• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    Soon I will have an income and I am contemplating upgrading the scope on my Remington 700 SPS Tactical chambered in .308. Currently I have a Nikon Prostaff 4x12 mounted on it. The Nikon does the job just fine, it just kinda feels cheap. Ive mainly been looking at Vortex scopes because I have a Vortex Viper on my Savage .223 and I really like the scope. I know there are a lot of good scopes available, so brand doesn't matter to me. I just don't know what is best for me. I will mainly target shoot and occasionally coyote hunt with the gun. The field that I target shoot at is about 800 yards. These two scopes interest me, I just don't know which is better for my situation. I feel like the 6x24 would be a little too powerful for what I do.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1<br />(MRAD)

Vortex Optics - Viper HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1<br />(MOA)

Here is a picture of the gun

Thanks

Last edited:

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    Nice pic! See if mine looks similar? I have used Nikon's M-308 scope on Rem. 700 SPS for a year now and love it. I like the BDC model because it allows me to dial in the ammo that shoots the best from my rifle. If you are concerned about the accuracy of the BDC when you use Spot On, I have shot soda can's at 600 yards and let guy's who had never tried a BDc reticle do the same. Believe me, it makes believer's out of them quickly. I hope this helps? Just FYI, the M-308 is included in a big Nikon Promo right now too.

M-308-3.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Of your options I would go with the 4-16. The reason I say that is Coyote hunting in Indiana occasionally requires close moving shots, and 6x is difficult in thick brush. 16x is more than enough for target shooting at 800yds.

If you don't need the illumination of the PST model you might look at the Viper HST 4-16 as well.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I had a PST 4-16 MOA on my pseudo-target rifle, but decided I wanted a lower bottom-end magnification for hunting situations and switched to a FFP 2.5-10x HS-LR. I had a 6-24x Viper PST as well, but I couldn't justify using it for anything but a "target" gun since the FoV felt limited <100yds.

Between the two models you listed, I would go with the 4-16x PST. If illumination is not important, I might also suggest you look at the SWFA 3-15x FFP. It gives up the illumination, but gains FFP and has excellent glass.

whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. When the time comes I will definitely look at those scopes.

Is that the aac-sd model? I really wanted one, but I couldn't find one so I bought the sps tactical. I am happy with it.
    Nice pic! See if mine looks similar? I have used Nikon's M-308 scope on Rem. 700 SPS for a year now and love it. I like the BDC model because it allows me to dial in the ammo that shoots the best from my rifle. If you are concerned about the accuracy of the BDC when you use Spot On, I have shot soda can's at 600 yards and let guy's who had never tried a BDc reticle do the same. Believe me, it makes believer's out of them quickly. I hope this helps? Just FYI, the M-308 is included in a big Nikon Promo right now too.

M-308-3.jpg

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Of your options I would go with the 4-16. The reason I say that is Coyote hunting in Indiana occasionally requires close moving shots, and 6x is difficult in thick brush. 16x is more than enough for target shooting at 800yds.

If you don't need the illumination of the PST model you might look at the Viper HST 4-16 as well.

I'll second this!!!
    I've got the Viper HS 4-16x44 and love it. They also make it in a 50mm objective (I wanted to save weight on my hunting rig)
    I would much prefer the low end to be 4x rather than 6x for my shooting/hunting.
    If it were a dedicated target gun,then I'd change my answer here :)

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    What's the promo thru Nikon ??? What's the going price on said scopes.
    I'd like to get a good sight for my AR. I have a vortex strike force, and find it hard to keep a tight group with the red dot. I feel I can move my head and put the dot on target as to moving the rifle to get on target, if that makes sence.
    I am no expert on this topic so my apologies if I sound silly.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What's the promo thru Nikon ??? What's the going price on said scopes.
    I'd like to get a good sight for my AR. I have a vortex strike force, and find it hard to keep a tight group with the red dot. I feel I can move my head and put the dot on target as to moving the rifle to get on target, if that makes sence.
    I am no expert on this topic so my apologies if I sound silly.

It would have to be one hell of a promo to get the M-308 down to the same return on investment as the Vortex VHST or PST. Don't get me wrong the Nikon M-308 is a good scope that will get the job done, but its not in the same league as the HST, or PST and its the same money as the HST.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    With that being said, what a an average scope with cross hairs, no red dot, that's good to be mounted atop an AR

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    With that being said, what a an average scope with cross hairs, no red dot, that's good to be mounted atop an AR

I circle back to the first post I made in this thread. If you are trying to find a reason not to go with one of the first 2 scopes you linked your going to have a rough time doing that.

I think your to the stage you would be best served to give me a call at 765-580-0986. Its so much easier to walk someone through this process on the phone VS on a keyboard.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ha... Yes it did...
    What's a an average, mid grade sight with cross hairs?

Out of all my sales the average lands near the 500 dollar mark (is that what your asking?)

The 2 scopes you listed in your first post run 699, and 629, so I'm guessing your in the neighborhood?

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Ha... Yes it did...
    What's a an average, mid grade sight with cross hairs?

I sense your question is reasonably close to the OP's, but are your needs similar?

FWIW, I would consider the mid-range for an AR scope to be anywhere from $450-750. In that price range, I find a number of scopes that offer a combination of: "good" glass, functional reliability (tracking & repeatability), and enhanced features (4x or 5x magnification range, mil- or moa-based reticle, illumination, "tactical" turrets, side-focus, adjustment range, etc.) Although many AR owners opt for scopes with a sizable feature set, I also believe a few scopes are available in that range which offer superior glass and maintain the reliability but have a much smaller feature set.

For reference, a few of what I consider "typical" mid-range AR scopes:

Vortex 1-4x, 2.5-10x, & 4-16x PST scopes
    Vortex 4-16x HS-T
    Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 scope line
    Leupold VXR 1.25-4x & 3-9x scopes
    Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4x & 3-9x scopes
    SWFA SS 3-9x & 3-15x FFP scopes

Off these, I tend to believe the Vortex & SWFA options are the better values.

And a few that I would expect to offer "better" glass, but limited features:
    Zeiss Conquest 1.2-5x
    Swarovski Z3 3-9x
    Nikon Monarch 7 2.5-10x
    Meopta MeoPro 3-9x & 4-12x rifle scopes

Folks, please correct me if you feel I am off with any of this ...

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I sense your question is reasonably close to the OP's, but are your needs similar?

FWIW, I would consider the mid-range for an AR scope to be anywhere from $450-750. In that price range, I find a number of scopes that offer a combination of: "good" glass, functional reliability (tracking & repeatability), and enhanced features (4x or 5x magnification range, mil- or moa-based reticle, illumination, "tactical" turrets, side-focus, adjustment range, etc.) Although many AR owners opt for scopes with a sizable feature set, I also believe a few scopes are available in that range which offer superior glass and maintain the reliability but have a much smaller feature set.

For reference, a few of what I consider "typical" mid-range AR scopes:

Vortex 1-4x, 2.5-10x, & 4-16x PST scopes
    Vortex 4-16x HS-T
    Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 scope line
    Leupold VXR 1.25-4x & 3-9x scopes
    Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4x & 3-9x scopes
    SWFA SS 3-9x & 3-15x FFP scopes

Off these, I tend to believe the Vortex & SWFA options are the better values.

And a few that I would expect to offer "better" glass, but limited features:
    Zeiss Conquest 1.2-5x
    Swarovski Z3 3-9x
    Nikon Monarch 7 2.5-10x
    Meopta MeoPro 3-9x & 4-12x rifle scopes

Folks, please correct me if you feel I am off with any of this ...

Sounds about right to me, I would personally move the Monarch 7 to the mid grade, but that's a coin flip.

My confusion started because I thought mrpoc1 was the op.

@ mrpoc1, as others have mentioned we need a ton more info. What I consider mid grade, and Donald Trump's definition of mid grade are completely different things, and we have no clue where you fall on the spectrum.

Top Bottom