backing if you use lethal force.

That being said, who cares, stop playing out scenarios where you get to shoot someone, if it ever happens you will never be the same. Don't look forward to it, look to die of old age having never had to draw.

If you are in fear of your life or that of a loved one, use lethal force, otherwise be a good witness, stopping bad guys is for the police.
    Apologies, but I would like to know the limits of the law as they relate to self-defense. There is no better way to test boundaries than by discussing scenarios such as this one. I hope to never have to use my weapon in self-defense, but if the need arises, I want to be sure I am doing it well within the law.

Thank you everyone else for your opinions on the matter.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Apologies, but I would like to know the limits of the law as they relate to self-defense. There is no better way to test boundaries than by discussing scenarios such as this one. I hope to never have to use my weapon in self-defense, but if the need arises, I want to be sure I am doing it well within the law.

Thank you everyone else for your opinions on the matter.

No apology needed, re-read that and i guess it did come out negative.

What I meant was, use your own reaction at the time, dead men don't get tried, and chances are you won't have the time to think about the scenario when it's happening.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    i dont know, when it happeneds yes you wont have time to play out a scenario to see if it relates to the one happening. but dont we practice shooting for the same reason so we dont have to think how to use our gun when its happening. i think scenarios are kind of mental practice. i mean lets face it we have all heard stories of people pulling thier guns in a situation that it didnt call for it. If those people would have thought about scenarios or ask questions, they might of done differently. by preparing for it mentally it makes it a none thinking skill.It takes the worries out of it and lets you worry about the task at hand. If not lizerdking, you have to admit that at least sound like i knew what i was talking about.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    >OP: Here is my two cents worth, short and quite simple. I too think out, and evaluate scenarios as a few and you have stated, but in the real life situation, and I speak from a few experiences, you will know deep in your heart just how far you will have to go in that self defense situation. One of mine involved a road rager who changed his mind once I pulled on him, no shots fired, and he left the scene, another was a shots fired in the vicinity, my partner and I both drew only as a precaution but again, we did not engage as suspect fled the area and no one was injured.

You would not believe the scenarios I play out, nor some of the considerations I run through even in a simple restaurant situation. Ideas on escape avenues for my family, how would an attack come, what are my safe shooting lanes from my table, how could I maneuver to best exploit cover and concealment to quickly dispatch a threat.... Am I paranoid? No, but these are the things that I mentally try to sort out, situational awareness.

Trust me in this, the last thing you are ever going to WANT to do is shoot someone, but if the NEED arises, you will comprehend and do what is neccessary only through practice and playing out the scenarios in your head. Practice makes perfect right?

Best of wishes

Top Bottom